RemedySpot.com

Bells Palsy.. (off topic)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thanks nne.. it was that way with me too with Bells Palsy (so sudden). I woke up, and was getting ready for work and putting on my lipstick and my lips felt weird, sort of tingly, or a little like they do with novacaine, I couldn't press them together right.

By the next hour the tingle moved up to my nose... then my cheekbone to my eyelid, to my forehead to the top of my crown within maybe 6 hrs? .... (all on the left side) I knew immediately though what it was and I went to a doctor by the end of that day. If you don't treat it quickly like within 48 to 77 hrs (3 days) they say it's much harder to get things back.. You can bet I hustled and saw about 5 doctors in that short a time as well, an eye doctor, had an MRI, the GP, a Neurologist, and an Ear doctor, AND spent the next 24 to 48 hrs on the computer digging and digging. *grin*... :)

I knew it was supposed to be viral (still a theory tho most believe it) and I ran across several articles by physicians who said they used Doxycyline (an antibiotic) for it and it worked. That was my next hurdle to overcome. Trying to get a hold of some since they all said it was viral... not bacterial. arghhhhhhhhhhh again with these doctors. *sigh* and they could care less what the articles said. It's viral and that's it!

I had to go thru 5 doctors to get a hold of some.. and finally the last one said ''Sure what's it gonna do but maybe give you the 'runs''.. THANK GAWD... because within 24 hrs of taking the first one it started to reverse itself to where I could see a front tooth (of all things) with trying to smile. Now that doctor said he was going to use it with his future Bells Palsy patients, he was amazed. What was so sad when I'd mentioned to my gyne (much later) He told me in that one month he'd delivered 3 babies with it. *sigh*... what a shame that would be.

Anyway it was horrible as not a single muscle works on one side of your face.. (But not a single wrinkle though either, absolutely smooth and not a crease anywhere.) LOL.... but you can't shut your eyelid at all, so you have to tape it shut to sleep so it doesn't dry the eye out, you can't smile (and I'm a real smiler), and you can't eat or drink anything either. your mouth muscles won't work right and you can't press your lips together.

All food & drink just slobbers and drools out the side of your mouth. (Truly picture Quasi Moto and it's exactly how distorted you look, esp. with that eye popped WIDE OPEN... It was rough I'll tell ya to look in the mirror and it's just not 'you' looking back.

I was lucky though as it did all came back and I still have a little tiny bit of tenderness in my ear if I hear a high pitched sound or a squeal. Some have horrible pain with that, mine wasn't too bad, but it is extra sensitive.

It's a nerve (trigeminal) that gets pinched off (or swollen) that goes over the ear near the temple area and flanges out like a splayed hand over half your face and the other side has an idential one and it's just like someone pulled an electrical cord out of the socket, no energy in it to do anything, it's dead. But they say once you have it you are susceptible to it again. (holding my breath here)....

So if anyone ever gets that weird feeling you might remember this and know what it is. Don't delay treatment. :) Hugs honDee

Dee/Dee's email to neuropathic pain/slides

Dee – I am glad that you recovered from the Bells Palsy. I knew someone who had it and it took him a long time for him to get better. It is a very strange condition – he just woke up with it one morning.

nne

Guest guest

I don't get it, is it bacterial?

Dee/Dee's email to neuropathic pain/slides

Dee – I am glad that you recovered from the Bells Palsy. I knew someone who had it and it took him a long time for him to get better. It is a very strange condition – he just woke up with it one morning.

nne

Like movies? Here's a limited-time offer: Blockbuster Total Access for one month at no cost.