RemedySpot.com

Re: Nose Irritation when using cannula???

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Joan

I think many have the nose issues you mention. Not sure how many of these you've already tried but here are a few suggestions:

1-Make sure you're using humidification

2-Use different brands of cannulas. Find those that feel best but consider rotating too. Most suppliers provide Salter. Hudson Softech is much softer. Softhose which is only available directly from the owner (softhose.com) is used by several here. Also, Westmed and others have cannulas.

3-Flip cannula over sometimes, prongs up instead of down, just so it hits differently.

4-Cut prongs to shorten and change where they hit.

5-Consider alternatives to cannulas when at home or sleeping such as masks or Oxyarm. Here are some examples:

http://www.tri-medinc.com/TM/cannula_masks_index.html#AOCM

6. Don't put so much that you ingest it but Ayr or Ocean Spray are used by many to relieve the discomfort. Ayr comes in spray in addition to gel. These are both available in most pharmacies. I can't see how an antibiotic such as you're trying would help prevent the bleeding or discomfort, although they will help prevent infection and could help healing. However, when I had my VATS, they did have me rub Neosporin in my nose prior to surgery (while using oxygen although most of us have heard we shouldn't) in order to protect me from getting staph infection from my own staph. But it wasn't for comfort.

7. Use steam devices or solutions to open and moisten your nose. Several here have done so although I haven't.

8. If allergies are contributing and adding to the irritation you might see about a nasal antihistamine.

9. If you don't require oxygen to maintain your sats when sitting, then do take it off when relaxing on the sofa or in a chair. I just lay it across me or hook the cannula around my neck as I can sit much of the time without and stay ok, but can't walk from the sofa to the oxygen to turn it on and off without dropping below 90. The occasional relief does help. Right now my cannula is laying right beside me with oxygen flowing. My sats are fine while sitting here typing (some days I can't do this). However, my oxygen reservoir is 20 feet away and I don't turn it off since to get up and go turn it on before putting the cannula back on would drop my oxygen to the 80's and I do get up and down a lot.

>> Hi All -> > I think I saw something about nose irritation/sores by people who use cannulas with their O2 and/or CPAP. This is something I'm trying to deal with. I've tried dabbing a tiny bit of antibiotic (bacitracin, neomycin, polysporin, etc.) on a Q-tip and then gently rotating it around the inner part of my nostril. That doesn't seem to help much and I was told to be very careful when putting anything that's an oil or gel in my nostrils as it can be aspirated and cause infection and/or pneumonia??? Do many others have this irritation (my nose bleeds from the irritation)?> > Also about the provider of O2...I'm presently using Apria, but they don't have a small portable unit (its an M-6 cylinder that must be filled from the concentrator, which takes from 1.5-2 hrs. and weighs about 10 lbs.) I don't know what's involved in changing from one provider to another (I have Medicare and TricCare for Life/Dod ins.). I need someone who is available in NC and CA (so far, I only know Apria and Lincare). Have others had good/bad experiences with your provider and what did you do? This is all new to me.> > Any comments/suggestions are welcomed.> > Thanks -> > JoanM>