RemedySpot.com

RE: New and Unsure

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I it was me, I would keep an eye on her head and ears for now and see what happens. Your daughter is so young that you have at least two more months before you have to make a decision. I have a now eight months old. We noticed her flattening when she was four months old and since it didn't get better, banded her two weeks ago. Her pediatrician also didn't think it was a big deal, but we didn't want to take any chances. He told us that it would get better some on its own, but of course couldn't tell us how much it would get better. We kept waiting and didn't see any improvement on its own so we banded. If your daughter still has asymmetrie when she is seven months old, I would go back for an assessment and then seriously start thinking about banding. Good luck! narniepacella <narniepacella@...> wrote: I would appreciate any advise. I have an almost 5 month old daughter--at two months I noticed some flattening to the back of the right side of her head and that her ears were asymmetrical. I brought it to my pediatrician's attention--and he was mostly just concerned that her head was continuing to grow bigger and that she didn't have premature fusing. We went back one month later to check head circumference and her head was growing properly so his recommendation was that she would grow out of her flattening with time, no worries. But I continued to worry and got a second opinion from

another pediatrician. The second pediatrician said toricollis and gave neck exercises instructions with a referral to cranial technologies--she told me I could go to cranial technololgies not because my daughter needs a band, but to get more specific stretching exercises. At Cranial Technologies she was rated as a low to moderate case--they didn't think torticollis was an issue,left the option to band up to me saying I could continue to keep placing her on her left side (keep her off of the flat side) or I could band for probably 8 weeks and get good results. I don't know what to do... Of course, I want to do what's best for my daughter. Also, they wont band her unless a pediatrician writes a rx for it, and we don't have a pediatrician who thinks its a good idea. My husband says I am pushing a non-issue. Should case be more severe for banding? Will she just grow out of this? I look at her now and I do think I see

improvements, but at the same time I'm scared of giving it too much time and not being within the optimum banding window. I would be SO grateful for any helpful advise.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

I would personally band now. My sons ped said he was fine and it would round out. It never did, we banded at 4 months are are done 9 weeks later. He was moderate. I would not wait as I have seen great correction in a fast time doing it early. Cranial is great. Good Luck and go with your gut. Tammy Dupree <tina_f528@...> wrote: I it was me, I would keep an eye on her head and ears for now and see what happens. Your daughter is so young that you have at least two more months before you have

to make a decision. I have a now eight months old. We noticed her flattening when she was four months old and since it didn't get better, banded her two weeks ago. Her pediatrician also didn't think it was a big deal, but we didn't want to take any chances. He told us that it would get better some on its own, but of course couldn't tell us how much it would get better. We kept waiting and didn't see any improvement on its own so we banded. If your daughter still has asymmetrie when she is seven months old, I would go back for an assessment and then seriously start thinking about banding. Good luck! narniepacella <narniepacella > wrote: I would appreciate any advise. I have an almost 5 month old daughter--at two months I noticed some flattening to the back

of the right side of her head and that her ears were asymmetrical. I brought it to my pediatrician's attention--and he was mostly just concerned that her head was continuing to grow bigger and that she didn't have premature fusing. We went back one month later to check head circumference and her head was growing properly so his recommendation was that she would grow out of her flattening with time, no worries. But I continued to worry and got a second opinion from another pediatrician. The second pediatrician said toricollis and gave neck exercises instructions with a referral to cranial technologies--she told me I could go to cranial technololgies not because my daughter needs a band, but to get more specific stretching exercises. At Cranial Technologies she was rated as a low to moderate case--they didn't think torticollis was an issue,left the option to band up to me saying I could continue to keep

placing her on her left side (keep her off of the flat side) or I could band for probably 8 weeks and get good results. I don't know what to do... Of course, I want to do what's best for my daughter. Also, they wont band her unless a pediatrician writes a rx for it, and we don't have a pediatrician who thinks its a good idea. My husband says I am pushing a non-issue. Should case be more severe for banding? Will she just grow out of this? I look at her now and I do think I see improvements, but at the same time I'm scared of giving it too much time and not being within the optimum banding window. I would be SO grateful for any helpful advise. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

I agree...our pediatrician also said it would round out. We ended up waiting until he was 6 months old and finally realized that it was not going to round out on it's own. We banded at 6 months. He will probably be in his band for 12-16 weeks...possibly longer if a second band is needed. I think it would have corrected sooner if we had banded at 4 months. Cranial Technologies is great.

Staci

-----Original Message-----From: Plagiocephaly [mailto:Plagiocephaly ]On Behalf Of Tammy SabsSent: Saturday, January 05, 2008 3:59 PMPlagiocephaly Subject: Re: New and Unsure

I would personally band now. My sons ped said he was fine and it would round out. It never did, we banded at 4 months are are done 9 weeks later. He was moderate. I would not wait as I have seen great correction in a fast time doing it early. Cranial is great. Good Luck and go with your gut. Tammy Dupree <tina_f528 > wrote:

I it was me, I would keep an eye on her head and ears for now and see what happens. Your daughter is so young that you have at least two more months before you have to make a decision. I have a now eight months old. We noticed her flattening when she was four months old and since it didn't get better, banded her two weeks ago. Her pediatrician also didn't think it was a big deal, but we didn't want to take any chances. He told us that it would get better some on its own, but of course couldn't tell us how much it would get better. We kept waiting and didn't see any improvement on its own so we banded. If your daughter still has asymmetrie when she is seven months old, I would go back for an assessment and then seriously start thinking about banding.

Good luck!

narniepacella <narniepacella > wrote:

I would appreciate any advise. I have an almost 5 month old daughter--at two months I noticed some flattening to the bac! k of the right side of her head and that her ears were asymmetrical. I brought it to my pediatrician's attention--and he was mostly just concerned that her head was continuing to grow bigger and that she didn't have premature fusing. We went back one month later to check head circumference and her head was growing properly so his recommendation was that she would grow out of her flattening with time, no worries. But I continued to worry and got a second opinion from another pediatrician. The second pediatrician said toricollis and gave neck exercises instructions with a referral to cranial technologies--she told me I could go to cranial technololgies not because my daughter needs a band, but to get more specific stretching exercises. At Cranial Technologies she was rated as a low to moderate case--they didn't think torticollis was an issue,left the option to band up to me saying I could continue to keep placing her on her left side (keep her off of the flat side) or I could band for probably 8 weeks and get good results. I don't know what to do... Of course, I want to do what's best for my daughter. Also, they wont band her unless a pediatrician writes a rx for it, and we don't have a pediatrician who thinks its a good idea. My husband says I am pushing a non-issue. Should case be more severe for banding? Will she just grow out of this? I look at her now and I do think I see improvements, but at the same time I'm scared of giving it too much time and not being within the optimum banding window. I would be SO grateful for any helpful advise.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Thank you for all your advise. It's such a hard decision. She's

going in for her 4 month well check up soon and I think I'll talk

more with her pediatrician then. We're in northern VA. Anybody have

good repostioning recommendations in the meantime?

> I would appreciate any advise.

> I have an almost 5 month old daughter--at two months I noticed some

> flattening to the back of the right side of her head and that her

> ears were asymmetrical. I brought it to my pediatrician's attention-

-

> and he was mostly just concerned that her head was continuing to

grow

> bigger and that she didn't have premature fusing. We went back one

> month later to check head circumference and her head was growing

> properly so his recommendation was that she would grow out of her

> flattening with time, no worries. But I continued to worry and got

a

> second opinion from another pediatrician. The second pediatrician

> said toricollis and gave neck exercises instructions with a

referral

> to cranial technologies--she told me I could go to cranial

> technololgies not because my daughter needs a band, but to get more

> specific stretching exercises. At Cranial Technologies she was

rated

> as a low to moderate case--they didn't think torticollis was an

> issue,left the option to band up to me saying I could continue to

> keep placing her on her left side (keep her off of the flat side)

or

> I could band for probably 8 weeks and get good results. I don't

know

> what to do... Of course, I want to do what's best for my daughter.

> Also, they wont band her unless a pediatrician writes a rx for it,

> and we don't have a pediatrician who thinks its a good idea. My

> husband says I am pushing a non-issue. Should case be more severe

> for banding? Will she just grow out of this? I look at her now and

> I do think I see improvements, but at the same time I'm scared of

> giving it too much time and not being within the optimum banding

> window. I would be SO grateful for any helpful advise.

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile.

Try it now.

>

My situation is very similar to yours! I may not be much help, since I am dealing with many of the same concerns/anxieties as you are but I'll share my story with you anyway. My son Logan will be 6 months old tomorrow. At his 2 month appointment he was diagnosed with torticollis and plagio. We started PT once a week. When he was about 3 months old I thought his plagio was worse and I got our Dr to refer us to a local orthodist. We went for our consultation and they took photos of Logan's head. They said it wasn't that bad and that if we wanted to we could try repositioning for 6 weeks and then come back. During the 6 weeks I repositioned like a mad woman, rarely even putting him down except to sleep. I was so sure I saw improvement and was looking forward to our appointment to show them the progress we had made.

At our follow up, I was completely shocked when they coldly announced that there was no real change. It was so disheartening. We were still undecided as to what to do since they said it was a mild/moderate case. I honestly didn't want to get a helmet but I also didn't want to have regrets later. My husband saw no reason for it and repeatedly told me Logan's head looked fine. I just couldn't let it go though.

Anyway to make a long story short, I made an appointment with Cranial Tech on Tues. and are strongly leaning toward banding him at this point. Of course I will hear what they have to say first, but I figure if he had crooked teeth we'd get him braces, so why wouldn't we do this for him? Also, like I said, I really don't want to have regrets. I know I would never regret getting it for him, but I may regret that I didn't. Even though I am still undecided myself at this point I hope I was able to help a little. It's nice to know there are others out there in the same boat anyway!

Amy from NY

Plagiocephaly From: narniepacella@...Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 03:04:53 +0000Subject: New and Unsure

I would appreciate any advise. I have an almost 5 month old daughter--at two months I noticed some flattening to the back of the right side of her head and that her ears were asymmetrical. I brought it to my pediatrician's attention--and he was mostly just concerned that her head was continuing to grow bigger and that she didn't have premature fusing. We went back one month later to check head circumference and her head was growing properly so his recommendation was that she would grow out of her flattening with time, no worries. But I continued to worry and got a second opinion from another pediatrician. The second pediatrician said toricollis and gave neck exercises instructions with a referral to cranial technologies--she told me I could go to cranial technololgies not because my daughter needs a band, but to get more specific stretching exercises. At Cranial Technologies she was rated as a low to moderate case--they didn't think torticollis was an issue,left the option to band up to me saying I could continue to keep placing her on her left side (keep her off of the flat side) or I could band for probably 8 weeks and get good results. I don't know what to do... Of course, I want to do what's best for my daughter. Also, they wont band her unless a pediatrician writes a rx for it, and we don't have a pediatrician who thinks its a good idea. My husband says I am pushing a non-issue. Should case be more severe for banding? Will she just grow out of this? I look at her now and I do think I see improvements, but at the same time I'm scared of giving it too much time and not being within the optimum banding window. I would be SO grateful for any helpful advise. Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference. Learn more