RemedySpot.com

Re: helmet painting

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I was also very nervous the first time I painted Spencer's DOC Band. If you actually want to paint it, you can use acrylic paint (It's water based, so when you want to change the design it will peel right off) Once you've applied the paint, to seal it so it wont chip, apply a coat of decoupage finish. (you can find this in the craft section). I painted my son a different design his band one a month for 3 months. I think once you've painted the helmet once, you get over the fear of messing things up. (I know I did.)

Be creative and have fun with it. :) If you want I can send you pictures of the different designs that I did for Spencer's DOC band.

Lorie

Mom to Spencer 8 months

DOC Band GRAD 9/2007-12/2007

Glendale, AZ

helmet painting

Hello everyone! My son Jaxson is 7 1/2 months and we will be picking up his helmet this Friday. I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on the best paints and stickers to use on the helmets. And also the best techniques on applying them. I am nervous I will mess up somehow and since they are VERY expensive, I want to be sure I do it right! Any other suggestions you may have for making this transition easier would be appreciated. thank you

I spent way too much time finding the perfect way to paint. I alternated though. I used clear stickers and/or painted it, I have also decoupaged it. I would type it all out but I have explanations with the pics so if you go to s manic melon blog there are pics of all his helmets from day 1 (OK not day 1 as day 1 was plain till we put stickers on that night) and it says how I did each one. What I did not get to try was decoupage with fabric, his next helmet was going to use Deere fabric b/c I couldnt find Deere stickers that werent paper but he ended up graduating.

But for paint we used foam brushes and water based acrylics. You need at least 2 layers of mod podge but too much paint and mod podge will have it start to peel like at the sideburns so I always just did 2 and 2 layers. The paint definitely looks streaky and blotchy at first, the 2nd coat makes it look so much better so dontw orry when it doesnt look right. The last painting another customer at the store recommended cream coat brand instead of the cheap stuff and that paintw orked so much better. and is still less than $2 a bottle. I also learned toward the end of his band that if you cover the band in mod podge before applying paper stickers they will peal off easily. This came in handy b/c sometimes plastic backed stickers are hard to find in the design you want. also yuo do not want thick plastic stickers, the ones we used (the zoo animals band) didnt conform to the band well so were always popping up, wrinkling and dirt was getting in the wrinkles.

There are also files on the group site with decoration recommendations.

On Jan 9, 2008 6:44 PM, heatherwheeler57 <sodomojo2some@...> wrote:

Hello everyone! My son Jaxson is 7 1/2 months and we will be picking up his helmet this Friday. I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on the best paints and stickers to use on the helmets. And

also the best techniques on applying them. I am nervous I will mess up somehow and since they are VERY expensive, I want to be sure I do it right! Any other suggestions you may have for making this transition

easier would be appreciated. thank you -- SC SAHM to , , and

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the sidewalk before it stops snowing" Phyllis Dillerwww.joeysmanicmelon.blogspot.com

www.midscbwers.blogspot.com

how do you get to joey's manic melon blog??

I spent way too much time finding the perfect way to paint. I alternated though. I used clear stickers and/or painted it, I have also decoupaged it. I would type it all out but I have explanations with the pics so if you go to s manic melon blog there are pics of all his helmets from day 1 (OK not day 1 as day 1 was plain till we put stickers on that night) and it says how I did each one. What I did not get to try was decoupage with fabric, his next helmet was going to use Deere fabric b/c I couldnt find Deere stickers that werent paper but he ended up graduating.

But for paint we used foam brushes and water based acrylics. You need at least 2 layers of mod podge but too much paint and mod podge will have it start to peel like at the sideburns so I always just did 2 and 2 layers. The paint definitely looks streaky and blotchy at first, the 2nd coat makes it look so much better so dontw orry when it doesnt look right. The last painting another customer at the store recommended cream coat brand instead of the cheap stuff and that paintw orked so much better. and is still less than $2 a bottle. I also learned toward the end of his band that if you cover the band in mod podge before applying paper stickers they will peal off easily. This came in handy b/c sometimes plastic backed stickers are hard to find in the design you want. also yuo do not want thick plastic stickers, the ones we used (the zoo animals band) didnt conform to the band well so were always popping

up, wrinkling and dirt was getting in the wrinkles.

On Jan 9, 2008 6:44 PM, heatherwheeler57 <sodomojo2some@ wavecable. com> wrote:

Hello everyone! My son Jaxson is 7 1/2 months and we will be picking up his helmet this Friday. I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on the best paints and stickers to use on the helmets. And also the best techniques on applying them. I am nervous I will mess up somehow and since they are VERY expensive, I want to be sure I do it right! Any other suggestions you may have for making this transition easier would be appreciated. thank you-- SC SAHM to , , and "Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the sidewalk before it stops snowing" Phyllis Dillerwww.joeysmanicmelon .blogspot. com www.midscbwers. blogspot. com

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

I was able to just left click on the link below.

>

> Hello everyone! My son Jaxson is 7 1/2 months and we will be

picking up

> his helmet this Friday. I just wanted to know if anyone had any

> suggestions on the best paints and stickers to use on the helmets.

And

> also the best techniques on applying them. I am nervous I will

mess up

> somehow and since they are VERY expensive, I want to be sure I do

it

> right! Any other suggestions you may have for making this

transition

> easier would be appreciated. thank you

>

>

>

>

>

> --

> SC SAHM to , , and

>

> " Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like

shoveling the sidewalk before it stops snowing " Phyllis Diller

>

> www.joeysmanicmelon .blogspot. com

> www.midscbwers. blogspot. com

>

>

>

>

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

> know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

>

sorry, it is supposed to be in my signature but I believe it is joeysmanicmelon.blogspot.com

On Jan 10, 2008 8:57 PM, Gardner <tinkmommyof3@...> wrote:

how do you get to joey's manic melon blog??

But for paint we used foam brushes and water based acrylics. You need at least 2 layers of mod podge but too much paint and mod podge will have it start to peel like at the sideburns so I always just did 2 and 2 layers. The paint definitely looks streaky and blotchy at first, the 2nd coat makes it look so much better so dontw orry when it doesnt look right. The last painting another customer at the store recommended cream coat brand instead of the cheap stuff and that paintw orked so much better. and is still less than $2 a bottle. I also learned toward the end of his band that if you cover the band in mod podge before applying paper stickers they will peal off easily. This came in handy b/c sometimes plastic backed stickers are hard to find in the design you want. also yuo do not want thick plastic stickers, the ones we used (the zoo animals band) didnt conform to the band well so were always popping up, wrinkling and dirt was getting in the wrinkles.

On Jan 9, 2008 6:44 PM, heatherwheeler57 <sodomojo2some@ wavecable. com> wrote:

Hello everyone! My son Jaxson is 7 1/2 months and we will be picking up his helmet this Friday. I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on the best paints and stickers to use on the helmets. And

also the best techniques on applying them. I am nervous I will mess up somehow and since they are VERY expensive, I want to be sure I do it right! Any other suggestions you may have for making this transition

easier would be appreciated. thank you

-- SC SAHM to , , and " Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the sidewalk before it stops snowing " Phyllis Diller

www.joeysmanicmelon .blogspot. com www.midscbwers. blogspot. com

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

-- SC SAHM to , , and

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the sidewalk before it stops snowing" Phyllis Dillerwww.joeysmanicmelon.blogspot.com

www.midscbwers.blogspot.com