RemedySpot.com

Re: New beds may help plagio regression and also fight SIDS

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Interesting. It seems to me that most people use a matress from

baby to baby...I wonder why that would pose a higher sids risk?

>

> Hello, I posted a few days ago that I was on a mattress hunt and

wanted to find something to not be too firm and also still safe. My

son graduated from the DOC band two weeks ago but I do not want to

see regression.

>

> Upon doing some research I stumbled across the website

healthychild.com and it was very interesting. Being a first time

mom, I was unaware of the dangers that the fumes found in mattresses

let off. This can be causing a great many cases of sids. I have

decided to purchase one of these cotton mattresses, I will still use

my target foam over it but I feel overall it is a better choice for

safety. ( I never knew that you are never supposted to reuse a

mattress from baby to baby because of an increased risk of SIDs) I

know this is not a SIDs website but I was researching answers to

helping plagio regression and found this helpful and informative.

Tammy

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with

Search.

>

It seems from what I have been researching that when a child sweats with a fever, or urinates and it gets to the mattress it causes chemicals of the urine and sweet to interact with the fireproofing on the mattresses which releases a form of toxic gasses. so scary huh. They say in New Zeland, they use a wrap of rubber over the mattress and have reduced the risk of sids to almost nill by coving the mattress and the toxic fumes. They say the fumes only travel about an inch over the bed. Right where a baby would be breathing, expecially if she or he is on their belly. Just FYI very interesting. Tammylka_236 <lka_236@...> wrote: Interesting. It seems to me that most people use a matress from baby to baby...I wonder why that would pose a higher sids risk?>> Hello, I posted a few days ago that I was on a mattress hunt and wanted to find something to not be too firm and also still safe. My son graduated from the DOC band two weeks ago but I do not want to see regression. > > Upon doing some research I stumbled across the website healthychild.com and it was very interesting. Being a first time mom, I was unaware of the dangers that the fumes found in mattresses let off. This can be causing a great many cases of sids. I have decided to purchase one of these cotton

mattresses, I will still use my target foam over it but I feel overall it is a better choice for safety. ( I never knew that you are never supposted to reuse a mattress from baby to baby because of an increased risk of SIDs) I know this is not a SIDs website but I was researching answers to helping plagio regression and found this helpful and informative. Tammy> > > ---------------------------------> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.>

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

my guess would be not as firm on the sids thing or maybe uneven wear?. We did and did not use baby to baby, hard to understand without knowing the story. I always knew that their were 2 things you werent supposed to pass down, a crib mattress and shoes, I always thought the mattress thingw as similiar to shoes b/c it isnt good for their back b/c they wear out and conform more in the areas the child sleeps most in, etc. W/ my 1st I didnt know this so used the used crib mattress that came with her crib but then I read about it and also read that you shouldnt use foam mattresses in toddler beds so when we got her toddler bed when she was 1 we went and bought her a spring mattress. Since she only used it for a year before we got her a twin bed I felt the mattress couldn't have much wear to it so we did pass that one on. But when #3 came along we got her a new mattress b/c her sister had used that crib mattress for another 4 years. But we kept that mattress as a spare for sleepovers, kids on my bedroom floor, etc. Then we got a 2nd crib and mattress from freecycle so we had 1 new mattress and 2 used mattresses. The 1 stayed a spare, the other was used in her crib and then toddler bed and the 3rd was used with the spare crib in the side car. When #4 came along he didnt and still doesnt sleep in a crib regularly so we had to decide what went where. We left the new mattress in her toddler bed and the 1 in the sidecar where it had been and used the other in his crib b/c he never slept in it. Probably we should have put the better one in the sidecar b/cat least ppl on occasion sleep in it lol. This week s has slept in his crib zero times, sarah has slept in her toddler bed zero times but has at least spent the beginning of the night in the sidecar (and him in the cosleeper).

Yes I have a baby bedroom noone sleeps in and a cosleeper on one side and a sidecarred crib on the other side of my bed

On Jan 11, 2008 1:41 AM, lka_236 <lka_236@...> wrote:

Interesting. It seems to me that most people use a matress from baby to baby...I wonder why that would pose a higher sids risk?>> Hello, I posted a few days ago that I was on a mattress hunt and wanted to find something to not be too firm and also still safe. My son graduated from the DOC band two weeks ago but I do not want to see regression. > > Upon doing some research I stumbled across the website healthychild.com and it was very interesting. Being a first time

mom, I was unaware of the dangers that the fumes found in mattresses let off. This can be causing a great many cases of sids. I have decided to purchase one of these cotton mattresses, I will still use my target foam over it but I feel overall it is a better choice for safety. ( I never knew that you are never supposted to reuse a mattress from baby to baby because of an increased risk of SIDs) I know this is not a SIDs website but I was researching answers to helping plagio regression and found this helpful and informative. Tammy> > > ---------------------------------> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.>

-- SC SAHM to , , and

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the sidewalk before it stops snowing" Phyllis Dillerwww.joeysmanicmelon.blogspot.com

www.midscbwers.blogspot.com

HI...we just started this process with our 6 month old son who is in the STARband.

I’m worried about his mattress as being too firm when he is done with the process.

Do you remember where you saw info on this topic? I’d like to read up on it.

Or is this common knowledge?

Best,

Cara

" 2. Place infants to sleep in a baby bed with a firm mattress. There should be nothing in the bed but the baby - no covers, no pillows, no bumper pads, no positioning devices and no toys. Soft mattresses and heavy covering are associated with the risk for SIDS. "

this is found under the what parents can do section on http://www.sids.org/nprevent.htm

On Jan 11, 2008 12:14 PM, Cara Haycak <chaycak@...> wrote:

HI...we just started this process with our 6 month old son who is in the STARband.I'm worried about his mattress as being too firm when he is done with the process.

Do you remember where you saw info on this topic? I'd like to read up on it.Or is this common knowledge?Best,Cara -- SC SAHM to , , and

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the sidewalk before it stops snowing" Phyllis Dillerwww.joeysmanicmelon.blogspot.com

www.midscbwers.blogspot.com

If you are interested the article I read was at healthychild.com and also interesting info at preventcribdeath.com. I am sure that I will never reuse a mattress now that I have read this. Hopefully it helps. Tammylka_236 <lka_236@...> wrote: Interesting. It seems to me that most people use a matress from baby to baby...I wonder why that would pose a higher sids risk?>> Hello, I posted a few days ago that I was on a mattress hunt and wanted to find something to not be too firm and also still safe. My son graduated from the DOC band two weeks ago but I do not want to see regression. > > Upon doing some research I stumbled across the website healthychild.com and it was very interesting. Being a first time mom, I was unaware of the dangers that the fumes found in mattresses let off. This can be causing a great many cases of sids. I have decided to purchase one of these cotton mattresses, I will still use my target foam over it but I feel overall it is a better choice for safety. ( I never knew that you are never supposted to reuse a mattress from baby to baby because of an increased risk of SIDs) I know this is not a SIDs website but I was researching answers to helping plagio regression and found this helpful and informative. Tammy>

> > ---------------------------------> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.>

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.