RemedySpot.com

RE: Re: for those unsure of banding

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Pam -Thanks for the quick synoposis. I just want to say that my son, born in November 1999 hit some of the criteria (was breech, large (8 lbs 14.5 oz). He was born with his very long, narrow headshape (scapocephalic) -- but sagittal craniosynostosis was ruled out with CT scan and xrays. We got the DOCband when he was almost 7 months old, though the pediatric neurosurgeon we saw was skeptical. (For the record, I would do it again in a heartbeat.) Developmentally, he didn't crawl (did an "army crawl" scooting on his belly), but was fast, and I never saw a need to bring it up to the pediatrician. He took his first steps on his first b-day. He didn't have the correct pencil grip when he was going into kindergarten so we started going to OT (Occupational Therapy). He progressed with his writing and it wasn't much of an issue, though he wouldn't exactly choose to write or draw or color much.

From the OT evaluation we found he has slight low muscle tone (hypotonia), which probably contributed to him not getting out of that breech position. For me, his odd-shaped head at birth kept me wondering about the other things that he was experiencing, but I truly think our case is not typical. For us, issues such as the hypotonia lead to his breech position (which probably lead to his headshape), but we did not find out this or other things until he was much older. He's fine, we just have to keep him active to keep his muscles strong, and help him learn ways to protect his joints, so it's good we found out when he was young.mom to Quinnshort bio with pix at http://www.cappskids.org/CAPPSPlagioKidQuinn.htm------- Original Message -------From : Pam Schraedley Desmond[mailto:pam@...]Sent : 1/12/2008 3:31:10 PMTo : Plagiocephaly Cc : Subject : RE: Re: for those unsure of banding

If you don't have time to read this... here is my (selective) summary. Kids with plagio had more developmental delays than their control siblings. Banding vs. not banding had no effect on the presence of developmental delays. Plagio kids with breech births were marginally more likely to have a delay than non-breech. Also, kids who had the plagio at birth from a constrined uterine environment were at higher risk than those who developed plagio after delivery.

All in all, the article doesn't really help explain to me why plagio is linked with delays. The breech birth result might indicate that something happened at the labor and delivery stage, or in utero. Also, the sample had some twins, but didn't analyze whether twinship or premature status had an effect on delays. Because kids with plagio are more likely to be multiples and preemies, I wonder whether that might account for the higher prevalence of delays. I have always wondered that when I heard people talk about delays.

Hope this was helpful for those of you who didn't have time to read it!

-Pam

On 1/12/08, Kami Whitney <freeflykami@...> wrote:

Just thought I would post the link to this article I found on Long-term developmental problems of children with plagio...

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/105/2/e26

Kami

Kiley 3

Keenan 5 months- DOC band 1 week

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.