RemedySpot.com

Re: How Low Can O2 Go Before Symptoms?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Sue

It is important that you keep your sats in the 90's. Only an oximeter will tell you this. Before I was on the O2 I was functioning on levels in the 60's and 70's, but because this is what my body was used to I didn't get out of breath. A bit like living at altitude.

When your body becomes starved of O2 (when your sats drop below 90) then it may cause damage to other organs. You need O2 for every cell in your body. It will depend on how strong your body is to how well you will cope re light-headedness etc. It may well be that you get sob in the lower 90's and then, assuming you stop and rest, it will go back up to normal when you stop. In which case, no you are not causing any harm. However if you were like me you may not feel like you need to rest until it is too low, which IS a problem.

It's a difficult question to answer as there are too many variables between each individual.

I hope this helps

Love Ze xx

>> I don't have an oximeter for home use yet. I was wondering what the> experience is of others when they take off the O2 and the level drops.> At what O2 level do you start to have symptoms such as shortness of> breath or light-headedness or dizziness? I can do a lot without the> O2 before I feel symptoms. Am I harming myself if I am not wearing> the O2 but I don't have symptoms?> > Thank you.> > Sue> 83 years old, Pulmonary fibrosis and NSIF, pulmonary inflammation>

Sue ... in my opinion, if you are on O2, get an oximeter. www.portablenebs.com There is one that costs $65 and many of us here have it. Works fine and is FDA approved.

I just turned 70 Sue and I think the natural aging process figures into our breathing and energy level too.

I'm not understanding why you try to do a lot without the O2... I'm presuming your Dr Rx O2 for you for some reason.

Is it the equipment you don't like? Do you use O2 at night?

You CAN harm yourself if the organs in your body are not getting enough O2 and there will not be symptoms as such, other than sob (short of breath). I mean as far as knowing if you are harming yourself...

Take good care of you!

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

How Low Can O2 Go Before Symptoms?

I don't have an oximeter for home use yet. I was wondering what theexperience is of others when they take off the O2 and the level drops.At what O2 level do you start to have symptoms such as shortness ofbreath or light-headedness or dizziness? I can do a lot without theO2 before I feel symptoms. Am I harming myself if I am not wearingthe O2 but I don't have symptoms?Thank you.Sue83 years old, Pulmonary fibrosis and NSIF, pulmonary inflammation

Sue ... in my opinion, if you are on O2, get an oximeter. www.portablenebs.com There is one that costs $65 and many of us here have it. Works fine and is FDA approved.

I just turned 70 Sue and I think the natural aging process figures into our breathing and energy level too.

I'm not understanding why you try to do a lot without the O2... I'm presuming your Dr Rx O2 for you for some reason.

You CAN harm yourself if the organs in your body are not getting enough O2 and there will not be symptoms as such, other than sob (short of breath). I mean as far as knowing if you are harming yourself...

Take good care of you!

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

I don't have an oximeter for home use yet. I was wondering what theexperience is of others when they take off the O2 and the level drops.At what O2 level do you start to have symptoms such as shortness ofbreath or light-headedness or dizziness? I can do a lot without theO2 before I feel symptoms. Am I harming myself if I am not wearingthe O2 but I don't have symptoms?Thank you.Sue83 years old, Pulmonary fibrosis and NSIF, pulmonary inflammation

Take good care of you!

Sue,

I've been told by my paleontologists and respiratory therapists, that staying above 90 is very important. Below 85, is really a point where you can do yourself some real harm. I 've also been told that there really is no downside being on the oxygen. You don't become more dependent on it, you don't increase your lung capacity ( in fact being in oxygen enable you to increase endurance), and it actually may enable you to think, function , and feel better.

I agree with Sher's excellent advice about obtaining an oximeter. I cannot always rely on how I feel performing an activity as a measure of my O2 saturation, because it's not until I have completed the activity do I experience the full effect of it.

I'm 63, early in the IPF experience, and am on 2 liter of O2 whenever I exert my self. However, I find that my thinking, working, and general energy level is better when I'm on the O2, even when what I'm doing is not physically exert.

Obviously, there may be personal reasons to try and avoid using the O2, but none of them in reality outweigh the benefits.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

G, IPF, 5-08, NJ

I LOVE MY OXYGEN!

Ok, I'm not exactly a chick magnet with a hose in my nose and it is

something else to carry around. I've worn glasses for 53 years and don't

especially like them, but I do like to see. I wonder how I would have

felt if I'd been diagnosed sooner and on oxygen (note I was put on

immediately upon diagnosis). Mostly, I don't want other problems

exacerbated, especially PH and kidney failure. I'm determined that my

lungs will be the first thing to go.

I was old, out of shape, had allergies, all these reasons to be short of

breath I thought. But, three episodes told me it was more. Those three

times I thought I would never get my breath back.

So, I honestly do love my oxygen. Its saving other organs and its

helping me to function. I remember the first time I wore a portable. I

remember sitting at home wanting to make my nightly convenience store

run and thinking too much trouble. But, I said I'm not going to let it

change me. I hooked it up and off I went. Now, its second nature and

just a normal part of my life. My family was amazed when I drove to NC

on a 17 day, 3700 mile trip on oxygen. Why not? I had a great trip.

I can honestly say for someone in my condition (and with all my

conditions) I feel good and I'm enjoying life. That wouldn't be true

without oxygen. For all those who think some will look at them funny,

then educate. But, I've found I get treated with more kindness than

ever. I'm sure some think things but I don't care.

I think two things make us fear oxygen. One, our pride. Two, the sign

that we do have an illness, that its progressed to that point. Well,

think of it as extra go-power that ordinary people don't get. I tease

about don't you wish you had a dose of this with my friends. I stand,

get ready to walk, and turn it higher and say " let me juice up. "

I do compare it to eyeglasses the first time. Especially if you were

young. But, you did it because you needed to. You didn't like it at

first, but it became normal to you. I had tried for months to get

started back on the treadmill before oxygen. I didn't know why I just

couldn't do it. After oxygen, I was shocked when I got on while hooked

up to my oxygen. I can remember. 1.5 mph at 2 liters....omg this is

easy. Let's try 2 mph at 3 liters. I can't tell a difference. I

wonder...no, surely not. Well, let's see. 2.5 mph. 3 liters, still ok,

maybe dropping a bit so 4 liters. Boy this is easy. I remember my first

time on doing it for 30 minutes and feeling so great that I could do it.

>

> Sue,

>

> I've been told by my paleontologists and respiratory therapists, that

staying above 90 is very important. Below 85, is really a point where

you can do yourself some real harm. I 've also been told that there

really is no downside being on the oxygen. You don't become more

dependent on it, you don't increase your lung capacity ( in fact being

in oxygen enable you to increase endurance), and it actually may enable

you to think, function , and feel better.

>

> I agree with Sher's excellent advice about obtaining an oximeter. I

cannot always rely on how I feel performing an activity as a measure of

my O2 saturation, because it's not until I have completed the activity

do I experience the full effect of it.

>

> I'm 63, early in the IPF experience, and am on 2 liter of O2 whenever

I exert my self. However, I find that my thinking, working, and general

energy level is better when I'm on the O2, even when what I'm doing is

not physically exert.

>

> Obviously, there may be personal reasons to try and avoid using the

O2, but none of them in reality outweigh the benefits.

>

> Hope this helps. Good luck.

>

> G, IPF, 5-08, NJ

>