RemedySpot.com

Re: Phillies Phans

Rate this topic

Guest guest

1980: oct.21st 66,00 fans at the Vet witness the Phils beating the Royals to take the 1980 World Championship. Tug McGraw fanned Willie to seal the victory. Ok, and Pink and any others. Time for a test. Why is today a veryspecial day? Brett Bowserbrett@...

Brett

Very good. Their first and, so far only, world's championship.

And Tug McGraw. You talk about living life to its fullest. Making the phrase "Ya Gotta Believe" famous for the 73 Mets and then the 80 Phillies. Making both the Mets and Phillies Hall of Fame. Becoming a legendary public figure in Philadelphia. Father of country singer, Tim McGraw. However, for any of us I think the "Ya Gotta Believe" attitude is meaningful. He lived life the best he could in the good times and then the bad. When given three weeks to live after they discovered a brain tumor, he lived nine months. During that time he went to the closing of Veterans Stadium where he recreated the final out of the Phillies 1980 win. He certainly wasn't perfect, especially in when it came to relationships and marriages, but the fullness with which he lived is a good example for all of us.

And, for entertainment purposes, some of his most famous quotes:

• Asked what he would do with the salary he was making as a pitcher, McGraw said:

"Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I'll probably waste."

• Asked by a reporter whether he preferred real grass or artificial turf, he replied:

"I don't know - I never smoked AstroTurf!"

• His "Frozen Snowball" theory of pitching:

"Ten million years from now, when the sun burns out and the earth is just a frozen snowball hurling through space, nobody's going to care whether or not I got this guy out."

• Asked why he drove a 1954 Buick:

"I like it because it plays old music."

during the 1973 and 1980 pennant races

"Ya gotta believe"

> > >> > Ok, and Pink and any others. Time for a test. Why is today a > > very> > special day?> >> >> > > > Brett Bowser> brett@...>

I know my reason, Bruce. Being able to read your post and still be

here, with God's blessings, also that the Phillies are going to win,

you have to know that........................

I LOVE YOU THIS DAY!!

MARY LOU RICHMOND VA

IPF - 02

>

>

> Ok, and Pink and any others. Time for a test. Why is today a

very

> special day?

>