RemedySpot.com

Re: sensory

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi!

Some $1 tree stores sell children's gloves and some of them have the lightweight

white gloves (in the manicure section) like women wear overnight with creams.

Also the following might work or be good sources:

abcdistributing = Has 8 pr of mix 'n match gripper gloves for $6.95-cute

patterns and designs on them

http://www.abcdistributing.com/

just type " gripper gloves " in the search box - the boys gloves are sports themed

Wal mart sells the following on their web site -

gold's gym weight lifting gloves that have the velcro bands to tighten around

the wrist. They run about $9 and come in size small.

They also (sometimes have on their web site) Gold's Gym Wrist Wrap Glove with

the long velcro straps

the Typhoon Motorcycle Glove - straps on wrist cuff they are about $13

Wells Lamont - MechPro Work Gloves - about $10 velcro strap on wrist cuff.

An alternative might be to get the following:

you could get 2 of the futuro sport adjustable wrist supports from Walgreen's

web site - $14 for 2 (on the web site)

Regards,

Glenda

>

> Hello everyone! Does anyone know where I could find mittens or something for

the hands to prevent clapping. Of course I need mittens that my son cant take

off.

> His stimming is so bad that it interferes with everything. I put a sock on his

left hand a taped it ( I know it sounds aweful) but I wanted to see. To my

surprise, the clapping stopped, hes quieter and he is biting the sock instead of

his shirts. I am trying to figure out why this has changed his behavior. He has

been trying to take it off but cant. I dont want him in public with a sock on

his hand so I am looking for something else. Has anyone had this experience? I

need some guidance. We will also be starting ABA soon. Thanks everyone.

>

Guest guest

Its a tough one, my daughter does hand starring, I wanted to put something on her hands. I was told best thing to do is give a sensory hand toy or distractions, to change behavior.Sent from my Samsung Epicâ„¢ 4G yesenia alfonso wrote:

Hello everyone! Does anyone know where I could find mittens or something for the hands to prevent clapping. Of course I need mittens that my son cant take off.

His stimming is so bad that it interferes with everything. I put a sock on his left hand a taped it ( I know it sounds aweful) but I wanted to see. To my surprise, the clapping stopped, hes quieter and he is biting the sock instead of his shirts. I am trying to figure out why this has changed his behavior. He has been trying to take it off but cant. I dont want him in public with a sock on his hand so I am looking for something else. Has anyone had this experience? I need some guidance. We will also be starting ABA soon. Thanks everyone.

Guest guest

Its a tough one, my daughter does hand starring, I wanted to put something on her hands. I was told best thing to do is give a sensory hand toy or distractions, to change behavior.Sent from my Samsung Epicâ„¢ 4G yesenia alfonso wrote:

Hello everyone! Does anyone know where I could find mittens or something for the hands to prevent clapping. Of course I need mittens that my son cant take off.

His stimming is so bad that it interferes with everything. I put a sock on his left hand a taped it ( I know it sounds aweful) but I wanted to see. To my surprise, the clapping stopped, hes quieter and he is biting the sock instead of his shirts. I am trying to figure out why this has changed his behavior. He has been trying to take it off but cant. I dont want him in public with a sock on his hand so I am looking for something else. Has anyone had this experience? I need some guidance. We will also be starting ABA soon. Thanks everyone.

Guest guest

I would guess that the reason the sock work is due to "behavioral/sensory extinction" a strategy that changes the sensory input a child receives from the stim in order to change it. By putting the sock on his hand he couldn't receive the sensory input that he enjoyed from the stim, so he did it less.

I have been successful using that strategy using light weights on the wrist, also... all you need to do is alter the sensory feedback.

In addition I like to provide, through exercise, input into the hands to decrease the need to stim in the future. Exercises might be weight bearing on the hands with feet up on a chair or peanut ball while playing a game....pushing flat hands into something like therapy putty... or any form of deep sensory input into the palms of the hand.

Your topic caught my interest...I hope I am not of topic, as I haven't been following the full discussion.

Carolyn Murray-Slutsky,MS OTR, C/NDTRehabilitation for Children4041 North 41 StreetHollywood, FL 33021www.STARServices.TVAuthor of "Is it Sensory or is it Behavior?""Exploring the Spectrum of Autism and PDD- Intervention Strategies""Developing Visual-Motor Integration"Sleep'n Sync Products

Hello everyone! Does anyone know where I could find mittens or something for the hands to prevent clapping. Of course I need mittens that my son cant take off. His stimming is so bad that it interferes with everything. I put a sock on his left hand a taped it ( I know it sounds aweful) but I wanted to see. To my surprise, the clapping stopped, hes quieter and he is biting the sock instead of his shirts. I am trying to figure out why this has changed his behavior. He has been trying to take it off but cant. I dont want him in public with a sock on his hand so I am looking for something else. Has anyone had this experience? I need some guidance. We will also be starting ABA soon. Thanks everyone.

Guest guest

I would guess that the reason the sock work is due to "behavioral/sensory extinction" a strategy that changes the sensory input a child receives from the stim in order to change it. By putting the sock on his hand he couldn't receive the sensory input that he enjoyed from the stim, so he did it less.

I have been successful using that strategy using light weights on the wrist, also... all you need to do is alter the sensory feedback.

In addition I like to provide, through exercise, input into the hands to decrease the need to stim in the future. Exercises might be weight bearing on the hands with feet up on a chair or peanut ball while playing a game....pushing flat hands into something like therapy putty... or any form of deep sensory input into the palms of the hand.

Your topic caught my interest...I hope I am not of topic, as I haven't been following the full discussion.

Carolyn Murray-Slutsky,MS OTR, C/NDTRehabilitation for Children4041 North 41 StreetHollywood, FL 33021www.STARServices.TVAuthor of "Is it Sensory or is it Behavior?""Exploring the Spectrum of Autism and PDD- Intervention Strategies""Developing Visual-Motor Integration"Sleep'n Sync Products

Hello everyone! Does anyone know where I could find mittens or something for the hands to prevent clapping. Of course I need mittens that my son cant take off. His stimming is so bad that it interferes with everything. I put a sock on his left hand a taped it ( I know it sounds aweful) but I wanted to see. To my surprise, the clapping stopped, hes quieter and he is biting the sock instead of his shirts. I am trying to figure out why this has changed his behavior. He has been trying to take it off but cant. I dont want him in public with a sock on his hand so I am looking for something else. Has anyone had this experience? I need some guidance. We will also be starting ABA soon. Thanks everyone.

Guest guest

Guest guest

Does your son receive Occupational Therapy? To: sList Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:24 PM Subject: Re: sensory

Carolyn Murray-Slutsky,MS OTR, C/NDTRehabilitation for Children4041 North 41 StreetHollywood, FL 33021http://www.starservices.tv/Author of "Is it Sensory or is it Behavior?""Exploring the Spectrum of Autism and PDD- Intervention Strategies""Developing Visual-Motor Integration"Sleep'n Sync Products

• 4 weeks later...

Yesenia,

I don't know of a hand cream that is edible. This will sound odd, and I hope I

don't offend anyone, there is a product called Doc edible body butter

and other edible body butters available (some on Amazon) It is something that is

sometimes given as a gift at bridal showers and bachelor parties. I don't know

that anyone has ever used it for other purposes. Would buying the aloe juice

that Publix sell in the produce department and putting it on your son's hands

work? People buy it to drink for health reasons.

Glenda

>

> Hello everyone, I have a silly question. Can someone recommend edible hand

cream? We are trying to put cream on s hands so the clapping could be

decreased but I dont want him to eat cream that isnt edible. Thanks.

>

> Yesenia

>