Skin irritation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Everyone-

Just wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas on how to deal with red

irritated skin under the helmet. My son Lincoln is 7 months and we just

got his Starband about a week ago. Since then I've had to take him back

for adjustments because of marks from the helmet. I've been putting

Aquaphor on the spots and they do go away, but it takes about 2 days.

The red fades but then his skin gets really flaky. Is this something

that he'll just have to get used to?

Help!

Thank you!

HI - we had the same problems with Damian's helmet and had to go back several times for adjustments. He actually develope a bone spur from it and had to keep it off for several days. Any thing that is pink that does not fade in 20 min is a problem and would require another adjustment. Pink is ok and our orthotist said that the skin does have to adjust but you don't want redness that can turn into sores. Uhm you can also try a talc powder lightly dusted on the parts of the head that the helmet chafes against. That might help but I would definately go back for another adjustment. I guess it can take a few weeks tor work out the kinks, GOOD LUCK! mom of Damian 6 months, Somerville, makristinitatani <kakemimclean@...> wrote: Hi Everyone-Just wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas on how to deal with red irritated skin under the helmet. My son Lincoln is 7 months and we just got his Starband about a week ago. Since then I've had to take him back for adjustments because of marks from the helmet. I've been putting Aquaphor on the spots and they do go away, but it takes about 2 days. The red fades but then his skin gets really flaky. Is this something that he'll just have to get used to? Help!Thank you!

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Hi -

Thank you! Its very reassuring that we're not the only ones going thru all this! I was getting worried about constantly taking him back for adjustments and the setbacks. I'd like to have Lincoln done with the band before summer. He's a very hot little guy and I'd hate to have him wear the band during the summer months.

I'll definately try the baby powder.

Thank you!

On Jan 3, 2008 10:07 AM, -Marie DiFonzo Kelley <sscutch@...> wrote:

HI - we had the same problems with Damian's helmet and had to go back several times for adjustments. He actually develope a bone spur from it and had to keep it off for several days. Any thing that is pink that does not fade in 20 min is a problem and would require another adjustment. Pink is ok and our orthotist said that the skin does have to adjust but you don't want redness that can turn into sores. Uhm you can also try a talc powder lightly dusted on the parts of the head that the helmet chafes against. That might help but I would definately go back for another adjustment. I guess it can take a few weeks tor work out the kinks,

GOOD LUCK! mom of Damian 6 months, Somerville, ma kristinitatani <kakemimclean@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone-Just wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas on how to deal with red irritated skin under the helmet. My son Lincoln is 7 months and we just got his Starband about a week ago. Since then I've had to take him back for adjustments because of marks from the helmet. I've been putting Aquaphor on the spots and they do go away, but it takes about 2 days. The red fades but then his skin gets really flaky. Is this something that he'll just have to get used to? Help!Thank you!

You are welcome -- yeah we want Damian out of it by summer too, so we really stick the 22-23 hours a day as much as I hate him in it. I just want to see his little head- but it will all be worth it. They told us about 4-5 months after they had originally said 3 months- so we don't like the set backs either. Good luck ! McLean <kakemimclean@...> wrote: Hi - Thank you! Its very reassuring that we're not the only ones going thru all this! I was getting worried about constantly taking him back for

adjustments and the setbacks. I'd like to have Lincoln done with the band before summer. He's a very hot little guy and I'd hate to have him wear the band during the summer months. I'll definately try the baby powder. Thank you! On Jan 3, 2008 10:07 AM, -Marie DiFonzo Kelley <sscutch > wrote: HI - we had the same problems with Damian's helmet and had to go back several times for adjustments. He actually develope a bone spur from it and had to keep it off for several days. Any thing that is pink that does not fade in 20 min is a problem and would require another adjustment. Pink is ok and our orthotist said that the skin does have to adjust but you don't want redness that

can turn into sores. Uhm you can also try a talc powder lightly dusted on the parts of the head that the helmet chafes against. That might help but I would definately go back for another adjustment. I guess it can take a few weeks tor work out the kinks, GOOD LUCK! mom of Damian 6 months, Somerville, ma kristinitatani <kakemimcleangmail> wrote: Hi Everyone-Just wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas on how to deal with red irritated skin under the helmet. My son Lincoln is 7 months and we just got his Starband about a week ago. Since then I've had to take him back for adjustments because of marks from the helmet. I've been putting Aquaphor on the spots and they do go away, but it takes about 2 days. The red fades

but then his skin gets really flaky. Is this something that he'll just have to get used to? Help!Thank you! Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Did the ortho say anything about hydrocortizone cream? That is what our ortho said to use but I never had to. I'm not familiar with Aquaphor and if it is the same as hydrocort.

Jen and Luli - 24 months

Left tort - Right Plagio - Hanger Band Grad - CA

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jens5th/

Skin irritation

Hi Everyone-

Just wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas on how to deal with red

irritated skin under the helmet. My son Lincoln is 7 months and we just

got his Starband about a week ago. Since then I've had to take him back

for adjustments because of marks from the helmet. I've been putting

Aquaphor on the spots and they do go away, but it takes about 2 days.

The red fades but then his skin gets really flaky. Is this something

that he'll just have to get used to?

Help!

Thank you!

More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail!

No, we just went back for the adjustment yesterday and he suggested we put on some A & D ointment before putting the band back on. If it gets too bad I will try the hydrocortizone cream. Our pediatrician suggested we use that for some dry spots on his arms.

On Jan 3, 2008 4:03 PM, <JenandLuli@...> wrote:

Did the ortho say anything about hydrocortizone cream? That is what our ortho said to use but I never had to. I'm not familiar with Aquaphor and if it is the same as hydrocort.

Jen and Luli - 24 monthsLeft tort - Right Plagio - Hanger Band Grad - CAhttp://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jens5th/

Skin irritation

Hi Everyone-Just wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas on how to deal with red irritated skin under the helmet. My son Lincoln is 7 months and we just got his Starband about a week ago. Since then I've had to take him back for adjustments because of marks from the helmet. I've been putting Aquaphor on the spots and they do go away, but it takes about 2 days. The red fades but then his skin gets really flaky. Is this something that he'll just have to get used to? Help!Thank you!

More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail!

Hi ! I was just logging on to ask the same question. Ha! My daughter, Gracie, is seven months old and has been in a Hanger band for two months. The first month went fine, but she has had irritations for the last month. I took her to the pediatrician yesterday. Gracie has very sensitive skin, and the dr. says she is developing heat rash. It turns red and bubbles in the beginning, and, after a couple of days, it flakes, as well. She suggested (and it seems to be working) Aveeno baths two to three times a day (to dry out the areas) and a zinc powder called "Caldesene" two to three times a day (to keep the area dry, to heal it, and to keep it from becoming further irritated). Gracie scratches the areas, so I may try a little Benadryl as a last resort. The pediatrician also said to leave the helmet off for four to five days (until areas are completely healed). The Caldesene can be used each evening

(after baths) once the helmet goes back on because it is slick. We are giving it a try! I want the helmet back on because we aren't making any progress this way! I have used creams on Gracie's scalp under the helmet, but I think I may have caused even more of a problem. I am no longer going to use any lotions, either. It seems that I am trapping the heat. One other thought, I use baby soap to clean the helmet. I think I may be causing problems by leaving a soapy residue. Whew! Too much information? Ha! kristinitatani <kakemimclean@...> wrote: Hi Everyone-Just wondering if anyone had any tips or ideas on how to deal with red irritated skin under the helmet. My son Lincoln is 7 months and we just got his Starband about a week ago. Since then I've had to take him back for adjustments because of marks from the helmet. I've been putting Aquaphor on the spots and they do go away, but it takes about 2 days. The red fades but then his skin gets really flaky. Is this something that he'll just have to get used to? Help!Thank you!

Hi !

Thanks for all the great information! I will definately keep the Caldesene in mind. I've never heard of that one before but powder makes more sense to me. I was told by our Ortho guy to put A and D ointment on to help prevent the rubbing, chaffin and heat rash. I will try that but if not I'm going to call the pediatrician to

ask about the powder. I'm off to give my little one a bath I've got some Aveeno at home so we'll try that tonight.

And yes! I want to hurry up with this process too. I don't want to have to keep taking the helmet off either!

:) Thank you again!!!

On Jan 4, 2008 2:39 PM, Pezzola <epez75@...> wrote:

Hi ! I was just logging on to ask the same question. Ha! My daughter, Gracie, is seven months old and has been in a Hanger band for two months. The first month went fine, but she has had irritations for the last month. I took her to the pediatrician yesterday. Gracie has very sensitive skin, and the dr. says she is developing heat rash. It turns red and bubbles in the beginning, and, after a couple of days, it flakes, as well. She suggested (and it seems to be working) Aveeno baths two to three times a day (to dry out the areas) and a zinc powder called " Caldesene " two to three times a day (to keep the area dry, to heal it, and to keep it from becoming further irritated). Gracie scratches the areas, so I may try a little Benadryl as a last resort. The pediatrician also said to leave the helmet off for four to five days (until areas are completely healed). The Caldesene can be used each evening (after baths) once the helmet goes back on because it is slick.

We are giving it a try! I want the helmet back on because we aren't making any progress this way! I have used creams on Gracie's scalp under the helmet, but I think I may have caused even more of a problem. I am no longer going to use any lotions, either. It seems that I am trapping the heat. One other thought, I use baby soap to clean the helmet. I think I may be causing problems by leaving a soapy residue.

Whew! Too much information? Ha!

kristinitatani <kakemimclean@...> wrote:

• 1 year later...

Our instructions were to call if the red spots didn't go away in an hour (we had a STARband too) so definately call. If they didn't go away after most of the morning, I would leave it off until you talk to the ortho on Monday. You don't want to risk any sores and longer period of time without it.

skin irritation

Hello, my DD has a STARband and she recently must have undergone a growth spurt because the helmet is causing her eyes to be squinty and there is some skin irritation on her cheeks. She spent most of the morning without the helmet to see if the red marks would subside but they didn't. Should I call our orthotist? Is there anything I can do until Monday?