RemedySpot.com

State of Florida Fires Back at Feds - What a Surprise (Not)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello All,Please see link below to the Miami Herald article. I would ask the question " Are these agency leaders high? Maybe they have gotten into the stash of Oxycontin that the DEA seized from CVS Pharmacies? If they truly believe that there isn't a problem, they must be. They conducted interviews of families to make them aware of the services provided in the community? What services are they speaking of? Based on my experience, AHCA has consistently denied services to families of children with autism, because the child lives in the family home. Not only that, I doubt that families would be forthcoming in fear of retaliation. I assure you that the families are intimidated by the situation and are in fear of losing the nursing home care they currently have, if they make waves. The fears may be unfounded, but perception can be reality.  

The State of Florida would rather litigate than settle. Not until they are sued in court or threatened publicly, do they change their position. When you try to get them to resolve issues their response is " file an appeal " . Furthermore, if it is less expensive to keep a child in the family home (with supports) then why is a nursing home even an option? The State continues to say they must cut services due to funding shortfalls, however, the cost of a nursing home in these situations is far greater than allowing the child to be in the family home with proper supports. 

The State wouldn't ask for help, because that would be admitting they actually have a problem. The State is more concerned about it's political appearance than the rights of individuals with disabilities. It is really sad that they cannot just admit the wrongdoing and get it corrected. They would rather go to court and fight. If Florida spent half as much money on trying to correct the problems with their approach to people with disabilities and serving them appropriately, as they do challenging families in hearings and now the Federal Government, they would not have most of the problems they have. 

In closing, the agency heads mentioned in this article and the Governor should be ashamed of themselves and stop the continual undoing of the services vital to individuals with disabilities in this State. This email may not be politically correct and I will probably get a lot of heat for it, but I am fed up with the rhetoric and the constant misinformation that is provided by the State of Florida to families. 

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/28/3025174/florida-fires-back-at-feds-over.html

Regards,Ven Sequenzia, Jr. 

PresidentAutism Society of AmericaState of Florida Chapter

SO sad and frustrating to read this articles. I know many parents and grandparents who have tried to get their "kids" out - only to be treated with disdain and subtle threats. I know a teacher who tried to help an 80 year old grandmother (guardian) get her grandson out of a nursing home and into a group home...He really want OUT! The nursing home pretty much banned this teacher from coming in the building and said they would charge her with trespassing because they did not have a signed consent from the grandmother for the teacher to visit the grandson. The grandmother was scared and retreated. Please take a few minutes to comment on this article and speak the REAL truth about the REAL choices individuals and families do NOT have.http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/28/3025174/florida-fires-back-at-feds-over.htmlTo: From: vsequenzia@...Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 10:15:01 -0400Subject: State of Florida Fires Back at Feds - What a Surprise (Not)

Hello All,Please see link below to the Miami Herald article. I would ask the question "Are these agency leaders high? Maybe they have gotten into the stash of Oxycontin that the DEA seized from CVS Pharmacies? If they truly believe that there isn't a problem, they must be. They conducted interviews of families to make them aware of the services provided in the community? What services are they speaking of? Based on my experience, AHCA has consistently denied services to families of children with autism, because the child lives in the family home. Not only that, I doubt that families would be forthcoming in fear of retaliation. I assure you that the families are intimidated by the situation and are in fear of losing the nursing home care they currently have, if they make waves. The fears may be unfounded, but perception can be reality.

The State of Florida would rather litigate than settle. Not until they are sued in court or threatened publicly, do they change their position. When you try to get them to resolve issues their response is "file an appeal". Furthermore, if it is less expensive to keep a child in the family home (with supports) then why is a nursing home even an option? The State continues to say they must cut services due to funding shortfalls, however, the cost of a nursing home in these situations is far greater than allowing the child to be in the family home with proper supports.

The State wouldn't ask for help, because that would be admitting they actually have a problem. The State is more concerned about it's political appearance than the rights of individuals with disabilities. It is really sad that they cannot just admit the wrongdoing and get it corrected. They would rather go to court and fight. If Florida spent half as much money on trying to correct the problems with their approach to people with disabilities and serving them appropriately, as they do challenging families in hearings and now the Federal Government, they would not have most of the problems they have.

In closing, the agency heads mentioned in this article and the Governor should be ashamed of themselves and stop the continual undoing of the services vital to individuals with disabilities in this State. This email may not be politically correct and I will probably get a lot of heat for it, but I am fed up with the rhetoric and the constant misinformation that is provided by the State of Florida to families.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/28/3025174/florida-fires-back-at-feds-over.html

Regards,Ven Sequenzia, Jr.

PresidentAutism Society of AmericaState of Florida Chapter