RemedySpot.com

re:ADD and medication issue

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I wanted to reiterate that using medication was done after other

interventions. My husband and I felt our daughter was suffering by being unable

to give attention to anything- she wandered and became increasingly upset,

unable to do things she used to enjoy. The decision to try medication was a

difficult one (and I support parents who choose to use medication or not).

Our daughter, after the first dose, smiled, seemed more interactive, was

able to do things she had never done before (read a whole book! have a

conversation! sit and think then tell me what she was thinking about! planning

an activity!) I think medication gave her a bridge to develop skills that she

hadn't through supplements, therapies, and dietary restrictions. She has kept

these skills now that she off the medication. Her interactions with other

children are more typical than a year ago- whether this is from maturity or

other factors, I don't know. But I am glad we tried medication when we did. Her

fogginess and distraction disappeared and she was happier.

I had posted because the problems started to mount a few months after

medication and I wondered if others thought, or had the experience, of their

psychiatrist giving a child a medication vacation to see how the child was. I

wish we had done it sooner. My daughter only ever received 25% of the

recommended daily dose because she was functioning so much better.

We also used medication only after we thought we had done all we could afford to do at the time. I wish our experience had been as good as yours. My Aunt was a teacher and she saw amazing differences after some of her students went on medication. I'm so happy your daughter retained the educational benefit.

I wanted to reiterate that using medication was done after other interventions. My husband and I felt our daughter was suffering by being unable to give attention to anything- she wandered and became increasingly upset, unable to do things she used to enjoy. The decision to try medication was a difficult one (and I support parents who choose to use medication or not).

Our daughter, after the first dose, smiled, seemed more interactive, was able to do things she had never done before (read a whole book! have a conversation! sit and think then tell me what she was thinking about! planning an activity!) I think medication gave her a bridge to develop skills that she hadn't through supplements, therapies, and dietary restrictions. She has kept these skills now that she off the medication. Her interactions with other children are more typical than a year ago- whether this is from maturity or other factors, I don't know. But I am glad we tried medication when we did. Her fogginess and distraction disappeared and she was happier.

I had posted because the problems started to mount a few months after medication and I wondered if others thought, or had the experience, of their psychiatrist giving a child a medication vacation to see how the child was. I wish we had done it sooner. My daughter only ever received 25% of the recommended daily dose because she was functioning so much better.

I wish I could try medication free trial but my daughter perseverates everyday over her medicine! We also tried natural vitamins first from Great plains labatory but it didn't last. When she started her focalin it was like night and day! Now, its been years with increases and not sure if its working. wadlerx4@...Sent from my Samsung Epicâ„¢ 4G Sandy wrote:

We also used medication only after we thought we had done all we could afford to do at the time. I wish our experience had been as good as yours. My Aunt was a teacher and she saw amazing differences after some of her students went on medication. I'm so happy your daughter retained the educational benefit.

I wanted to reiterate that using medication was done after other interventions. My husband and I felt our daughter was suffering by being unable to give attention to anything- she wandered and became increasingly upset, unable to do things she used to enjoy. The decision to try medication was a difficult one (and I support parents who choose to use medication or not).

Our daughter, after the first dose, smiled, seemed more interactive, was able to do things she had never done before (read a whole book! have a conversation! sit and think then tell me what she was thinking about! planning an activity!) I think medication gave her a bridge to develop skills that she hadn't through supplements, therapies, and dietary restrictions. She has kept these skills now that she off the medication. Her interactions with other children are more typical than a year ago- whether this is from maturity or other factors, I don't know. But I am glad we tried medication when we did. Her fogginess and distraction disappeared and she was happier.

I had posted because the problems started to mount a few months after medication and I wondered if others thought, or had the experience, of their psychiatrist giving a child a medication vacation to see how the child was. I wish we had done it sooner. My daughter only ever received 25% of the recommended daily dose because she was functioning so much better.

Moms know their children and want the best for them and their happiness. It's great that you found what works. It is never an easy decision. You love your child and that's what matters.Sent from my iPad