RemedySpot.com

Was: Filing annual report to court Now: Guardianship

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Still trying to decide on plenary vs guardian advocate. I thought I had decided on plenary, but now I'm reconsidering. Does anyone have any compelling reasons for one over the other? From: cheryl To: "sList " Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:35 AM Subject: Re: Filing annual report to court

I filed mine right through the court.  I had called and they gave me all the information I would need to bring and where to go, very nice and helpful for a change. From:

"kermit64@..." To: deniseslist Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:55 PM Subject: Filing annual report to court

--- Re: Filing annual report to court From: deniseincoralsprings@... To: kermit64@... CC: Hi all, We obtained plenary guardianship of our son on January 4, 2012. Our son is now 20. We need to file Annual Report to the court by April 30th. Do I need an attorney to file this report or is it something I can do on my own, by filling out the necessary papers and dropping them off at the court house? ( We only have to file the  annual report; annual accounting is waived) Seeking advise from those who have gone thru this process.... Thank you in advance for all your help, Veliyathil

, please explain the difference to me. Thanks.

Robin

Still trying to decide on plenary vs guardian advocate. I thought I had decided on plenary, but now I'm reconsidering. Does anyone have any compelling reasons for one over the other?

From: cheryl To: "sList " Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:35 AMSubject: Re: Filing annual report to court

I filed mine right through the court. I had called and they gave me all the information I would need to bring and where to go, very nice and helpful for a change.

From: "kermit64@..." To: deniseslist Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:55 PMSubject: Filing annual report to court

--- Re: Filing annual report to court From: deniseincoralsprings@... To: kermit64@... CC:

Hi all, We obtained plenary guardianship of our son on January 4, 2012. Our son is now 20. We need to file Annual Report to the court by April 30th. Do I need an attorney to file this report or is it something I can do on my own, by filling out the necessary papers and dropping them off at the court house? ( We only have to file the annual report; annual accounting is waived) Seeking advise from those who have gone thru this process.... Thank you in advance for all your help, Veliyathil

It is very interesting but Florida is one of the few states with Guardian Advocate. It gives parents rights to speak on behalf of your child over the following issues:

right to contract

right to sue or be sued

right to apply for government benefits

right to manage property or make a gift or disposition of property

right to consent to medical treatment

right to determine his or her residence

Voting, marriage and whatever else is still a possibility by the "ward". Plenary guardianship has much more involvement on a yearly basis and it cost much more. Guardian Advocate just requires paperwork every year to be submitted to the judge, no psychiatrist, social worker or medical doctor involvement. It's relatively easy.

Still trying to decide on plenary vs guardian advocate. I thought I had decided on plenary, but now I'm reconsidering. Does anyone have any compelling reasons for one over the other?

From: cheryl To: "sList " Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:35 AMSubject: Re: Filing annual report to court

I filed mine right through the court. I had called and they gave me all the information I would need to bring and where to go, very nice and helpful for a change.

From: "kermit64@..." To: deniseslist Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:55 PMSubject: Filing annual report to court

--- Re: Filing annual report to court From: deniseincoralsprings@... To: kermit64@... CC:

Hi all, We obtained plenary guardianship of our son on January 4, 2012. Our son is now 20. We need to file Annual Report to the court by April 30th. Do I need an attorney to file this report or is it something I can do on my own, by filling out the necessary papers and dropping them off at the court house? ( We only have to file the annual report; annual accounting is waived) Seeking advise from those who have gone thru this process.... Thank you in advance for all your help, Veliyathil

My child is younger and really don't know much about it but someone I used to know told me she was choosing one that would allow her son to have more rights - I think she said "guardian". The example she used was voting. They wanted their son to have the right to vote but they needed to make sure they could help with/control legal and financial decisions. I hope this helps. It was a long time ago and I don't remember the conversations all that clearly. I guess I had better start paying attention to this issue. The years are flying by! Thanks for discussing it.

Still trying to decide on plenary vs guardian advocate. I thought I had decided on plenary, but now I'm reconsidering. Does anyone have any compelling reasons for one over the other? From: cheryl To: "sList " Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:35 AM Subject: Re: Filing annual report to court

I filed mine right through the court. I had called and they gave me all the information I would need to bring and where to go, very nice and helpful for a change. From:

"kermit64@..." To: deniseslist Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:55 PM Subject: Filing annual report to court

--- Re: Filing annual report to court From: deniseincoralsprings@... To: kermit64@... CC: Hi all, We obtained plenary guardianship of our son on January 4, 2012. Our son is now 20. We need to file Annual Report to the court by April 30th. Do I need an attorney to file this report or is it something I can do on my own, by filling out the necessary papers and dropping them off at the court house? ( We only have to file the annual report; annual accounting is waived) Seeking advise from those who have gone thru this process.... Thank you in advance for all your help, Veliyathil

A great resource on Guardianship optionshttp://www.fddc.org/sites/default/files/file/publications/Guardianship%20Family%20Manual.pdfFree Florida Guardian Advocate Traininghttp://mhlp.fmhi.usf.edu/training/tdetail.cfm?id=65To: sList From: RLisme1@...Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 15:32:37 -0500Subject: Re: Was: Filing annual report to court Now: Guardianship

, please explain the difference to me. Thanks.

Robin

You do have a form your doctor must fill out.

Subject: Re: Was: Filing annual report to court Now: GuardianshipTo: sList Date: Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 4:59 PM

It is very interesting but Florida is one of the few states with Guardian Advocate. It gives parents rights to speak on behalf of your child over the following issues:

right to contract

right to sue or be sued

Voting, marriage and whatever else is still a possibility by the "ward". Plenary guardianship has much more involvement on a yearly basis and it cost much more. Guardian Advocate just requires paperwork every year to be submitted to the judge, no psychiatrist, social worker or medical doctor involvement. It's relatively easy.

I'm looking for a lawyer to get the process started, recommended names, please

--Original Message-----

To: sList <sList >

Sent: Thu, Jan 10, 2013 10:57 am

Subject: Re: Was: Filing annual report to court Now: Guardianship

To: sList

Date: Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 4:59 PM

right to contract

right to sue or be sued

To: "sList "

Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:35 AM

Subject: Re: Filing annual report to court

To: deniseslist

Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:55 PM

Subject: Filing annual report to court

Do you have to pick one and file by the time they turn 18 or it can be done at any time?

Robin

My child is younger and really don't know much about it but someone I used to know told me she was choosing one that would allow her son to have more rights - I think she said "guardian". The example she used was voting. They wanted their son to have the right to vote but they needed to make sure they could help with/control legal and financial decisions. I hope this helps. It was a long time ago and I don't remember the conversations all that clearly. I guess I had better start paying attention to this issue. The years are flying by! Thanks for discussing it.

From: cheryl To: "sList " Sen t: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:35 AMSubject: Re: Filing annual report to court

Yes, there are pros and cons to guardian advocate and to plenary guardianship. Its best to review both. As it is-the state will pay for the child's attorney, social worker, doctors etc during the process if you prove financial hardship which is easy because the child doesn't have any money unless there's a trust in the child's name and not in a special needs trust. The bottom line is: do you think your child will ever be able to handle any of their own decisions? And do you have other guardians to assist you in case something happens? etc. To: sList Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:51 AM Subject: Re: Was: Filing annual report to court Now: Guardianship

--Original Message-----

To: sList <sList >

Sent: Thu, Jan 10, 2013 10:57 am

right to contract

right to sue or be sued

It can be done any time after child attains 18 years old. Although there are two choices here in Florida, full (plenary) guardianship and guardian-advocate, most states only offer the full guardianship. However, any guardianship is effective only in the state in which you file. To: sList Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:26 PM Subject: Re: Was: Filing annual report to court Now: Guardianship

Do you have to pick one and file by the time they turn 18 or it can be done at any time?

Robin

From: cheryl To: "sList " Sen t: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:35 AMSubject: Re: Filing annual report to court

I know this is a tough decision. Rainy Day Disability Resources, Inc. is

working to address getting the information about guardianship vs. guardian

advocacy out to the community long before you need to make the decision. As the

instructor of the court required guardianship courses for over a decade now,

I've seen your frustrations with this issue, and am working to make it easier

for families facing the decision in the future. I already have a decision tree

that is helpful to some families, but I'm working on a brochure, possible

webinars, etc. to get the information in your hands. What I could really use

from this group, though, is the best place to get the information out to you -

originally I thought the school system, support groups, etc., but that can

sometimes be difficult if policies and procedures get in the way. I'm willing

to share information with any group/individuals that might listen. Feel free to

contact me with any questions or suggestions for getting the word out.

Kenney, Founder

Rainy Day Disability Resources, Inc.

www.rainydayfl.org

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Still trying to decide on plenary vs guardian advocate. I thought I had

> decided on plenary, but now I'm reconsidering. Does anyone have any

> compelling reasons for one over the other?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ____________________________________

> From: cheryl

> To: " _sList _ (mailto:sList ) "

> Sen t: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:35 AM

> Subject: Re: Filing annual report to court

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I filed mine right through the court. I had called and they gave me all

> the information I would need to bring and where to go, very nice and helpful

> for a change.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> From: " _kermit64@..._ (mailto:kermit64@...) "

> To: _deniseslist _ (mailto:deniseslist )

> Sent: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:55 PM

> Subject: Filing annual report to court

>

>

>

>

>

>

> --- Re: Filing annual report to

> court From: _deniseincoralsprings@..._

> (mailto:deniseincoralsprings@...) To: _kermit64@..._ (mailto:kermit64@...)

CC:

>

>

>

>

> Hi all, We obtained plenary guardianship of our son on January 4, 2012.

> Our son is now 20. We need to file Annual Report to the court by April 30th.

> Do I need an attorney to file this report or is it something I can do on my

> own, by filling out the necessary papers and dropping them off at the

> court house? ( We only have to file the annual report; annual accounting is

> waived) Seeking advise from those who have gone thru this process.... Thank

> you in advance for all your help, Veliyathil

>

Our attorney wants $5000 to file for guardian advocate. Is this typical?To: "sList " <sList >Sent: Thu, January 10, 2013 8:51:33 PMSubject: Re: Was: Filing annual report to court Now: Guardianship

Yes, there are pros and cons to guardian advocate and to plenary guardianship. Its best to review both. As it is-the state will pay for the child's attorney, social worker, doctors etc during the process if you prove financial hardship which is easy because the child doesn't have any money unless there's a trust in the child's name and not in a special needs trust. The bottom line is: do you think your child will ever be able to handle any of their own decisions? And do you have other guardians to assist you in case something happens? etc. To: sList Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:51 AM Subject: Re: Was: Filing annual report to court Now: Guardianship

--Original Message----- To: sList <sList > Sent: Thu, Jan 10, 2013 10:57 am Subject: Re: Was: Filing annual report to court Now: Guardianship

right to contract

right to sue or be sued

Theodore C. Kaufman 954 989 9250 , He is wonderful, very expericened tin this field, very reasonable priced. Should not cost that much at all.

His email address is tckaufman@...

Sandy Teich

Subject: Re: Was: Filing annual report to court Now: GuardianshipTo: sList Date: Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 4:59 PM

right to contract

right to sue or be sued

Not at all. $1500 is the most it should be which includes setiing up a special needs trust.To: sList From: jandswinch@...Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 07:24:52 -0800Subject: Re: Was: Filing annual report to court Now: Guardianship

Our attorney wants $5000 to file for guardian advocate. Is this typical?To: "sList " <sList >Sent: Thu, January 10, 2013 8:51:33 PMSubject: Re: Was: Filing annual report to court Now: Guardianship

--Original Message----- To: sList <sList > Sent: Thu, Jan 10, 2013 10:57 am Subject: Re: Was: Filing annual report to court Now: Guardianship

right to contract

right to sue or be sued

Because attorneys have different billing structures, I always recommend a second

opinion. If you are filing for a guardian advocacy in Broward county, they

allow you to file pro se (without an attorney).

Kenney, Founder

Rainy Day Disability Resources, Inc.

info@...

www.rainydayfl.org

>

>

> From: badillo9@...

> Subject: Re: Was: Filing annual report to court Now:

Guardianship

> To: sList

> Date: Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 4:59 PM

>

>

>

>  

>

>

> ,

> It is very interesting but Florida is one of the few states with Guardian

Advocate. It gives parents rights to speak on behalf of your child over the

following issues:

> right to contract

> right to sue or be sued

> right to apply for government benefits

> right to manage property or make a gift or disposition of property

> right to consent to medical treatment

> right to determine his or her residence

>  

> Voting, marriage and whatever else is still a possibility by the " ward " .

Plenary guardianship has much more involvement on a yearly basis and it cost

much more. Guardian Advocate just requires paperwork every year to be submitted

to the judge, no psychiatrist, social worker or medical doctor involvement. It's

relatively easy.

>  

>

>  

>

> In a message dated 1/9/2013 2:17:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

deniseslist@... writes:

>  

>

>

decided on plenary, but now I'm reconsidering. Does anyone have any compelling

reasons for one over the other?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> To: " sList "

> Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:35 AM

>

>

>

>

>

> I filed mine right through the court. I had called and they gave me all the

information I would need to bring and where to go, very nice and helpful for a

change.

>

>

>

>

>

> From: " kermit64@... "

> To: deniseslist

>

>

>

>

> --- Re: Filing annual report to court

>

>

> Hi all, We obtained plenary guardianship of our son on January 4, 2012. Our

son is now 20. We need to file Annual Report to the court by April 30th. Do I

need an attorney to file this report or is it something I can do on my own, by

filling out the necessary papers and dropping them off at the court house? ( We

only have to file the annual report; annual accounting is waived) Seeking advise

from those who have gone thru this process.... Thank you in advance for all your

help, Veliyathil

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Subject: Re: Was: Filing annual report to court Now:

Guardianship

>

> To: sList

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ,

>

>

> It is very interesting but Florida is one of the few states with Guardian

Advocate. It gives parents rights to speak on behalf of your child over the

following issues:

>

>

> right to contract

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Voting, marriage and whatever else is still a possibility by the " ward " .

Plenary guardianship has much more involvement on a yearly basis and it cost

much more. Guardian Advocate just requires paperwork every year to be submitted

to the judge, no psychiatrist, social worker or medical doctor involvement. It's

relatively easy.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> In a message dated 1/9/2013 2:17:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

deniseslist@... writes:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

decided on plenary, but now I'm reconsidering. Does anyone have any compelling

reasons for one over the other?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> To: " sList "

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I filed mine right through the court. I had called and they gave me all the

information I would need to bring and where to go, very nice and helpful for a

change.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> From: " kermit64@... "

>

> To: deniseslist

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> --- Re: Filing annual report to court

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi all, We obtained plenary guardianship of our son on January 4, 2012. Our

son is now 20. We need to file Annual Report to the court by April 30th. Do I

need an attorney to file this report or is it something I can do on my own, by

filling out the necessary papers and dropping them off at the court house? ( We

only have to file the annual report; annual accounting is waived) Seeking advise

from those who have gone thru this process.... Thank you in advance for all your

help, Veliyathil

>

You're lucky if you get it for 1500.00. I paid more as I had to be the one represented, the state represented my daughter. At least I didn't have to pay court costs on top of it, although now because we have to file annually there is court costs which comes out of the trust or SSDI.Cheryl To: sList Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:28 PM Subject: Re: Was: Filing annual report to court Now: Guardianship

>

>

>

>

>

> Subject: Re: Was: Filing annual report to court Now: Guardianship

>

> To: mailto:sList%40yahoogroups.com

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ,

>

>

> It is very interesting but Florida is one of the few states with Guardian Advocate. It gives parents rights to speak on behalf of your child over the following issues:

>

>

> right to contract

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Voting, marriage and whatever else is still a possibility by the "ward". Plenary guardianship has much more involvement on a yearly basis and it cost much more. Guardian Advocate just requires paperwork every year to be submitted to the judge, no psychiatrist, social worker or medical doctor involvement. It's relatively easy.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Still trying to decide on plenary vs guardian advocate. I thought I had decided on plenary, but now I'm reconsidering. Does anyone have any compelling reasons for one over the other?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> To: "mailto:sList%40yahoogroups.com"

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I filed mine right through the court. I had called and they gave me all the information I would need to bring and where to go, very nice and helpful for a change.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> From: "kermit64@..."

>

> To: mailto:deniseslist%40yahoogroups.com

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> --- Re: Filing annual report to court From: deniseincoralsprings@... To: kermit64@... CC:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hi all, We obtained plenary guardianship of our son on January 4, 2012. Our son is now 20. We need to file Annual Report to the court by April 30th. Do I need an attorney to file this report or is it something I can do on my own, by filling out the necessary papers and dropping them off at the court house? ( We only have to file the annual report; annual accounting is waived) Seeking advise from those who have gone thru this process.... Thank you in advance for all your help, Veliyathil

>