RemedySpot.com

Re: Risperdal alternatives?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Sara, My son takes it too and the weight thing is tough. Some doctors give Abilify instead for that reason but I'm not sure they map exactly.

Risperdal alternatives?

My 10 year old son is taking Risperdal, and has become excessively obese. We keep having to increase the dosage, due to severe aggression. Is there anything else that works for aggression, that doesn't cause weight gain?

You can try GABA and SAMe which both help for anxiety and aggression. GABA can be found in a 500 mg or 750 mg. cap given three times a day as needed. The SAMe is 200 or 400 mg. - once or twice a day. I would also have blood drawn to check your son's lithium level. Low lithium can cause manic and psychotic/aggressive behaviors. If you didn't want the drug there is lithium oratate by Advance Research found on line or at the Vitamin Shoppe.

My 10 year old son is taking Risperdal, and has become excessively obese. We keep having to increase the dosage, due to severe aggression. Is there anything else that works for aggression, that doesn't cause weight gain?

Seroquel is a similar drug - all of these types of drugs can cause weight gain but he may react differently to one of the others. It's worth asking about. Good luck. Sent from my iPhone

Hi,My son was on risperdal and we had the same weight problem,we switched to Abilify and its working wonders,the appetite is still strong,but not as bad as risperdol.Good Luck!Sent via BlackBerry by AT&TSender: sList Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 21:15:08 -0700 (PDT)To: <sList >ReplyTo: sList Subject: Risperdal alternatives?My 10 year old son is taking Risperdal, and has become excessively obese. We keep having to increase the dosage, due to severe aggression. Is there anything else that works for aggression, that doesn't cause weight gain?

Hi,My son was on risperdal and we had the same weight problem,we switched to Abilify and its working wonders,the appetite is still strong,but not as bad as risperdol.Good Luck!Sent via BlackBerry by AT&TSender: sList Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 21:15:08 -0700 (PDT)To: <sList >ReplyTo: sList Subject: Risperdal alternatives?My 10 year old son is taking Risperdal, and has become excessively obese. We keep having to increase the dosage, due to severe aggression. Is there anything else that works for aggression, that doesn't cause weight gain?

My daughter was on Risperdol and she gain so much weight. And yes there are alternatives like Lamictal. Pleasetalk to the psychiatrist and tell him/her what you need for your child. Sandy

My daughter was on Risperdol and she gain so much weight. And yes there are alternatives like Lamictal. Pleasetalk to the psychiatrist and tell him/her what you need for your child. Sandy

Propranolol for anxiety is great. It also helps with social behaviors. It is a beta blocker and has minimal side effects. This is a personal matter but I would not use a seizure med for a child that does not have epilepsy. Good luck.

Always

Ana Brushingham

To: sList Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:45 AMSubject: Re: Risperdal alternatives?

You can try GABA and SAMe which both help for anxiety and aggression. GABA can be found in a 500 mg or 750 mg. cap given three times a day as needed. The SAMe is 200 or 400 mg. - once or twice a day. I would also have blood drawn to check your son's lithium level. Low lithium can cause manic and psychotic/aggressive behaviors. If you didn't want the drug there is lithium oratate by Advance Research found on line or at the Vitamin Shoppe.

Propranolol for anxiety is great. It also helps with social behaviors. It is a beta blocker and has minimal side effects. This is a personal matter but I would not use a seizure med for a child that does not have epilepsy. Good luck.

Always

Ana Brushingham

To: sList Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:45 AMSubject: Re: Risperdal alternatives?

If you want to do a medication I agree propanolol is very good and I would not use a seizure med with a child who does not have seizures.

Always

Ana Brushingham

Medications work differently for every child and generalizations can be

misleading.

My daughter is taking anti seizure medication and has never been better. And

the side effects are minimal, especially compared to the side effects from other

more standard meds she has taken in the past.

Jean Eccleston

Sent from my Samsung Captivate on AT&T

badillo9@... wrote:

>If you want to do a medication I agree propanolol is very good and I would

>not use a seizure med with a child who does not have seizures.

>

>

>In a message dated 10/26/2012 9:37:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

>Brushingham@... writes:

>

>

>

>

>

>Propranolol for anxiety is great. It also helps with social behaviors.

>It is a beta blocker and has minimal side effects. This is a personal matter

>but I would not use a seizure med for a child that does not have epilepsy.

>Good luck.

>

>

>

>Always

>

>

>

>

>Ana Brushingham

>

>

>

>

>

>To: sList

>Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:45 AM

>Subject: Re: Risperdal alternatives?

>

>

>

>

>

>You can try GABA and SAMe which both help for anxiety and aggression. GABA

>can be found in a 500 mg or 750 mg. cap given three times a day as needed.

>The SAMe is 200 or 400 mg. - once or twice a day. I would also have blood

>drawn to check your son's lithium level. Low lithium can cause manic and

>psychotic/aggressive behaviors. If you didn't want the drug there is lithium

>oratate by Advance Research found on line or at the Vitamin Shoppe.

>

>

>

>

>In a message dated 10/25/2012 9:33:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

>autismsara@... writes:

>

>

> My 10 year old son is taking Risperdal, and has become excessively

>obese. We keep having to increase the dosage, due to severe aggression. Is

>there anything else that works for aggression, that doesn't cause weight

>gain?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Well said Jean!!Sent from my iPhonePlease excuse typos

Medications work differently for every child and generalizations can be misleading.

My daughter is taking anti seizure medication and has never been better. And the side effects are minimal, especially compared to the side effects from other more standard meds she has taken in the past.

Jean Eccleston

Sent from my Samsung Captivate on AT & T

badillo9@... wrote:

>If you want to do a medication I agree propanolol is very good and I would

>not use a seizure med with a child who does not have seizures.

>

>

>In a message dated 10/26/2012 9:37:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

>Brushingham@... writes:

>

>

>

>

>

>Propranolol for anxiety is great. It also helps with social behaviors.

>It is a beta blocker and has minimal side effects. This is a personal matter

>but I would not use a seizure med for a child that does not have epilepsy.

>Good luck.

>

>

>

>Always

>

>

>

>

>Ana Brushingham

>

>

>

>

>

>To: sList

>Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:45 AM

>Subject: Re: Risperdal alternatives?

>

><WBR

>

>

>

>

>You can try GABA and SAMe which both help for anxiety and aggression. GABA

>can be found in a 500 mg or 750 mg. cap given three times a day as needed.

>The SAMe is 200 or 400 mg. - once or twice a day. I would also have blood

>drawn to check your son's lithium level. Low lithium can cause manic and

>psychotic/aggressive behaviors. If you didn't want the drug there is lithium

>oratate by Advance Research found on line or at the Vitamin Shoppe.

>

>

>

>

>In a message dated 10/25/2012 9:33:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

>autismsara@... writes:

>

>

> My 10 year old son is taking Risperdal, and has become excessively

>obese. We keep having to increase the dosage, due to severe aggression. Is

>there anything else that works for aggression, that doesn't cause weight

>gain?