> was at the clinic I have gone to for the last 5 years,

> my oxy level was 79,911 was called, in the emergency room

> I stated I did not want Prednisone, a breathing treatment sent home

> with a script for pain killers and bed rest would have done me just

> fine, BUT no they insisted I do a 2 day stay and only until the gave

me

> a script for 20 and 5 mg tabs of prednisone to " wing my body off of

it "

> did i realize they went againest my will.

> I have no insurance I have no monies now I have to deal with the

> side effects of prednisone its not right. Do I have to add this to

> my DNR? Health Directive? how do you make it plain and simple you

> do not want thaT COUrse of treatment? I got great care at Mercy

> Hospital in San Diego, EXCEPT for the administered prednisone.

>

My Pulmologist says to prolong my life I need it on a daily

basis, The side effects of the prednisone for me are

too much, bed rest and a mild pain killer gives me the same

outcome minus the crazy thinking, headaches, and body aches that

the prednisone seems to do to me.

So how can I ensure the medical peeps follow my wishes!

> >

> > Hi its been awhile since Ive posted. F w/PF, hepC, I

> > was at the clinic I have gone to for the last 5 years,

> > my oxy level was 79,911 was called, in the emergency room

> > I stated I did not want Prednisone, a breathing treatment sent

home

> > with a script for pain killers and bed rest would have done me

just

> > fine, BUT no they insisted I do a 2 day stay and only until the

gave

> me

> > a script for 20 and 5 mg tabs of prednisone to " wing my body off

of

> it "

> > did i realize they went againest my will.

> > I have no insurance I have no monies now I have to deal with the

> > side effects of prednisone its not right. Do I have to add this to

> > my DNR? Health Directive? how do you make it plain and simple you

> > do not want thaT COUrse of treatment? I got great care at Mercy

> > Hospital in San Diego, EXCEPT for the administered prednisone.

> >

>

You can prepare a directive to physicians. I don't know your state and

the exact forms. You can also insist on knowing any medication before

it's given to you. Last time I was in ER, the doctor was a bit surprised

by my questions regarding the prescriptions she wrote, but I wanted to

know exactly what they were prescribing and why.

I'm still confused though as it doesn't sound like they did anything

more than a very short prednisone prescription. There are certainly some

things I would want prednisone for. For me there are no absolutes but

its always risk versus reward.

I recall 1969 or so my mother developed severe peritonitis after a

surgery. It took opening her back up to find it. They had to give her

extremely high dosages of cortisone. She had severe hallucinations while

in ICU for days. Now, the hallucinations were side effects of the

cortisone. So would I say the cortisone was wrong? Absolutely not. It

was for saving her life right then, a life in serious peril. So a

horrible drug regimen but appropriate in that time and place.

I don't use prednisone. Don't want to. However, if I have inflammation

that needs it for a short time, I'll do it. If my diagnosis were to

change materially, I'd reconsider.

> > >

> > > Hi its been awhile since Ive posted. F w/PF, hepC, I

> > > was at the clinic I have gone to for the last 5 years,

> > > my oxy level was 79,911 was called, in the emergency room

> > > I stated I did not want Prednisone, a breathing treatment sent

> home

> > > with a script for pain killers and bed rest would have done me

> just

> > > fine, BUT no they insisted I do a 2 day stay and only until the

> gave

> > me

> > > a script for 20 and 5 mg tabs of prednisone to " wing my body off

> of

> > it "

> > > did i realize they went againest my will.

> > > I have no insurance I have no monies now I have to deal with the

> > > side effects of prednisone its not right. Do I have to add this to

> > > my DNR? Health Directive? how do you make it plain and simple you

> > > do not want thaT COUrse of treatment? I got great care at Mercy

> > > Hospital in San Diego, EXCEPT for the administered prednisone.

> > >

> >

>

I'm sorry you've been having such a hard time. It is exhausting and frustrating being sick. The short answer to your question is yes, you can insist that the medical professionals follow your wishes. It is best to follow whatever the rules are in the state you live in by filling out the appropriate documents and keeping them with you at all times. Perhaps a MedicAlert bracelet in the event you cannot speak for yourself. Or consider appointing a Health Care proxy, someone to make decisions for you in the event you cannot.

I'm a little confused by your posts. You say you were in the hospital two days and they gave you Prednisone prescriptions on discharge to "wing your body off". If you were only on it for two days in the hospital there's no need for weaning. Do they want you to stay on it longer? If so you can choose not to take it if that is your decision.

If you are admitted to the hospital, question everything. Ask what's in the iv, what are the medications they are giving you, what medications are in the breathing treatment. Clarify and ask questions until you are sure you understand. You have to make the decisions that you can live with and you have a right to have those decisions respected.

In defense of the medical staff that were attending you, with sats in the 70's I'm certain the situation was viewed as urgent and they did what they felt they had to to keep you alive. I'm not defending them going against your wishes but it's possible your request was not passed along to everyone treating you and someone who did not know made the decision to use prednisone. You can prevent this in the future by having written documents and by telling everyone who approaches you that you have specific requests that you wish to be respected and honored.

Hope that helps.

Beth in North Carolina

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08

"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more."

Dr. Seuss

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:58:10 AMSubject: A Rant on Prednisone

Hi its been awhile since Ive posted. F w/PF, hepC, Iwas at the clinic I have gone to for the last 5 years, my oxy level was 79,911 was called, in the emergency room I stated I did not want Prednisone, a breathing treatment sent home with a script for pain killers and bed rest would have done me justfine, BUT no they insisted I do a 2 day stay and only until the gave me a script for 20 and 5 mg tabs of prednisone to "wing my body off of it"did i realize they went againest my will.I have no insurance I have no monies now I have to deal with the side effects of prednisone its not right. Do I have to add this to my DNR? Health Directive? how do you make it plain and simple youdo not want thaT COUrse of treatment? I got great care at Mercy Hospital in San Diego, EXCEPT for the administered prednisone.

How long were you on it? I guess I'm confused as to how you got it when

you said no? Did they hand the pills to you without telling you what

they were?

> > >> > > Hi its been awhile since

Ive posted. F w/PF, hepC, I> > > was at the clinic I have gone to for

the last 5 years,> > > my oxy level was 79,911 was called, in the

emergency room> > > I stated I did not want Prednisone, a breathing

treatment sent> home> > > with a script for pain killers and bed rest

would have done me> just> > > fine, BUT no they insisted I do a 2 day

stay and only until the> gave> > me> > > a script for 20 and 5 mg tabs

of prednisone to " wing my body off> of> > it " > > > did i realize they

went againest my will.> > > I have no insurance I have no monies now I

have to deal with the> > > side effects of prednisone its not right. Do

I have to add this to> > > my DNR? Health Directive? how do you make it

plain and simple you> > > do not want thaT COUrse of treatment? I got

great care at Mercy> > > Hospital in San Diego, EXCEPT for the

administered prednisone.> > >> >>

>

>

>

>

>

> _________________________________________________________________

> Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills.

>

http://windowslive.com/Explore/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_spe\

ed_122008

>

Yes, they did want me to stay on longer, I will not be refilling that script.

thank you so much for taking the time to answer

"Be who you are, & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, & those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Suess ~

To: Breathe-Support From: mbmurtha@...Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 15:28:42 -0800Subject: Re: A Rant on Prednisone

I'm sorry you've been having such a hard time. It is exhausting and frustrating being sick. The short answer to your question is yes, you can insist that the medical professionals follow your wishes. It is best to follow whatever the rules are in the state you live in by filling out the appropriate documents and keeping them with you at all times. Perhaps a MedicAlert bracelet in the event you cannot speak for yourself. Or consider appointing a Health Care proxy, someone to make decisions for you in the event you cannot.

I'm a little confused by your posts. You say you were in the hospital two days and they gave you Prednisone prescriptions on discharge to "wing your body off". If you were only on it for two days in the hospital there's no need for weaning. Do they want you to stay on it longer? If so you can choose not to take it if that is your decision.

If you are admitted to the hospital, question everything. Ask what's in the iv, what are the medications they are giving you, what medications are in the breathing treatment. Clarify and ask questions until you are sure you understand. You have to make the decisions that you can live with and you have a right to have those decisions respected.

In defense of the medical staff that were attending you, with sats in the 70's I'm certain the situation was viewed as urgent and they did what they felt they had to to keep you alive. I'm not defending them going against your wishes but it's possible your request was not passed along to everyone treating you and someone who did not know made the decision to use prednisone. You can prevent this in the future by having written documents and by telling everyone who approaches you that you have specific requests that you wish to be respected and honored.

Hope that helps.

Beth in North Carolina

"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more."

Dr. Seuss

From: cklisser5995 <cklisser (AT) hotmail (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:58:10 AMSubject: A Rant on Prednisone

Hi its been awhile since Ive posted. F w/PF, hepC, Iwas at the clinic I have gone to for the last 5 years, my oxy level was 79,911 was called, in the emergency room I stated I did not want Prednisone, a breathing treatment sent home with a script for pain killers and bed rest would have done me justfine, BUT no they insisted I do a 2 day stay and only until the gave me a script for 20 and 5 mg tabs of prednisone to "wing my body off of it"did i realize they went againest my will.I have no insurance I have no monies now I have to deal with the side effects of prednisone its not right. Do I have to add this to my DNR? Health Directive? how do you make it plain and simple youdo not want thaT COUrse of treatment? I got great care at Mercy Hospital in San Diego, EXCEPT for the administered prednisone.

Send e-mail anywhere. No map, no compass. Get your HotmailĀ® account now.

"Be who you are, & say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, & those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Suess ~

To: Breathe-Support From: mbmurtha@...Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 15:28:42 -0800Subject: Re: A Rant on Prednisone

Hope that helps.

Beth in North Carolina

Dr. Seuss

From: cklisser5995 <cklisser (AT) hotmail (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support Sent: Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:58:10 AMSubject: A Rant on Prednisone

Send e-mail anywhere. No map, no compass. Get your HotmailĀ® account now.

Hope that helps.

Beth in North Carolina

Dr. Seuss

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your HotmailĀ® account.

Hope that helps.

Beth in North Carolina

Dr. Seuss

Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills. Get your HotmailĀ® account.

in fact they did hand me them w/o stating what they were, I in begining

believed it was for my pain relief( 3 white pills and an orange oblong)

To: Breathe-Support From: brucemoreland@...Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 23:46:04 +0000Subject: Re: A Rant on Prednisone

How long were you on it? I guess I'm confused as to how you got it whenyou said no? Did they hand the pills to you without telling you whatthey were?> > >> > > Hi its been awhile sinceIve posted. F w/PF, hepC, I> > > was at the clinic I have gone to forthe last 5 years,> > > my oxy level was 79,911 was called, in theemergency room> > > I stated I did not want Prednisone, a breathingtreatment sent> home> > > with a script for pain killers and bed restwould have done me> just> > > fine, BUT no they insisted I do a 2 daystay and only until the> gave> > me> > > a script for 20 and 5 mg tabsof prednisone to "wing my body off> of> > it"> > > did i realize theywent againest my will.> > > I have no insurance I have no monies now Ihave to deal with the> > > side effects of prednisone its not right. DoI have to add this to> > > my DNR? Health Directive? how do you make itplain and simple you> > > do not want thaT COUrse of treatment? I gotgreat care at Mercy> > > Hospital in San Diego, EXCEPT for theadministered prednisone.> > >> >>>>>>>> __________________________________________________________> Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills.>http://windowslive.com/Explore/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_spe\ed_122008> Send e-mail anywhere. No map, no compass. Get your HotmailĀ® account now.