RemedySpot.com

Re: Transplant Bruce/ Beth

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Amy.

I am going to Emory in Atlanta and they will do transplants until you are 65 providing overall health is good. I am 60 but not on the transplant list as I am not bad enough yet.

JOE/JOANIE

IPF JANUARY, 2008

-- Transplant Bruce/ Beth

I just received a return call from the pul. the nurse told me I would not be a canidate for a lung transplant. I asked why, was told the cut off point is 60 and could not even be reffered. I asked about the 73 year old man ....no answer did not know. Is this true, is 60 the cut off? Anyone that knows please. Alsp how long does it take for this lassix to work and get this fluid out of my lungs?

Amy

Hi Amy.

I am going to Emory in Atlanta and they will do transplants until you are 65 providing overall health is good. I am 60 but not on the transplant list as I am not bad enough yet.

JOE/JOANIE

IPF JANUARY, 2008

I just received a return call from the pul. the nurse told me I would not be a canidate for a lung transplant. I asked why, was told the cut off point is 60 and could not even be reffered. I asked about the 73 year old man ....no answer did not know. Is this true, is 60 the cut off? Anyone that knows please. Alsp how long does it take for this lassix to work and get this fluid out of my lungs?

Amy

Hi Amy.

JOE/JOANIE

IPF JANUARY, 2008

Amy

Amy,

I'm so sorry you got that news so abruptly. Some bedside manner she has huh? The upper age limit for lung transplant can vary from hospital to hospital. There is no really rigid limit. Although I have read that up to 65 is generally accepted for a single lung transplant.

The thing you will find is that they want transplant candidates to be as healthy as possible (under the circumstances of course) so that they do as well as they possibly can post-op. This is difficult surgery and the recovery can be grueling. If they have doubts about your bodies ability to withstand the surgery and the initial post-operative period they are not going to do it.

I'm not sure where the 73 year old man had the transplant. It would undoubtedly be at a facility that made these decisions on a case by case basis and didn't turn him down automatically because of his age.

As to your other question, you should see a big difference in the amount of fluid you're retaining pretty much immediately when you begin taking Lasix. It's a powerful diuretic and you should feel relief within a couple of days. If you have been taking it more than 4 or 5 days and feel no difference, call your doctor! What the Lasix is doing is increasing the amount of water and salts your kidneys are excreting. You may need a higher dose or you may need some type of cardiac medication to help the process along.

Hope that helps a bit!

Beth in North Carolina

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08

"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more."

Dr. Seuss

To: breathe <Breathe-support >Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:13:59 AMSubject: Transplant Bruce/ Beth

Amy

Amy,

I'm so sorry you got that news so abruptly. Some bedside manner she has huh? The upper age limit for lung transplant can vary from hospital to hospital. There is no really rigid limit. Although I have read that up to 65 is generally accepted for a single lung transplant.

The thing you will find is that they want transplant candidates to be as healthy as possible (under the circumstances of course) so that they do as well as they possibly can post-op. This is difficult surgery and the recovery can be grueling. If they have doubts about your bodies ability to withstand the surgery and the initial post-operative period they are not going to do it.

I'm not sure where the 73 year old man had the transplant. It would undoubtedly be at a facility that made these decisions on a case by case basis and didn't turn him down automatically because of his age.

As to your other question, you should see a big difference in the amount of fluid you're retaining pretty much immediately when you begin taking Lasix. It's a powerful diuretic and you should feel relief within a couple of days. If you have been taking it more than 4 or 5 days and feel no difference, call your doctor! What the Lasix is doing is increasing the amount of water and salts your kidneys are excreting. You may need a higher dose or you may need some type of cardiac medication to help the process along.

Hope that helps a bit!

Beth in North Carolina

"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more."

Dr. Seuss

To: breathe <Breathe-support >Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:13:59 AMSubject: Transplant Bruce/ Beth

Amy

Amy,

Hope that helps a bit!

Beth in North Carolina

Dr. Seuss

Amy

Amy

Do not listen to your pulmonologist office. That information is not

universally true. Talk only to the transplant center. Also, know that

different centers have different limits. But there are many over 60

being transplanted. How old are you?

>

> I just received a return call from the pul. the nurse told me I would

not be a canidate for a lung transplant. I asked why, was told the cut

off point is 60 and could not even be reffered. I asked about the 73

year old man ....no answer did not know. Is this true, is 60 the cut

off? Anyone that knows please. Alsp how long does it take for this

lassix to work and get this fluid out of my lungs?

> Amy

>

Joe

Just a comparison. In 2007, Emory did one lung transplant on a patient

65 or older. Shands, in Florida, did 5 lung transplants on patients 65

or older. I don't have any specific age information, but that does show

the variations by center.

>

> Hi Amy.

> I am going to Emory in Atlanta and they will do transplants until you

> are 65 providing overall health is good. I am 60 but not on the

transplant

> list as I am not bad enough yet.

>

>

> JOE/JOANIE

> IPF JANUARY, 2008

> -- Transplant Bruce/ Beth

>

> I just received a return call from the pul. the nurse told me I would

not

> be a canidate for a lung transplant. I asked why, was told the cut off

> point is 60 and could not even be reffered. I asked about the 73 year

old

> man ....no answer did not know. Is this true, is 60 the cut off?

Anyone

> that knows please. Alsp how long does it take for this lassix to work

and

> get this fluid out of my lungs?

> Amy

>

Here is the link to the oldest lung transplant patient. It looks like he was transplanted at Mayo in Arizona.I remembered reading about him not to long ago. TOM TERRILL'S NEW LUNGS Citrus Heights, CaliforniaLIP-2006NHL-1999SJS-1994Isaiah 7:14 (King Version) Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. Subject: Re: Transplant Bruce/ BethTo: Breathe-Support Date: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 8:38 AM

Amy,

Hope that helps a bit!

Beth in North Carolina

Dr. Seuss

N Citrus Heights, CaliforniaLIP-2006NHL-1999SJS-1994Isaiah 7:14 (King Version) Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. From: Beth <mbmurtha (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re: Transplant Bruce/ BethTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 8:38 AM

Amy,

Hope that helps a bit!

Beth in North Carolina

Dr. Seuss

His actual transplant was at Mayo in Rochester, Minnesota. In 2007, 4 of

the total 14 transplants they performed were to those 65 or older.

Interesting, they performed none to anyone under 35, two to those 35-49,

8 to those 50-64, and 4 to those 65 and older.

So, just shows how different each center is.

> From: Beth mbmurtha@...

> Subject: Re: Transplant Bruce/ Beth

> To: Breathe-Support

> Date: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 8:38 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Amy,

> I'm so sorry you got that news so abruptly. Some bedside manner she

has huh? The upper age limit for lung transplant can vary from hospital

to hospital. There is no really rigid limit. Although I have read that

up to 65 is generally accepted for a single lung transplant.

>

> The thing you will find is that they want transplant candidates to be

as healthy as possible (under the circumstances of course) so that they

do as well as they possibly can post-op. This is difficult surgery and

the recovery can be grueling. If they have doubts about your bodies

ability to withstand the surgery and the initial post-operative period

they are not going to do it.

>

> I'm not sure where the 73 year old man had the transplant. It would

undoubtedly be at a facility that made these decisions on a case by case

basis and didn't turn him down automatically because of his age.

> Hope that helps a bit!

>

> Beth in North Carolina

> Moderator

> Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08

>

> " Maybe Christmas, " he thought, " doesn't come from a store. Maybe

Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more. "

> Dr. Seuss

>

>

>

No read it more carefully and it was at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.I need a nap lol Citrus Heights, CaliforniaLIP-2006NHL-1999SJS-1994Isaiah 7:14 (King Version) Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. From: Beth <mbmurtha (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re: Transplant Bruce/ BethTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 8:38 AM

Amy,

Hope that helps a bit!

Beth in North Carolina

Dr. Seuss

Well, actually he's no longer the oldest. And there may well be older elsewhere.

One local man is 76 years old and is the oldest living lung transplant patient to ever walk out of the Mayo Clinic in ville.

"I asked the doctor 'well, what's the prognosis?' He said, 'well, if you're lucky you have five years.'

Gar Lonberger was 73 when he found out the news he had pulmonary fibrosis, a disease doctors say they do not know the cause and there is no cure.

After Gar couldn't get into any experimental programs, he decided to take another route and apply for a lung transplant, but there was one problem.

"Because of my age, they kept rejecting me for a transplant; 65 is the automatic cut-off age for transplants."

After three years of waiting, Gar says the magic began on October 11, 2007. At the age of 76, Gar went into surgery at the Mayo Clinic in ville. Doctors say he was the oldest patient ever to receive a lung transplant.

"They were leery to do me, but I guess my attitude showed them that I was gonna do it."

Five months later, Gar attends respiratory therapy several times a week to keep his new lung healthy.

"Before it was time to go to the hospital, I was in a wheel chair and I could barely walk 10 feet, and now I can walk a mile and a half almost and it's no problem to walk."

Gar adds his age has not been a barrier at all. In fact, he says he feels better than ever.

"I feel just like a kid, I feel great. This is the best part of my life because I saw what it was like to die and then I found out what it's like to really live."> > From: Beth mbmurtha@> > Subject: Re: Transplant Bruce/ Beth> > To: Breathe-Support > > Date: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 8:38 AM> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > Amy,> > I'm so sorry you got that news so abruptly. Some bedside manner she> has huh? The upper age limit for lung transplant can vary from hospital> to hospital. There is no really rigid limit. Although I have read that> up to 65 is generally accepted for a single lung transplant.> >> > The thing you will find is that they want transplant candidates to be> as healthy as possible (under the circumstances of course) so that they> do as well as they possibly can post-op. This is difficult surgery and> the recovery can be grueling. If they have doubts about your bodies> ability to withstand the surgery and the initial post-operative period> they are not going to do it.> >> > I'm not sure where the 73 year old man had the transplant. It would> undoubtedly be at a facility that made these decisions on a case by case> basis and didn't turn him down automatically because of his age.> > Hope that helps a bit!> >> > Beth in North Carolina> > Moderator> > Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08> >> > "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe> Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more."> > Dr. Seuss> >> >> >>

Hi Bruce: 68 I am so upset why would they tell me that? I think I am going email some of them or contact via phone. I am taking this very bad.

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 12:31:41 PMSubject: Re: Transplant Bruce/ Beth

AmyDo not listen to your pulmonologist office. That information is notuniversally true. Talk only to the transplant center. Also, know thatdifferent centers have different limits. But there are many over 60being transplanted. How old are you?>> I just received a return call from the pul. the nurse told me I wouldnot be a canidate for a lung transplant. I asked why, was told the cutoff point is 60 and could not even be reffered. I asked about the 73year old man ....no answer did not know. Is this true, is 60 the cutoff? Anyone that knows please. Alsp how long does it take for thislassix to work and get this fluid out of my lungs?>

Amy>

: Thank you I think I will email it to the dr.

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:09:20 PMSubject: Re: Transplant Bruce/ Beth

Here is the link to the oldest lung transplant patient. It looks like he was transplanted at Mayo in Arizona.I remembered reading about him not to long ago. TOM TERRILL'S NEW LUNGS

Citrus Heights, CaliforniaLIP-2006NHL-1999SJS-1994

Isaiah 7:14 (King Version)

Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

From: Beth <mbmurtha (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re: Transplant Bruce/ BethTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 8:38 AM

Amy,

I'm not sure where the 73 year old man had the transplant. It would undoubtedly be at a facility that made these decisions on a case by case basis and didn't turn him down automatically because of his age. Hope that helps a bit!

Beth in North Carolina

Dr. Seuss

Beth: Thanks for the info. I have read some of the other posts and I am going to pursue this. I am seeing my primary tomorrow I wil get more info about the edema. The feet have come down a little although still somwhat swollen. Breathing still bad although not wheezing O2 still drops bad I am on canula at 6 to 7 lpm and if I sit up etc need the mask also.

Amy

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:38:15 AMSubject: Re: Transplant Bruce/ Beth

Amy,

Hope that helps a bit!

Beth in North Carolina

Dr. Seuss

From: Amy Dawn <amy7675 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: breathe <Breathe-support@ yahoogroups. com>Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:13:59 AMSubject: Transplant Bruce/ Beth

Amy

Amy

Because they are poorly informed and assume they know what they are

talking about. You have a right to be angry. Now, this doesn't mean

you're a candidate but it doesn't mean you aren't either.....good luck

in finding out.

> >

> > I just received a return call from the pul. the nurse told me I

would

> not be a canidate for a lung transplant. I asked why, was told the cut

> off point is 60 and could not even be reffered. I asked about the 73

> year old man ....no answer did not know. Is this true, is 60 the cut

> off? Anyone that knows please. Alsp how long does it take for this

> lassix to work and get this fluid out of my lungs?

> > Amy

> >

>

Amy

in finding out.

> >

would

> > Amy

> >

>

Amy

in finding out.

> >

would

> > Amy

> >

>

Unfortunately thats part of what this site is about-correcting

misinformation. Often even doctors are dealing with what they heard or

what use to be or what they were told at one time by someone but they

don't remember who. Are younger persons more likely to get transplants

than older? Yes. But its a center by center individual by individual

situation.

Some things we question are just opinions, but obviously in this case we

can site specifics at many centers that contradict his information.

> > >

> > > I just received a return call from the pul. the nurse told me I

> would

> > not be a canidate for a lung transplant. I asked why, was told the

cut

> > off point is 60 and could not even be reffered. I asked about the 73

> > year old man ....no answer did not know. Is this true, is 60 the cut

> > off? Anyone that knows please. Alsp how long does it take for this

> > lassix to work and get this fluid out of my lungs?

> > > Amy

> > >

> >

>

Amy,

I'm glad you're going to talk to your primary about the edema. Bruces advice about getting transplant info only from the transplant center is right on target. They are the experts and have accurate information. Others may give you info that's outdated or obselete. You may or may not be eligible but at least get the answer from the folks in a position to make the decision!

Please let us know how it goes. You are in my prayers.

Beth in North Carolina

Dr. Seuss

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:57:34 PMSubject: Re: Transplant Bruce/ Beth

Beth: Thanks for the info. I have read some of the other posts and I am going to pursue this. I am seeing my primary tomorrow I wil get more info about the edema. The feet have come down a little although still somwhat swollen. Breathing still bad although not wheezing O2 still drops bad I am on canula at 6 to 7 lpm and if I sit up etc need the mask also.

Amy

From: Beth <mbmurtha (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:38:15 AMSubject: Re: Transplant Bruce/ Beth

Amy,

Hope that helps a bit!

Beth in North Carolina

Dr. Seuss

From: Amy Dawn <amy7675 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: breathe <Breathe-support@ yahoogroups. com>Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:13:59 AMSubject: Transplant Bruce/ Beth

Amy

>Hi Amy,

I am being evaluated at Vanderbilt in Nashville. The cut-off age is

over 65, meaning you can still be eligible at age 65! So someone is

certainly not telling you the right information.

Sherry Age 64

NSIP '98

> I just received a return call from the pul.  the nurse told me I

would not be a canidate for a lung transplant.  I asked why, was told

the cut off point is 60 and could not even be reffered.  I asked about

the 73 year old man ....no answer did not know.  Is this true, is 60

the cut off?  Anyone that knows please.  Alsp how long does it take for

this lassix to work and get this fluid out of my lungs?

> Amy

>

>Hi Amy,

Sherry Age 64

NSIP '98

> Amy

>

>Hi Amy,

Sherry Age 64

NSIP '98

> Amy

>

Sherry

FYI, in 2007, 25% of the lung transplants at Vanderbilt were 65 or

older. Now, they only did 8 transplants that year, but still 2 out of 8

were 65 or older. So, clearly they are not restricting based on age.

> >Hi Amy,

>

> I am being evaluated at Vanderbilt in Nashville. The cut-off age is

> over 65, meaning you can still be eligible at age 65! So someone is

> certainly not telling you the right information.

>

> Sherry Age 64

> NSIP '98

>

>

> would not be a canidate for a lung transplant. I asked why, was told

> the cut off point is 60 and could not even be reffered. I asked about

> the 73 year old man ....no answer did not know. Is this true, is 60

> the cut off? Anyone that knows please. Alsp how long does it take

for

> this lassix to work and get this fluid out of my lungs?

> > Amy

> >

>