RemedySpot.com

Re: Why I'm a Scilly Gal

Rate this topic

Guest guest

thanks for the explanation

Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Donate Life

Subject: Why I'm a Scilly GalTo: Breathe-Support Date: Friday, December 12, 2008, 10:20 PM

BWBB asked me to explain to the Newbies why I’m sometimes so SCILLY as in SGIO…..well it’s ANCESTRAL as well as GENETIC.. my father’s direct GIBSON (originally from Scotland) family line circa 1715, hails from the Isles of Scilly, Cornwall, UK . A little known place but VERY special to those IN the know! It boasts a population of around 2000 in its 5 inhabited islands, floating around, 28 miles out in the Atlantic off Lands End. The native born are known as ‘Scillonian’ & the Islands are actually owned by Prince ( his birth right as Heir to the Throne of England). It makes up part of the Duchy of Cornwall. It stands sentinel to the start of the English Channel & was vital in Tudor times with the English Naval Wars with the Spanish.

Scillonians pride themselves on being, well, QUIRKY…. Don’t ever describe them as ‘English’ … Fishermen, Smugglers, Wreck Salvagers, Kelp Burners, Pilots for the English Channel, Mariners, brave Sea Rescuers of many a sinking vessel, small-time flower farmers of old they now ‘do’ Tourism’…..I’m proud to have them as my forebears… but SCILLY we are to a person! It’s in the GENES I do declare…..!

So sometimes I’m being straight & hence GIO & other times I’m letting fly with my natural inclination to be Scilly & hence SGIO!!!!

Hope that explains summat!

Cheers,

in Oz IPF: Fibrotic NSIP/UIP ??Reynauds' May 2007

That's so cool. My wife is bi-racial (3/4 Native American) but can trace her ish backto Clan MacLaine of Lochbouie, to which she holds membership. jon-- Two wrongs don't make a right,but two 's make an airplane.

There are very few Aussies who aren't multi-culturally 'complex'!

I've had a most splendid time discovering all our 'migration to Oz stories' & fitting them into different historical time frames. It's lead me a very merry dance all over the British Isles, Ireland, Belgium, Netherlands, France, Spain & Denmark....

Now I'm supposed to be writing it all up but I haven't touched that stuff all this year!

Too busy being a fitness fanatic!

Cheers,

SGIO

>> That's so cool. My wife is bi-racial (3/4 Native American) but can trace> her ish back> to Clan MacLaine of Lochbouie, to which she holds membership.> > jon> -- > Two wrongs don't make a right,> but two 's make an airplane.>