RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Advair poll

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I was on Advair for over a year. It was prescribed for me by Simonelli at Columbia Pres in NY. It is indeed a med designed specifically for asthma which I do not have. Dr. Simonelli prescribed it for me because in addition to the bronchodilator it also has an inhaled steroid. Inhaling the steroid puts it directly where it can do the most good, in your lungs. Theoretically if you have significant inflammation in your lungs inhaling the steroid can help minimize it without the more severe side effects of the higher doses of oral prednisone. It also can help to control the cough, it did for me.

I finally stopped using it several months ago because I was having trouble with thrush in my mouth but if I started having alot of trouble with the cough again I would not hesitate to ask for another prescription.

Beth in North Carolina

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08

"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more."

Dr. Seuss

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 7:33:14 PMSubject: Re: Advair poll

, Thats what I thought about Advair , that its more for asthmathan PF . I'm supposed to use oxygen at night and on exertion which Ido but I don't have portable oxygen so I just go really slow . As for the weight my pulmodudette is so thin that I'm sure she has noclue about having weight problems.> >> > My doctor prescribed Advair 4-5 months ago and honestly I don't see> > it does anything . After I started using it my prednisone was cut from> > 10mg to 5mg and I had such hard time doing anything that it was raised> > back to 10mg . I still have to go slow when I'm not using oxygen .> > The other poll question " What were you told by your pulmonologists> > to help you live with your disease? " Really not much , it was like> >

figure it out for yourself . I was told to lose weight which I've not> > been able to do . I've always had a hard time losing weight and one of> > Advairs side effects is weight gain as well as prednisones.> > Maybe Advair is helping and I just don't realize it I really don'tknow.> > W. / Silicosis / 4/08 / East Texas> >> > > >------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -> >> >> > No virus found in this incoming message.> > Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com > > Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.10.0/1861 - Release Date:12/22/2008 11:23 AM> >> >>

I was on Advair for over a year. It was prescribed for me by Simonelli at Columbia Pres in NY. It is indeed a med designed specifically for asthma which I do not have. Dr. Simonelli prescribed it for me because in addition to the bronchodilator it also has an inhaled steroid. Inhaling the steroid puts it directly where it can do the most good, in your lungs. Theoretically if you have significant inflammation in your lungs inhaling the steroid can help minimize it without the more severe side effects of the higher doses of oral prednisone. It also can help to control the cough, it did for me.

I finally stopped using it several months ago because I was having trouble with thrush in my mouth but if I started having alot of trouble with the cough again I would not hesitate to ask for another prescription.

Beth in North Carolina

"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more."

Dr. Seuss

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 7:33:14 PMSubject: Re: Advair poll

, Thats what I thought about Advair , that its more for asthmathan PF . I'm supposed to use oxygen at night and on exertion which Ido but I don't have portable oxygen so I just go really slow . As for the weight my pulmodudette is so thin that I'm sure she has noclue about having weight problems.> >> > My doctor prescribed Advair 4-5 months ago and honestly I don't see> > it does anything . After I started using it my prednisone was cut from> > 10mg to 5mg and I had such hard time doing anything that it was raised> > back to 10mg . I still have to go slow when I'm not using oxygen .> > The other poll question " What were you told by your pulmonologists> > to help you live with your disease? " Really not much , it was like> >

figure it out for yourself . I was told to lose weight which I've not> > been able to do . I've always had a hard time losing weight and one of> > Advairs side effects is weight gain as well as prednisones.> > Maybe Advair is helping and I just don't realize it I really don'tknow.> > W. / Silicosis / 4/08 / East Texas> >> > > >------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -> >> >> > No virus found in this incoming message.> > Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com > > Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.10.0/1861 - Release Date:12/22/2008 11:23 AM> >> >>

When I was first diagnosed I was given Advair and prednisone. I had a raging infection in my lungs. The Advairdid give me problems with thrush if I wasn't right at the sink with mouth wash. I didn't stay on it long.  Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."  , Thats what I thought about Advair , that its more for asthmathan PF . I'm supposed to use oxygen at night and on exertion which Ido but I don't have portable oxygen so I just go really slow . As for the weight my pulmodudette is so thin that I'm sure she has noclue about having weight problems.> >> > My doctor prescribed Advair 4-5 months ago and honestly I don't see> > it does anything . After I started using it my prednisone was cut from> > 10mg to 5mg and I had such hard time doing anything that it was raised> > back to 10mg . I still have to go slow when I'm not using oxygen .> > The other poll question " What were you told by your pulmonologists> > to help you live with your disease? " Really not much , it was like> > figure it out for yourself . I was told to lose weight which I've not> > been able to do . I've always had a hard time losing weight and one of> > Advairs side effects is weight gain as well as prednisones.> > Maybe Advair is helping and I just don't realize it I really don'tknow.> > W. / Silicosis / 4/08 / East Texas> >> > > >----------------------------------------------------------> >> >> > No virus found in this incoming message.> > Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com > > Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.10.0/1861 - Release Date:12/22/2008 11:23 AM> >> >>

Beth

interesting about the Advair

I have never been on it--but i like the idea of steroid right in the lungs and using less of it

is there something that can be done to prevent thrush when on Advair

Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Donate Life

Subject: Re: Re: Advair pollTo: Breathe-Support Date: Tuesday, December 23, 2008, 7:50 PM

Beth in North Carolina

Dr. Seuss

From: toadwizard <toadwizard (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 7:33:14 PMSubject: Re: Advair poll

, Thats what I thought about Advair , that its more for asthmathan PF . I'm supposed to use oxygen at night and on exertion which Ido but I don't have portable oxygen so I just go really slow . As for the weight my pulmodudette is so thin that I'm sure she has noclue about having weight problems.> >> > My doctor prescribed Advair 4-5 months ago and honestly I don't see> > it does anything . After I started using it my prednisone was cut from> > 10mg to 5mg and I had such hard time doing anything that it was raised> > back to 10mg . I still have to go slow when I'm not using oxygen .> > The other poll question " What were you told by your pulmonologists> > to help you live with your disease? " Really not much , it was like> > figure it out for yourself . I was told to

lose weight which I've not> > been able to do . I've always had a hard time losing weight and one of> > Advairs side effects is weight gain as well as prednisones.> > Maybe Advair is helping and I just don't realize it I really don'tknow.> > W. / Silicosis / 4/08 / East Texas> >> > > >------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -> >> >> > No virus found in this incoming message.> > Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com > > Version: 8.0.176 / Virus Database: 270.10.0/1861 - Release Date:12/22/2008 11:23 AM> >> >>

Joyce,

The answer is yes for the most part. As someone else had mentioned here recently scrupulous oral hygene can minimze thrush. That means doing more than just rinsing your mouth after you use it. I used to brush my teeth and use mouthwash after the Advair and just kept my mouth as clean as humanly possible. The other thing to do is eat yogurt with active cultures which helps populate your entire digestive tract, from your mouth down with healthy bacteria. This leaves less room for the yeast (thrush is a yeast infection) to take hold.

Most times thrush is easily treatable with something like Nystatin. I made a decision to stop using the Advair to see how I did without it. I've been doing fine I think but as I said, I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

Beth in North Carolina

Dr. Seuss

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 8:45:19 AMSubject: Re: Re: Advair poll

Beth

interesting about the Advair

I have never been on it--but i like the idea of steroid right in the lungs and using less of it

is there something that can be done to prevent thrush when on Advair

Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Donate Life

From: Beth <mbmurtha (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re: Re: Advair pollTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Tuesday, December 23, 2008, 7:50 PM

Beth in North Carolina

Dr. Seuss

From: toadwizard <toadwizard (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 7:33:14 PMSubject: Re: Advair poll