RemedySpot.com

Has anyone heard of a blood test called Lactate Serum?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi,

Last night, that was one of the tests they ordered. I came home at 8am. Asked what it was for and the reply, was to check if any of my internal organs are failing and if there was any damage to the muscles.

Has anyone ever heard of this blood test? It's scary out of the blue to be told, well we need to check if any of your organs are failing.

IrenePF 03/07 Raynaud's Disease 09/07

Yahoo! Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!

Lactic Acid is elevated in the blood when there is a " disruption " in

the Krebs Cycle which has to do with energy production in glycolosis

or conversion of glucose to energy or when Lactic Acid is produced it

it not broken down appropriately. If enough oxygen in not present in

the cycle lactic acid is produced and can build up in the blood,

called Lactic Acidosis. This can be caused by a number of things

that can occur in various organs of the body. Everything from heavy

exersize, which would then go back to normal when resting to damage

to various organ. A critical organ to the proper metabolism of

lactic acid is the liver. I am curious if the labs showed any liver

damage. For instance, was the ALT(SGPT), AST(SGOT) or LDH elevated.

If those were normal I would wonder why the interest in Lactic Acid?

Unless of course they called the test run Lactic Acid Dehydrogenase

or Lactate Dehydrogenase which is really LDH. By the way, the

collection and storage requirements for testing Lactic acid levels is

critical to a good answer. It is best sampled fasting and from an

artery. The sample needs to immediately be placed on ice and the

plasma quick frozen in dry ice as soon as possible. (no longer that 3

hours) This test is fairly esoteric in nature and not one that is

frequently analyzed in a routine clinical chemistry laboratory.

I am giving this information so you can hopefully obtain the complete

information from your doctor, " why are you running this test and what

do you expect to find " ?

The following information was taken from this web site "

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/lactic-acid

High values

A high lactic acid value indicates lactic acidosis, which can be

caused by:

Severe loss of water from the blood (dehydration).

Blood problems, such as severe anemia or leukemia.

Liver disease or liver damage that prevents the liver from breaking

down lactic acid in the blood.

Conditions such as severe bleeding, shock, severe infection, heart

failure, blockage of blood flow to the intestines, carbon monoxide

poisoning, or pulmonary embolism that prevent adequate oxygen from

reaching the body's cells.

Extremely strenuous exercise or extreme overheating.

Poisoning by alcohol (ethanol), wood alcohol (methanol), or

antifreeze (ethylene glycol).

Some medications, such as isoniazid for tuberculosis or metformin

(Glucophage) for diabetes. Lactic acidosis is a concern for people

who take Glucophage to control their diabetes, especially if they

have poor kidney function.

Tom from PA

>

> Hi,

> Last night, that was one of the tests they ordered. I came home at

8am. Asked what it was for and the reply, was to check if any of my

internal organs are failing and if there was any damage to the

muscles.

> Has anyone ever heard of this blood test? It's scary out of the

blue to be told, well we need to check if any of your organs are

failing.Irene

> PF 03/07 Raynaud's Disease 09/07

>

>

>

>

> Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk

email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in

Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at

http://mail.yahoo.ca

>

thanks Tom,

Last night I developed severe abdominal pain and was seen in ER and they run a few blood tests. I mentionned I had PF and as soon as I mentionned it, dr came back and told the nurse to add one more blood test. I also have anemia and heart murmur.

The only problem I have with my liver is "Fatty Liver", I never mention to drs that I have a fatty liver.

ALT was 19 <31 IU/L

AST was 24 <31 IU/L

ALP was 42 40 -120 IU/L

there's no mentionning of LDH IrenePF 03/07 Raynaud's Disease 09/07

Re: Has anyone heard of a blood test called Lactate Serum?

Lactic Acid is elevated in the blood when there is a "disruption" in the Krebs Cycle which has to do with energy production in glycolosis or conversion of glucose to energy or when Lactic Acid is produced it it not broken down appropriately. If enough oxygen in not present in the cycle lactic acid is produced and can build up in the blood, called Lactic Acidosis. This can be caused by a number of things that can occur in various organs of the body. Everything from heavy exersize, which would then go back to normal when resting to damage to various organ. A critical organ to the proper metabolism of lactic acid is the liver. I am curious if the labs showed any liver damage. For instance, was the ALT(SGPT), AST(SGOT) or LDH elevated. If those were normal I would wonder why the interest in Lactic Acid? Unless of course they called the test run Lactic Acid Dehydrogenase or Lactate Dehydrogenase which is

really LDH. By the way, the collection and storage requirements for testing Lactic acid levels is critical to a good answer. It is best sampled fasting and from an artery. The sample needs to immediately be placed on ice and the plasma quick frozen in dry ice as soon as possible. (no longer that 3 hours) This test is fairly esoteric in nature and not one that is frequently analyzed in a routine clinical chemistry laboratory.I am giving this information so you can hopefully obtain the complete information from your doctor, "why are you running this test and what do you expect to find"?The following information was taken from this web site"http://www.webmd. com/a-to- z-guides/ lactic-acidHigh valuesA high lactic acid value indicates lactic acidosis, which can be caused by:Severe loss of

water from the blood (dehydration) . Blood problems, such as severe anemia or leukemia. Liver disease or liver damage that prevents the liver from breaking down lactic acid in the blood. Conditions such as severe bleeding, shock, severe infection, heart failure, blockage of blood flow to the intestines, carbon monoxide poisoning, or pulmonary embolism that prevent adequate oxygen from reaching the body's cells. Extremely strenuous exercise or extreme overheating. Poisoning by alcohol (ethanol), wood alcohol (methanol), or antifreeze (ethylene glycol). Some medications, such as isoniazid for tuberculosis or metformin (Glucophage) for diabetes. Lactic acidosis is a concern for people who take Glucophage to control their diabetes, especially if they have poor kidney function. Tom from PA>> Hi,> Last night, that was one of the tests they ordered. I came home at 8am. Asked what it was for and the reply, was to check if any of my internal organs are failing and if there was any damage to the muscles. > Has anyone ever heard of this blood test? It's scary out of the blue to be told, well we need to check if any of your organs are failing.Irene> PF 03/07 Raynaud's Disease 09/07> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at http://mail. yahoo.ca>

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!

thanks Tom,

Last night I developed severe abdominal pain and was seen in ER and they run a few blood tests. I mentionned I had PF and as soon as I mentionned it, dr came back and told the nurse to add one more blood test. I also have anemia and heart murmur.

The only problem I have with my liver is "Fatty Liver", I never mention to drs that I have a fatty liver.

ALT was 19 <31 IU/L

AST was 24 <31 IU/L

ALP was 42 40 -120 IU/L

Lactic Acid is elevated in the blood when there is a "disruption" in the Krebs Cycle which has to do with energy production in glycolosis or conversion of glucose to energy or when Lactic Acid is produced it it not broken down appropriately. If enough oxygen in not present in the cycle lactic acid is produced and can build up in the blood, called Lactic Acidosis. This can be caused by a number of things that can occur in various organs of the body. Everything from heavy exersize, which would then go back to normal when resting to damage to various organ. A critical organ to the proper metabolism of lactic acid is the liver. I am curious if the labs showed any liver damage. For instance, was the ALT(SGPT), AST(SGOT) or LDH elevated. If those were normal I would wonder why the interest in Lactic Acid? Unless of course they called the test run Lactic Acid Dehydrogenase or Lactate Dehydrogenase which is

really LDH. By the way, the collection and storage requirements for testing Lactic acid levels is critical to a good answer. It is best sampled fasting and from an artery. The sample needs to immediately be placed on ice and the plasma quick frozen in dry ice as soon as possible. (no longer that 3 hours) This test is fairly esoteric in nature and not one that is frequently analyzed in a routine clinical chemistry laboratory.I am giving this information so you can hopefully obtain the complete information from your doctor, "why are you running this test and what do you expect to find"?The following information was taken from this web site"http://www.webmd. com/a-to- z-guides/ lactic-acidHigh valuesA high lactic acid value indicates lactic acidosis, which can be caused by:Severe loss of

water from the blood (dehydration) . Blood problems, such as severe anemia or leukemia. Liver disease or liver damage that prevents the liver from breaking down lactic acid in the blood. Conditions such as severe bleeding, shock, severe infection, heart failure, blockage of blood flow to the intestines, carbon monoxide poisoning, or pulmonary embolism that prevent adequate oxygen from reaching the body's cells. Extremely strenuous exercise or extreme overheating. Poisoning by alcohol (ethanol), wood alcohol (methanol), or antifreeze (ethylene glycol). Some medications, such as isoniazid for tuberculosis or metformin (Glucophage) for diabetes. Lactic acidosis is a concern for people who take Glucophage to control their diabetes, especially if they have poor kidney function. Tom from PA>> Hi,> Last night, that was one of the tests they ordered. I came home at 8am. Asked what it was for and the reply, was to check if any of my internal organs are failing and if there was any damage to the muscles. > Has anyone ever heard of this blood test? It's scary out of the blue to be told, well we need to check if any of your organs are failing.Irene> PF 03/07 Raynaud's Disease 09/07> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at http://mail. yahoo.ca>

thanks Tom,

ALT was 19 <31 IU/L

AST was 24 <31 IU/L

ALP was 42 40 -120 IU/L

Thanks Irene, Let us know how your are doing. Hope your symptoms

improve.

Tom

>

> thanks Tom,

> Last night I developed severe abdominal pain and was seen in ER and

they run a few blood tests. I mentionned I had PF and as soon as I

mentionned it, dr came back and told the nurse to add one more blood

test. I also have anemia and heart murmur.

> The only problem I have with my liver is " Fatty Liver " , I never

mention to drs that I have a fatty liver.

> ALT was 19  <31 IU/L

> AST was 24  <31 IU/L

> ALP was 42  40 -120 IU/L

> there's no mentionning of LDH

>  Irene

>

>

> ----- Original Message ----

improve.

Tom

>

> thanks Tom,

> ALT was 19  <31 IU/L

> AST was 24  <31 IU/L

>  Irene

>

>

improve.

Tom

>

> thanks Tom,

> ALT was 19  <31 IU/L

> AST was 24  <31 IU/L

>  Irene

>

>

thanks Tom. IrenePF 03/07 Raynaud's Disease 09/07

Thanks Irene, Let us know how your are doing. Hope your symptoms improve.Tom>> thanks Tom,> Last night I developed severe abdominal pain and was seen in ER and they run a few blood tests. I mentionned I had PF and as soon as I mentionned it, dr came back and told the nurse to add one more blood test. I also have anemia and heart murmur.> The only problem I have with my liver is "Fatty Liver", I never mention to drs that I have a fatty liver.> ALT was 19 <31 IU/L> AST was 24 <31 IU/L> ALP was 42 40 -120 IU/L> there's no mentionning of LDH> Irene> PF 03/07 Raynaud's Disease 09/07>

> > ----- Original Message ----

Yahoo! Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!