RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: thrush

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Pink, My Dr. told me to eat two or three yogurts per day while on antibiotics. I love it so it's not a problem.They (antibiotics)  kill a lot of bacteria so yogurt replaces the good. Just be sure it's live culture. It helps when we get thrush, and very soothing. Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." 

Zena,

I could not agree with you more....meticulous oral hygene is the key to keeping the thrush in check when you're on any type of steroid whether oral or inhaled.

When I was on Advair it was a constant battle to keep the thrush at bay...I even ended up once with fungal esophogitis (which is basically the thrush infection all the way down my esophogus, not fun) and had to do two courses of Diflucan to get rid of it!

Beth in North Carolina

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08

"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more."

Dr. Seuss

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:10:09 PMSubject: Re: thrush

I've had a horrible time with thrush in the mouth before now. It got to the point where my tongue was constantly sore with shiney patches on. The usual thrush meds didn't do much and not for long. The only thing that has really worked for me is absolute meticulous oral hygeine. I started to thoroughly clean my teeth 3 times a day, make sure that I gave my tongue a good scrub too (at first the tongue would bleed slightly, but that didn't last long) floss and rinse well with a good quality mouthwash. When the thrush finally went I could drop the after lunch scrub, but I still have to be very very thorough. If I'm a bit lax for any reason (time, feeling unwell etc) then it is ready to spring back. I also have to go back to 3 cleans a day when I'm on antibiotics.

All sounds like I didn't take care of my oral hygiene in the first place, but I did. However no one told me that the pred and imuran would cause the problem.

Love Ze xx>> does anyone have any issues with thrush in their mouth. don't always > have it on a daily basis but do have it and this week is even more > horrendous. Know it is the prednisone and imuran. It seems to be > effected also by what i eat. patti, ipf 7'06, nj>

Joyce,

Eating a good quality yogurt with active cultures can help repopulate the mouth and esophogus with healthy bacteria. That leaves less chance for an opportunistic infection like thrush to take hold.

Beth in North Carolina

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08

"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more."

Dr. Seuss

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:17:01 PMSubject: Re: Re: thrush

wow

i didn't realize the meds could create that kind of problem

does diet (yogurt) have anything to do with thrush?Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

From: Zena <zeasman (AT) btinternet (DOT) com>Subject: Re: thrushTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Thursday, December 4, 2008, 12:10 PM

I've had a horrible time with thrush in the mouth before now. It got to the point where my tongue was constantly sore with shiney patches on. The usual thrush meds didn't do much and not for long. The only thing that has really worked for me is absolute meticulous oral hygeine. I started to thoroughly clean my teeth 3 times a day, make sure that I gave my tongue a good scrub too (at first the tongue would bleed slightly, but that didn't last long) floss and rinse well with a good quality mouthwash. When the thrush finally went I could drop the after lunch scrub, but I still have to be very very thorough. If I'm a bit lax for any reason (time, feeling unwell etc) then it is ready to spring back. I also have to go back to 3 cleans a day when I'm on antibiotics.

All sounds like I didn't take care of my oral hygiene in the first place, but I did. However no one told me that the pred and imuran would cause the problem.

Love Ze xx>> does anyone have any issues with thrush in their mouth. don't always > have it on a daily basis but do have it and this week is even more > horrendous. Know it is the prednisone and imuran. It seems to be > effected also by what i eat. patti, ipf 7'06, nj>