RemedySpot.com

Re: Second Grade Winner with an Essay on Autism

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is exactly why inclusion is a must. Both students with and without disabilities learn valuable lessons from one another.Sent from my iPhone

For my daughter, having a brother with autism is not always easy, but she never stops loving him. Abigail wrote an essay for the "Tis the Season' essay contest held by the city of Parkland. Over 300 essays were submitted from Parkland schools, and as the winner she was awarded a check for Autism Speaks. I thought perhaps the group might be interested in sharing how a seven-year-old views having a brother with autism. Here is her essay:

Autism Speaks to Me

If I could help somebody it would be my brother, Grant, who has autism. People with autism, like Grant, sometimes have trouble communicating and they may act "different." I participated in a Walk for Autism Speaks with my family, and I learned that for every 88 kids that are born, one of them has autism like my brother.

If you have a conversation with someone who has autism they are not always able to focus on what you are saying, and they may only want to talk about things that are important to them.

Restaurants, playgrounds and shops can sometimes be too exciting for them at first. They may be loud, say things you do not expect or they have trouble understanding what you are asking them. I would like people to accept kids like my brother who are unique, and not judge them. Just be patient. If you see someone who you think might have autism, you should help them or just be a friend.

I went to camp during the summer with kids who have autism like my brother, and I found out that they can be real friends just like anyone else, we laughed together and played games. It was a blast and I am still friends with many of them.

There are good things about autism, too. My brother is the most fun and active person. He is awesome on computers and every morning when I wake up, my brother has a big smile on his face and he says "It is a beautiful morning." He is still the BEST BROTHER EVER.

I know I may be only seven, but I can make a difference and so can you.

Wow. This is so awesome! It brought tears to my eyes. I am going to share it with my son who is 8 and has a brother who has autism as well. Thank you for sharing this :) Sent from my iPhone

For my daughter, having a brother with autism is not always easy, but she never stops loving him. Abigail wrote an essay for the "Tis the Season' essay contest held by the city of Parkland. Over 300 essays were submitted from Parkland schools, and as the winner she was awarded a check for Autism Speaks. I thought perhaps the group might be interested in sharing how a seven-year-old views having a brother with autism. Here is her essay:

Autism Speaks to Me

If I could help somebody it would be my brother, Grant, who has autism. People with autism, like Grant, sometimes have trouble communicating and they may act "different." I participated in a Walk for Autism Speaks with my family, and I learned that for every 88 kids that are born, one of them has autism like my brother.

If you have a conversation with someone who has autism they are not always able to focus on what you are saying, and they may only want to talk about things that are important to them.

Restaurants, playgrounds and shops can sometimes be too exciting for them at first. They may be loud, say things you do not expect or they have trouble understanding what you are asking them. I would like people to accept kids like my brother who are unique, and not judge them. Just be patient. If you see someone who you think might have autism, you should help them or just be a friend.

I went to camp during the summer with kids who have autism like my brother, and I found out that they can be real friends just like anyone else, we laughed together and played games. It was a blast and I am still friends with many of them.

There are good things about autism, too. My brother is the most fun and active person. He is awesome on computers and every morning when I wake up, my brother has a big smile on his face and he says "It is a beautiful morning." He is still the BEST BROTHER EVER.

It's very nice essay. I read to my son, he is 12 years old but sometimes he doesn't understand his sister and he feel embarrased. My daughter was diagnosis with PDD (NOS) almost three years.

waynes_bug ;

To:

<sList >;

Subject:

Second Grade Winner with an Essay on Autism

Sent:

Sun, Dec 9, 2012 4:26:23 PM

For my daughter, having a brother with autism is not always easy, but she never stops loving him. Abigail wrote an essay for the " Tis the Season' essay contest held by the city of Parkland. Over 300 essays were submitted from Parkland schools, and as the winner she was awarded a check for Autism Speaks. I thought perhaps the group might be interested in sharing how a seven-year-old views having a brother with autism. Here is her essay:

Autism Speaks to Me

If I could help somebody it would be my brother, Grant, who has autism. People with autism, like Grant, sometimes have trouble communicating and they may act " different. " I participated in a Walk for Autism Speaks with my family, and I learned that for every 88 kids that are born, one of them has autism like my brother.

There are good things about autism, too. My brother is the most fun and active person. He is awesome on computers and every morning when I wake up, my brother has a big smile on his face and he says " It is a beautiful morning. " He is still the BEST BROTHER EVER.

This is beautiful. God bless them both!To: sList Sent: Sun, December 9, 2012 11:43:21 AMSubject: Second Grade Winner with an Essay on Autism

Autism Speaks to Me

Reading this was the best part of my dayI am overwhelmed and feeling haggardThank you for sharing this From: sList [mailto:sList ] On Behalf Of waynes_bugSent: Sunday, December 09, 2012 11:26 AMTo: sList Subject: Second Grade Winner with an Essay on Autism For my daughter, having a brother with autism is not always easy, but she never stops loving him. Abigail wrote an essay for the " Tis the Season' essay contest held by the city of Parkland. Over 300 essays were submitted from Parkland schools, and as the winner she was awarded a check for Autism Speaks. I thought perhaps the group might be interested in sharing how a seven-year-old views having a brother with autism. Here is her essay:Autism Speaks to MeIf I could help somebody it would be my brother, Grant, who has autism. People with autism, like Grant, sometimes have trouble communicating and they may act " different. " I participated in a Walk for Autism Speaks with my family, and I learned that for every 88 kids that are born, one of them has autism like my brother.If you have a conversation with someone who has autism they are not always able to focus on what you are saying, and they may only want to talk about things that are important to them. Restaurants, playgrounds and shops can sometimes be too exciting for them at first. They may be loud, say things you do not expect or they have trouble understanding what you are asking them. I would like people to accept kids like my brother who are unique, and not judge them. Just be patient. If you see someone who you think might have autism, you should help them or just be a friend. I went to camp during the summer with kids who have autism like my brother, and I found out that they can be real friends just like anyone else, we laughed together and played games. It was a blast and I am still friends with many of them. There are good things about autism, too. My brother is the most fun and active person. He is awesome on computers and every morning when I wake up, my brother has a big smile on his face and he says " It is a beautiful morning. " He is still the BEST BROTHER EVER.I know I may be only seven, but I can make a difference and so can you.

Amen! Sent from my iPhone

This is exactly why inclusion is a must. Both students with and without disabilities learn valuable lessons from one another.Sent from my iPhone

Autism Speaks to Me