RemedySpot.com

Re: Living without health insurance

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Beth

WOW!!!

you did a great job while waiting for medicare

Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania From: Bruce Moreland <brucemoreland@ gmail.com>Subject: Re: Poor and Pink JoyceTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 6:06 PMPinkNot allowed? oh my.....Well, hopefully they will resume tomorrow and the game that takes threedays to play will go down in history.>>>> So close....... and then the rains and now the game suspended> indefinitely as tomorrow is suppose to be worse. When it does thescore> is 2-2 in the bottom of the sixth and they just need this game to winit>

all. Even mother nature has it in for the Phillies it seems. This isthe> first suspended World Series Game in history. Wonder if they arestaring> at the tv waiting for it to finish or sitting in the rain waiting.This> is really sad for all the fans but nothing to do about it I guess.>> No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com> Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.8.4/1749 - Release Date:10/27/2008 7:57 AM>

Beth,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Little did you know when you pioneered all of these trials that others of us would be right behind you. I am so grateful for all the info and feel calmer knowing somone else has been through it. I have one question though- I was planning on buying a portable concentrator such as the eclipse. Can you tell me why you bought the chad system instead? I saw a young girl at pulmonary rehab and she only uses the travel concentrator when she is out and about. It looks easy to manuver and she can stay out much longer than with the tanks. I have a whole year to decide but thought I would start getting ideas now. Thanks Beth- R. (52) Sarcoid/PF 3/2006 Carlsbad, CaliforniaFrom: Bruce Moreland <brucemoreland@ gmail.com>Subject: Re: Poor and Pink JoyceTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 6:06 PMPinkNot allowed? oh my.....Well, hopefully they will resume tomorrow and the game that takes threedays to play will go down in history.>>>> So close....... and then the rains and now the game suspended> indefinitely as tomorrow is suppose to be worse. When it does thescore> is 2-2 in the bottom of the sixth and they just need this game to winit>

all. Even mother nature has it in for the Phillies it seems. This isthe> first suspended World Series Game in history. Wonder if they arestaring> at the tv waiting for it to finish or sitting in the rain waiting.This> is really sad for all the fans but nothing to do about it I guess.>> No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com> Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.8.4/1749 - Release Date:10/27/2008 7:57 AM>

Hi , The only thing about the portables is they only go to 5L an are quite pricey if you have a bump and need more. How many L do you use now ? I know I would be so ticked to buy one then need more soon after. The e tanks are such a pain to get out with. They have stopped me from my little trips by myself.. I do hate this disease. Anyhow Take care of you.Oh I know what I was gonna say. We here in the State of Fl. have a Med. card and get discounts on Meds. It is good for . I am on medicare. I went to my florida.gov and there it was. Also our county has a discount card. I was surprised. check and see if Ca. has such a program. Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."  Beth,Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  Little did you know when you pioneered all of these trials that others of us would be right behind you.  I am so grateful for all the info and feel calmer knowing somone else has been through it.  I have one question though-  I was planning on buying a portable concentrator such as the eclipse.  Can you tell me why you bought the chad system instead?  I saw a young girl at pulmonary rehab and she only uses the travel concentrator when she is out and about.  It looks easy to manuver and she can stay out much longer than with the tanks.  I have a whole year to decide but thought I would start getting ideas now.  Thanks Beth- R. (52)  Sarcoid/PF  3/2006   Carlsbad, California--- On Wed, 10/29/08, Beth <mbmurtha (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> wrote:From: Beth <mbmurtha (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Living without health insuranceTo: Breathe-Support Date: Wednesday, October 29, 2008, 5:00 PM,Well I can only tell you what I did, how I managed. Having no insurance while having a serious illness isn't fun. I've found it very stressful but with a good amount of work, and creative thinking, the generosity of others and the good Lord watching out for me I've managed. My time of no insurance is over this coming Saturday. I made it through the 2 year Medicare waiting period. As of November 1 (Saturday), I'm covered! Thank God! The one thing to remember about Medicare is, it's not free. Medicare itself, Parts A and B will cost me about $96 a month, my Medigap policy is about $250 a month and my Part D prescription coverage is about $35 a month. UGH! It's an awfully big percentage of my Social Security but it beats having no insurance at all. Here are some of the things that I did to cope for the last year or so. I own my own concentrator.  I was given mine by a lovely lady in Bethesda MD who lost her husband to PF and just wanted to give away the concentrators she had. So for the cost of a road trip from NY to Bethesda I got two concentrators, one of which produces up to 10 liters. I had both of them reconditioned by Oxygen Plus in Virginia. At the time it cost about $300 for each of them and they still carry the 5 year warranty.My siblings also all chipped in and bought me a Chad Total O2 system. This is a concentrator that refills tanks. This was a HUGE factor in helping me to live without insurance. I was no longer dependent on an oxygen supplier to bring me tanks. The only time I needed that was when I traveled. Since filled D tanks cost (in my area) $10.25 each. This saved me $70-$80 a week. I would have been much more housebound without that tank filling concentrator.When I moved to North Carolina last November and discovered that I could not get Medicaid here as I had in NY, it was a very unpleasant surprise.  I was seen at Duke in December, had bloodwork done and some other testing and incurred a bill in excess of $1500. Duke was most helpful and arranged a payment plan that was affordable for me, $62.50 per month. They then gave me the forms to apply for aid from the financial hardship program at Duke. That was granted and my care since that first visit has been paid for by that program. Fortunately I have remained relatively healthy during this time and I've only had to be seen 3 times since then. 2 regular visits and 1 when I was sick last month.Medications are the other big problem when you don't have insurance. I contacted Caring Voice Coalition and was directed to www.needymeds. com. This terrific website lists virtually every manufacturer program for low or no cost prescription drugs. I was able to get both my Advair and my Nexium at no charge from the manufacturers through programs that were listed on needymeds.I paid for less expensive medications out of pocket when needed. For example when I needed Levaquin last month, I got the generic Levafloxacin and just paid for it. When I was still in NY I was often given samples by my doctor there, samples of Advair, Nexium etc etc. I would also suggest working on establishing a relationship with your pharmacist. Let them know you don't have insurance and ask what programs they know about that could help. Many chains have discount programs and the pharmacists have information on alot of stuff that the average customer won't have knowledge of.As I said, it's not been fun, it has been stressful but I've managed. This is what worked for me and it's what I cobbled together to make the best of a less than ideal situation. I feel as though I managed to continue to receive excellent care. From what I've been able to find out most university medical centers have financial hardship programs similar to Dukes. It is possible to get good care when you don't have insurance. You do have to be willing to get on the phone, ask questions, fill out forms, provide proof of income (or lack thereof) and wait. But I have found that most people are kind and really want to help. I worked to make them my allies and I was usually successful. It's over Saturday and I won't miss it. But it does feel good that I managed to take care of myself insurance or not!  Beth-ModeratorFibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08      "Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!" Miss FrizzleFrom: denise randel <dnsrndl (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 1:02:38 PMSubject:  Updates!I have been reading all posts but am behind in replying because I broke the rules and got sick again!  One round of Levaquin down and tomorrow I start something called augmentin ( not sure if I spelled it right)  I don't have congestion just sore throat that won't go away and tightness in the lungs and wheezing.  So I decided to check in Gwynnie style! Bruce:  Thanks so much for all the insurance help.  I found out that Social Security doesn't cover teachers BUT  under COBRA laws they should have designated me disabled and then I would have qualiied for the extended COBRA coverage. Now it is too late, but Aetna ( because they also dropped the ball and didn't notify me in time) will extend my coverage for a year.  After that I have no clue what I will do but at least I have a year to figure something out. Geeta:  When my daughter had her baby daughter two years ago9 she also has a 6 year old son) I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to help much, but there were so many things that I was able to do.  I rocked the baby to sleep each day, made some meals, and played with my grandson a lot so his mommy could rest. It was a wonderful two months and I ended up being somuch more help than I thought I would be. Plus it was an experience of a lifetime to be there when the baby was born! What wonderful memories. Also- I am planning to call you as soon as my voice is back- The sore throat doesn't bother me as much as the no talking (lol).May: Just like you adapt to doing things differently in your everyday life, you adapt the grandma "duties." I always have my kids place their babies in my arms while I am sitting. I can't pick up the toddlers, but I can sure cuddle them a ton . I have learned to do sitting activites with them. We watch cartoons, color, play games like Candy land, or they entertain me ( sing, dance, do goofy plays) while I sit admiringly and watch ( this by the way is their favorite activity!). As they get older it is even easier since you can go watch their sports games, take them to the show, etc. I am a very active grandma, I see my grandkids quite a bit , but I am not physically active with them,no chasing them at the park, swinging them in the air, etc. and it doesn't matter a bit.  Beth: Since I am soon going to be in your "no Insurance boat" I would love to get tips and suggestions from you. I need oxygen full time now so I have that to consider as well as prescriptions. Thanks for the help.  R. (52)  Sarcoid/PF  3/2006   Carlsbad, CaliforniaFrom: Bruce Moreland <brucemoreland@ gmail.com>Subject: Re: Poor and Pink JoyceTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 6:06 PMPinkNot allowed? oh my.....Well, hopefully they will resume tomorrow and the game that takes threedays to play will go down in history.>>>> So close....... and then the rains and now the game suspended> indefinitely as tomorrow is suppose to be worse. When it does thescore> is 2-2 in the bottom of the sixth and they just need this game to winit> all. Even mother nature has it in for the Phillies it seems. This isthe> first suspended World Series Game in history. Wonder if they arestaring> at the tv waiting for it to finish or sitting in the rain waiting.This> is really sad for all the fans but nothing to do about it I guess.>> No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com> Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.8.4/1749 - Release Date:10/27/2008 7:57 AM>