RemedySpot.com

Responding to questions about your child's college/career plans

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My son has reached the age at which it would be expected that he is preparing for college. Any ideas on the best way to respond to innocent inquiries about his college plans? I don't want to appear abrupt but it's also uncomfortable for the other person when I say that he's not on that track. I start a new job Monday so I'm anticipating those questions as I meet with my new colleagues.

Would appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

Joan

Great responses! I especially like "...exploring his options."

To: sList Sent: Friday, February 24, 2012 4:44 PMSubject: Re: Responding to questions about your child's college/career plans

I wouldn't stress over anyone asking about your child's college plans. As a rule, I just tell people that my son is on the autism spectrum and he has chosen an alternative path instead of going to college. If you choose not to say something like - My son is on the autism spectrum and he is not going to college - you could simply answer with ont of the following:He is planning to enter a work program where he will learn on the job. (Voc. Rehab and a job)He is planning to take courses at a technical school instead of going to college. (My son did this and did well in graphic arts classes)He is taking some specialized classes to go into ~ whatever (name something)~ field of work. (taking on line classes like med. transcription or data entry so he can work from home, etc.)My son has chosen not to go to college at this time. (He may decide to go later, but we haven't made that decision yet.)If your son has no plans

to get a job or get any further education, you can say he is exploring his options as far as further education is concerned. You can add the phrase 'while he is working' if you want. (you need not explain what he is working on, even if they are simple chores at home or part-time or temporary work outside the home.) Be proud of whatever your child accomplishes, even if college is not an option. If others have a problem with his not going to college, it is exactly that - THEIR problem. Glenda>> My son has reached the age at which it would be expected that he is preparing for college. Any ideas on the best way to respond to innocent inquiries about his college plans? I don't want to appear abrupt but it's also

uncomfortable for the other person when I say that he's not on that track. I start a new job Monday so I'm anticipating those questions as I meet with my new colleagues.> Would appreciate any advice!> Thanks!> Joan>