RemedySpot.com

Re: Intro / MB

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sher

Yes, Disability only covers you until retirement age. This is true with private disability policies as well. As to the amount of retirement benefit, once one is on social security disability, then that amount also becomes their retirement benefit amount.

Disability and Retirement social security come from the same basic pot of money. Disability social security is simply allowing you to start earlier because of your disability. The only differences really between disability and retirement are in a couple of quirks related to medicare:

Those disabled have to wait and meet the 24 month rule for medicare. There are groups working hard to try to get that changed as there should be. Its ridiculous that those disabled aren't eligible for medicare.

Insurance companies are not required to offer the same products or pricing to disabled as they do to retired on medicare. Specifically, they aren't required to offer all the medicare supplement policies and the ones required vary by state. Second, they can price by age and can build in a substantial penalty for being under 65 to discourage disabled from taking the policy they are required to provide.

> > >> > > I have been poked and prodded, x-rayed, given Dracula> > a couple of> > gallons of blood,> > > sliced diced and sectioned, then pftd and walked into> > the floor for> > the past year.> > >> > > Basically, last year I caught what was supposedly a> > cold. Then a> > couple of weeks later, it> > > was changed to must have been the flu. Then, oops,> > looks like ground> > glass, sorry it is> > > IPF. Maybe. Or NSIP. Maybe. Or NSIP with an autoimmune> > disease> > component. Several> > > months later, and the diagnosis is currently NSIP with> > an autoimmune> > disease component> > > and a connective tissue disease with it. Personally,> > sounds like a> > catch all. Sorry if I sound> > > frustrated. I am. And scared.> > >> > > I was put on oxygen 3 months ago, 2 liters continuous.> > Thought that I> > did not need it,> > > now not sure I can be without it. Not sure if I will> > ever get better.> > Does it get better?> > >> > > I work full time, am single parent of 2 kids still at> > home and> > caregiver to my elderly> > > mother (although honestly, she is taking more care of> > me than I am of> > her lately.)> > >> > > A couple of questions...> > > 1) I feel exhausted a lot of the time, to the point> > that my body seems> > to made of lead. If> > > that normal? Yesterday I was able to do the dishes. It> > took an HOUR!> > then, I need a 2> > > hour nap. I am exhausted.> > >> > > 2) I start sweat buckets sporadically throughout the> > day. (no, not> > menopause). I get> > > drenched. Is that part of this process?> > >> > > 3) Oh, yeah, and just for fun, I think that I am> > catching a cold!! So,> > what do I do now?> > > normally, not an issue. But with whatever I have, and> > the medications> > that I am on what> > > should I do? Is there something that I should do or> > not do?> > >> > > Sorry for the long winded message.> > >> > > Later,> > > > > > DX 08 still pending??> > >> > > >> > >>

Bruce ... thanks. I'm already aware of most of this but I posted for the newbies info. As usual, you are much more thorough than I...

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Sher

Yes, Disability only covers you until retirement age. This is true with private disability policies as well. As to the amount of retirement benefit, once one is on social security disability, then that amount also becomes their retirement benefit amount.

Disability and Retirement social security come from the same basic pot of money. Disability social security is simply allowing you to start earlier because of your disability. The only differences really between disability and retirement are in a couple of quirks related to medicare:

Those disabled have to wait and meet the 24 month rule for medicare. There are groups working hard to try to get that changed as there should be. Its ridiculous that those disabled aren't eligible for medicare. Insurance companies are not required to offer the same products or pricing to disabled as they do to retired on medicare. Specifically, they aren't required to offer all the medicare supplement policies and the ones required vary by state. Second, they can price by age and can build in a substantial penalty for being under 65 to discourage disabled from taking the policy they are required to provide.

> > >> > > I have been poked and prodded, x-rayed, given Dracula> > a couple of> > gallons of blood,> > > sliced diced and sectioned, then pftd and walked into> > the floor for> > the past year.> > >> > > Basically, last year I caught what was supposedly a> > cold. Then a> > couple of weeks later, it> > > was changed to must have been the flu. Then, oops,> > looks like ground> > glass, sorry it is> > > IPF. Maybe. Or NSIP. Maybe. Or NSIP with an autoimmune> > disease> > component. Several> > > months later, and the diagnosis is currently NSIP with> > an autoimmune> > disease component> > > and a connective tissue disease with it. Personally,> > sounds like a> > catch all. Sorry if I sound> > > frustrated. I am. And scared.> > >> > > I was put on oxygen 3 months ago, 2 liters continuous.> > Thought that I> > did not need it,> > > now not sure I can be without it. Not sure if I will> > ever get better.> > Does it get better?> > >> > > I work full time, am single parent of 2 kids still at> > home and> > caregiver to my elderly> > > mother (although honestly, she is taking more care of> > me than I am of> > her lately.)> > >> > > A couple of questions...> > > 1) I feel exhausted a lot of the time, to the point> > that my body seems> > to made of lead. If> > > that normal? Yesterday I was able to do the dishes. It> > took an HOUR!> > then, I need a 2> > > hour nap. I am exhausted.> > >> > > 2) I start sweat buckets sporadically throughout the> > day. (no, not> > menopause). I get> > > drenched. Is that part of this process?> > >> > > 3) Oh, yeah, and just for fun, I think that I am> > catching a cold!! So,> > what do I do now?> > > normally, not an issue. But with whatever I have, and> > the medications> > that I am on what> > > should I do? Is there something that I should do or> > not do?> > >> > > Sorry for the long winded message.> > >> > > Later,> > > > > > DX 08 still pending??> > >> > > >> > >>

Bruce ... thanks. I'm already aware of most of this but I posted for the newbies info. As usual, you are much more thorough than I...

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

Sher

Those disabled have to wait and meet the 24 month rule for medicare. There are groups working hard to try to get that changed as there should be. Its ridiculous that those disabled aren't eligible for medicare. Insurance companies are not required to offer the same products or pricing to disabled as they do to retired on medicare. Specifically, they aren't required to offer all the medicare supplement policies and the ones required vary by state. Second, they can price by age and can build in a substantial penalty for being under 65 to discourage disabled from taking the policy they are required to provide.

Sher