RemedySpot.com

Re: What would you say to a first year med student?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

On Friday I am participating in the University of Michigan "ABDOMINAL CLASSICS". I will sit in an exam room with a faculty doctor and groups of 6 first year med students will come in and hear my story of PSC, liver transplant, UC, itching, HE and anything else I want to bring up. Last year I did the same and in the 15 minutes of allotted time I felt that I had a unique opportunity to tell the patient's POV. I mentioned how my first doc never heard me when I complained of diarrhea, so I was never given any meds to help. That went on for several years until I moved and got a new doctor who help tremendously.

The students also have time to ask questions and I do my best to answer. The faculty doc also adds to the discussion if it is appropriate. The "kids" will rotate through in groups of 6 until they are finished. Last year I was there from 8 AM until 2 PM with breaks.

So, I'm open to some suggestions on what you would tell the students if you were in my place.

Open for ideas

"prof" MizKit

Supercharge your AIM. Get the AIM toolbar for your browser.

Guest guest

On Friday I am participating in the University of Michigan "ABDOMINAL CLASSICS". I will sit in an exam room with a faculty doctor and groups of 6 first year med students will come in and hear my story of PSC, liver transplant, UC, itching, HE and anything else I want to bring up. Last year I did the same and in the 15 minutes of allotted time I felt that I had a unique opportunity to tell the patient's POV. I mentioned how my first doc never heard me when I complained of diarrhea, so I was never given any meds to help. That went on for several years until I moved and got a new doctor who help tremendously.

The students also have time to ask questions and I do my best to answer. The faculty doc also adds to the discussion if it is appropriate. The "kids" will rotate through in groups of 6 until they are finished. Last year I was there from 8 AM until 2 PM with breaks.

So, I'm open to some suggestions on what you would tell the students if you were in my place.

Open for ideas

"prof" MizKit

Guest guest

-----Original

Message-----

So, I'm open to some suggestions

on what you would tell the students if you were in my place.

Ohhhh man, don’t get me started! Guess if I had to narrow it down to one

thing, it would be for them to think long and hard

about the way they tell people bad news.

We know it’s no fun for them, but the way they deliver the news can

make or break the patient and can determine their whole outlook from that point

forward. How would THEY like to

hear the news? I’d be willing

to bet not a one of them would like to have the curtain pulled back after an

ERCP and hear “your son has PSC and will need a liver transplant sometime

in the future” and then have the doctor leave while you’re standing

there in shock.

Barb in Texas - Together in the Fight, Whatever it Takes!

Son Ken (33) UC 91 - PSC 99 - Tx 6/21 & 6/30/07 @ Baylor in Dallas

Guest guest

Hi Mizkit,If possible, you could bring a PSC brochure with you and suggest they hand them out to new patients.I wish we had gotten one. I also would tell them to offer any other ways the patient can get more information orjoin groups that might be in the area. Support is so important. If they can't answer the question, they should be ableto at least direct the patient where to look.Thanks for being a volunteer, it will make better doctors.LeeThe students also have time to ask questions and I do my best to answer.  The faculty doc also adds to the discussion if it is appropriate.  The "kids" will rotate through in groups of 6 until they are finished. Last year I was there from 8 AM until 2 PM  with breaks.  So,  I'm open to some suggestions on what you would tell the students if you were in my place. Open for ideas"prof" MizKit

Guest guest

Wow - what a golden opportunity. It sounds like you're doing a great job. I particularly like the part where you talk about the doctor who ignored you regarding the diarrhea. I know I have a hard time expressing my symptoms, so it seems to take a long time to get help.Marie

To: From: cmp12305@...Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 13:29:26 -0500Subject: Re: What would you say to a first year med student?

Open for ideas

"prof" MizKit

Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser! Learn more.

Guest guest

Wow - what a golden opportunity. It sounds like you're doing a great job. I particularly like the part where you talk about the doctor who ignored you regarding the diarrhea. I know I have a hard time expressing my symptoms, so it seems to take a long time to get help.Marie

To: From: cmp12305@...Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 13:29:26 -0500Subject: Re: What would you say to a first year med student?

Open for ideas

"prof" MizKit

Guest guest

Open for ideas

"prof" MizKit