RemedySpot.com

RE: Pancreatitis and PSC

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I'm 43 and have had PSC for 20 years. When I was first diagnosed I had my gallbladder removed and also had a common bile duct stent placed that was removed 7 months later after it was totally clogged up (a whole 'nother tragic story as to the dark ages of PSC management). Subsequently, I had numerous acute attacks of pancreatitis that would put me in the hospital for at least a week at a time...at least a dozen times over the course of several years. I was told my pancreatitis was related to the PSC and had a endoscopic sphincterotomy of my pancreatic duct during at s Hopkins. This seemed to relieve the more acute episodes of pancreatitis that would put me in the hospital, but I started having more mild attacks and low grade pain, more frequently at night. With all the ERCP's I've had I've never been told I have any stones. Anyway, It seemed like I would be stuck with the pain forever. Several of my doctors tried to tell me that pain was acid reflux. I do have some acid reflux, but I think anyone who has had pancreatitis can attest, that once you've had it you KNOW exactly what it feels like! Anyway, I hope your acute attacks will subside as mine have...perhaps ask your doctor if sphincterotomy is an option? I would say the sphincterotomy was worth it for me even though it left me with the more frequent low grade pain, which I have at this point learned how to manage or avoid altogether.

Jeff in FL

PS- On a side note I have had numerous ERCP's and never had pancreatitis as a result...knock on wood!

Just wanted to introduce myself to the group.My name is Moylan and I was diagnosed with PSC in 1993. I am 42 years old and I live in San Texas. I am married and I have a 4 year old son. The only symptom I had in the beginning was itching but that went away after a few months. I was asymptomatic until I had a bout of cholangitis in 1997. In November 2007 I was hospitalized for seven days with pancreatitis. I was hospitalized with pancreatitis again in December 2007 for four days. In February and again in May 2008 I was hospitalized with colangitis. My GI placed a distal CBD stent in May 2008 and he referred me to Methodist Transplant Hospital for an evaluation.I have an appointment with the transplant clinic next week. My doctor was never able to tell me what triggered the pancreatitis. Was my pancreatitis caused by PSC?Thanks PSC 1993

Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

Guest guest

I'm 43 and have had PSC for 20 years. When I was first diagnosed I had my gallbladder removed and also had a common bile duct stent placed that was removed 7 months later after it was totally clogged up (a whole 'nother tragic story as to the dark ages of PSC management). Subsequently, I had numerous acute attacks of pancreatitis that would put me in the hospital for at least a week at a time...at least a dozen times over the course of several years. I was told my pancreatitis was related to the PSC and had a endoscopic sphincterotomy of my pancreatic duct during at s Hopkins. This seemed to relieve the more acute episodes of pancreatitis that would put me in the hospital, but I started having more mild attacks and low grade pain, more frequently at night. With all the ERCP's I've had I've never been told I have any stones. Anyway, It seemed like I would be stuck with the pain forever. Several of my doctors tried to tell me that pain was acid reflux. I do have some acid reflux, but I think anyone who has had pancreatitis can attest, that once you've had it you KNOW exactly what it feels like! Anyway, I hope your acute attacks will subside as mine have...perhaps ask your doctor if sphincterotomy is an option? I would say the sphincterotomy was worth it for me even though it left me with the more frequent low grade pain, which I have at this point learned how to manage or avoid altogether.

Jeff in FL

PS- On a side note I have had numerous ERCP's and never had pancreatitis as a result...knock on wood!

Just wanted to introduce myself to the group.My name is Moylan and I was diagnosed with PSC in 1993. I am 42 years old and I live in San Texas. I am married and I have a 4 year old son. The only symptom I had in the beginning was itching but that went away after a few months. I was asymptomatic until I had a bout of cholangitis in 1997. In November 2007 I was hospitalized for seven days with pancreatitis. I was hospitalized with pancreatitis again in December 2007 for four days. In February and again in May 2008 I was hospitalized with colangitis. My GI placed a distal CBD stent in May 2008 and he referred me to Methodist Transplant Hospital for an evaluation.I have an appointment with the transplant clinic next week. My doctor was never able to tell me what triggered the pancreatitis. Was my pancreatitis caused by PSC?Thanks PSC 1993

Guest guest

Hi Lori,

I see you're a real estate agent...so am I! I hope WI is treating you better than FL is treating me! lol

Yes, 20 years is it a very LONG time to have PSC. Sometimes I wish I could just go ahead and get a transplant and be done with it, but I know that's not necessarily the case or even right. I only started taking high dose URSO in 2005 after a year of having cholangitis attacks that went from a couple times a year to at least monthly, in addition to bad episodes of itching. I believe the URSO has helped my symptoms a lot. I currently weigh 130 lbs and take 1500 mg/day. I have even managed to start exercising again and put on a little weight, which is very difficult for me...I have dropped as low as 110 lbs a couple of times. I also take a Creon Cap (pancreatic enzyme) with every meal, which seems to have aided with the pancreatitis....forgot to mention that before.

I do not take vitamins per se, but after the conference I am wondering if I should be more thoroughly evaluated as to nutritional status (A,E,D, K, and bone density). As far as supplements, I take:

-3 softgel caps of "Super Fisol" Fish Oil by Nature's Way/day

-Off and on I've taken Milk Thistle through the years and currently take 3 Super ThisilyN/day by Nature's Way

-2 Glucosamine (1500 mg) with MSM (1000 mg)/day for my joint pains....I have had 'bouts of arthritis off and on and just general joint problems.

-About 1-3 tsp/day of extra virgin Coconut Oil (Jarrow Formulas). This is not hydrogenated, but does have saturated fat. I don't have any evidence of heart disease as far as I know, so I don't worry about that so much. It does seem to improve my energy levels.

I eat well...lots of fruit, vegetables, raw foods, whole grains, and judicious portions of quality animal protein, which at times I have cut out altogether and gone vegetarian. I eat organic when I can and even joined a local community supported agriculture program here during the growing season. Eating healthy has become very expensive. I find that typically, whole foods are expensive and processed food is cheap. I do not have UC or Chron's, so luckily, I am not really limited in what I can eat. I do not eat much fried food, no alcohol, and limited caffeine and little refined sugar. I do still have a weakness for chocolate and ice creams of all sorts, but I try to keep that to a minimum.

Jeff in FL

Hi Jeff, I am just curious. Since you have had PSC for 20 years without a transplant are you taking any meds or natural herbs or vitamins? Maybe I am misinformed but that is a long time to have PSC according to the doctors I have talked to. My Dad has had it for 12 years and hasn't had that many symptoms except itching & liver pain occasionally. Do you have any symptoms? Are you taking or eating anything on a consistant basis? Just trying to get help for my Dad while he is still stable.

Lori A.

"Aggressively Pursuing Solutions To Your Real Estate Needs!"

First Weber Group

Cell:

1507 E. Sunset Drive

Waukesha, WI 53189

LoriUSA (AT) Yahoo (DOT) com

www.Lori.FirstWeber.com

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

Guest guest

Hi Lori,

I see you're a real estate agent...so am I! I hope WI is treating you better than FL is treating me! lol

Yes, 20 years is it a very LONG time to have PSC. Sometimes I wish I could just go ahead and get a transplant and be done with it, but I know that's not necessarily the case or even right. I only started taking high dose URSO in 2005 after a year of having cholangitis attacks that went from a couple times a year to at least monthly, in addition to bad episodes of itching. I believe the URSO has helped my symptoms a lot. I currently weigh 130 lbs and take 1500 mg/day. I have even managed to start exercising again and put on a little weight, which is very difficult for me...I have dropped as low as 110 lbs a couple of times. I also take a Creon Cap (pancreatic enzyme) with every meal, which seems to have aided with the pancreatitis....forgot to mention that before.

I do not take vitamins per se, but after the conference I am wondering if I should be more thoroughly evaluated as to nutritional status (A,E,D, K, and bone density). As far as supplements, I take:

-Off and on I've taken Milk Thistle through the years and currently take 3 Super ThisilyN/day by Nature's Way

-2 Glucosamine (1500 mg) with MSM (1000 mg)/day for my joint pains....I have had 'bouts of arthritis off and on and just general joint problems.

-About 1-3 tsp/day of extra virgin Coconut Oil (Jarrow Formulas). This is not hydrogenated, but does have saturated fat. I don't have any evidence of heart disease as far as I know, so I don't worry about that so much. It does seem to improve my energy levels.

I eat well...lots of fruit, vegetables, raw foods, whole grains, and judicious portions of quality animal protein, which at times I have cut out altogether and gone vegetarian. I eat organic when I can and even joined a local community supported agriculture program here during the growing season. Eating healthy has become very expensive. I find that typically, whole foods are expensive and processed food is cheap. I do not have UC or Chron's, so luckily, I am not really limited in what I can eat. I do not eat much fried food, no alcohol, and limited caffeine and little refined sugar. I do still have a weakness for chocolate and ice creams of all sorts, but I try to keep that to a minimum.

Jeff in FL

Hi Jeff, I am just curious. Since you have had PSC for 20 years without a transplant are you taking any meds or natural herbs or vitamins? Maybe I am misinformed but that is a long time to have PSC according to the doctors I have talked to. My Dad has had it for 12 years and hasn't had that many symptoms except itching & liver pain occasionally. Do you have any symptoms? Are you taking or eating anything on a consistant basis? Just trying to get help for my Dad while he is still stable.

Lori A.

First Weber Group

Cell:

1507 E. Sunset Drive

Waukesha, WI 53189

www.Lori.FirstWeber.com

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

Guest guest

Hi Lori,

Jeff in FL

Lori A.

First Weber Group

Cell:

1507 E. Sunset Drive

Waukesha, WI 53189

www.Lori.FirstWeber.com

Guest guest

I am no doctor and I have never

experienced Pancreatitis personally. A lot of people on this forum do get Pancreatitis

from ERCP procedures, I have not heard of Pancreatitis occurring spontaneously.

I can think of ways to get Pancreatitis that would be related to PSC. Many

people with PSC have sludge or stones in their gallbladder. If the sludge/stones

block the CBD in the area where the pancreas is connected to the CBD (maybe

because a stricture caused by PSC in that area) it would make sense that the

pancreas would become infected. Once again, I am no doctor.

Regards,

Chaim Boermeester, Israel

Sent: Friday, May 23, 2008 05:06

To:

Subject:

Pancreatitis and PSC

Just wanted to introduce myself to the group.

My name is Moylan and I was diagnosed with PSC in

1993. I am 42 years old and I live in San

Texas. I am

married

and I have a 4 year old son. The only symptom I had in the beginning

was itching but that went away after a few months. I was asymptomatic

until I had a bout of cholangitis in 1997. In November 2007 I was

hospitalized for seven days with pancreatitis. I was hospitalized with

pancreatitis again in December 2007 for four days. In February and

again in May 2008 I was hospitalized with colangitis. My GI placed a

distal CBD stent in May 2008 and he referred me to Methodist Transplant

Hospital for an

evaluation.I have an appointment with the transplant

clinic next week. My doctor was never able to tell me what triggered

the pancreatitis. Was my pancreatitis caused by PSC?

Thanks

PSC 1993

Guest guest

experienced Pancreatitis personally. A lot of people on this forum do get Pancreatitis

people with PSC have sludge or stones in their gallbladder. If the sludge/stones

Regards,

To:

Subject:

Pancreatitis and PSC

Texas. I am

married

Hospital for an

Thanks

PSC 1993

Guest guest

Regards,

To:

Subject:

Pancreatitis and PSC

Texas. I am

married

Hospital for an

Thanks

PSC 1993

Guest guest

Lori A.

First Weber Group

Cell:

1507 E. Sunset Drive

Waukesha, WI 53189

LoriUSA@...

www.Lori.FirstWeber.com

Re: Pancreatitis and PSC

I'm 43 and have had PSC for 20 years. When I was first diagnosed I had my gallbladder removed and also had a common bile duct stent placed that was removed 7 months later after it was totally clogged up (a whole 'nother tragic story as to the dark ages of PSC management). Subsequently, I had numerous acute attacks of pancreatitis that would put me in the hospital for at least a week at a time...at least a dozen times over the course of several years. I was told my pancreatitis was related to the PSC and had a endoscopic sphincterotomy of my pancreatic duct during at s Hopkins. This seemed to relieve the more acute episodes of pancreatitis that would put me in the hospital, but I started having more mild attacks and low grade pain, more frequently at night. With all the ERCP's I've had I've never been told I have any stones. Anyway, It seemed like I would be stuck

with the pain forever. Several of my doctors tried to tell me that pain was acid reflux. I do have some acid reflux, but I think anyone who has had pancreatitis can attest, that once you've had it you KNOW exactly what it feels like! Anyway, I hope your acute attacks will subside as mine have...perhaps ask your doctor if sphincterotomy is an option? I would say the sphincterotomy was worth it for me even though it left me with the more frequent low grade pain, which I have at this point learned how to manage or avoid altogether.

Jeff in FL

In a message dated 5/23/2008 5:33:48 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, bmoylan (AT) att (DOT) net writes:

Guest guest

Lori A.

First Weber Group

Cell:

1507 E. Sunset Drive

Waukesha, WI 53189

LoriUSA@...

www.Lori.FirstWeber.com

Re: Pancreatitis and PSC

I'm 43 and have had PSC for 20 years. When I was first diagnosed I had my gallbladder removed and also had a common bile duct stent placed that was removed 7 months later after it was totally clogged up (a whole 'nother tragic story as to the dark ages of PSC management). Subsequently, I had numerous acute attacks of pancreatitis that would put me in the hospital for at least a week at a time...at least a dozen times over the course of several years. I was told my pancreatitis was related to the PSC and had a endoscopic sphincterotomy of my pancreatic duct during at s Hopkins. This seemed to relieve the more acute episodes of pancreatitis that would put me in the hospital, but I started having more mild attacks and low grade pain, more frequently at night. With all the ERCP's I've had I've never been told I have any stones. Anyway, It seemed like I would be stuck

with the pain forever. Several of my doctors tried to tell me that pain was acid reflux. I do have some acid reflux, but I think anyone who has had pancreatitis can attest, that once you've had it you KNOW exactly what it feels like! Anyway, I hope your acute attacks will subside as mine have...perhaps ask your doctor if sphincterotomy is an option? I would say the sphincterotomy was worth it for me even though it left me with the more frequent low grade pain, which I have at this point learned how to manage or avoid altogether.

Jeff in FL

In a message dated 5/23/2008 5:33:48 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, bmoylan (AT) att (DOT) net writes:

Guest guest

I am not a doctor either and I do not know if Pancreatitis may result

from PSC. What I did read in some articles is that there exists

something called 'autoimmune pancreatitis', which may give PSC-like

biliary strictures. It has probably been investigated if you do not

have automimmune pancreatitis instead of PSC (is IgG4 raised in the

bloodwork?). However, just in case, you could maybe inquire about this

because autoimmune pancreatitis does seem to be highly responsive to

corticosteroids.

Gerard

> clinic next week. My doctor was never able to tell me what triggered

> the pancreatitis. Was my pancreatitis caused by PSC?

Guest guest

corticosteroids.

Gerard

Guest guest

corticosteroids.

Gerard

Guest guest

I have had two episodes of pancreatitis, the first when I was 36 the

second at 42. The first was attributed to gallstones, sludge but no

stones were found when my gall bladder was removed. An ERCP following

the second attack resulted in my PSC diagnosis and a roux-en-y

construction to replace my common bile duct to avoid further problems

with pancreatitis. Nine years later I had a liver transplant.

I think both episodes were caused by stones formed in my bile ducts

descending and causing a blockage, backing bile into the pancreatic

duct. The cause of your pancreatitis may be different, especially if

you are taking high dose ursodiol and stones are less likely to form.

Hope you can quickly resolve whatever is causing the frequent

pancreatitis. I know it is no fun to have.

Tim R, ltx 4/4/98, 6/19/07 & 7/7/07

Guest guest

I have had two episodes of pancreatitis, the first when I was 36 the

second at 42. The first was attributed to gallstones, sludge but no

stones were found when my gall bladder was removed. An ERCP following

the second attack resulted in my PSC diagnosis and a roux-en-y

construction to replace my common bile duct to avoid further problems

with pancreatitis. Nine years later I had a liver transplant.

I think both episodes were caused by stones formed in my bile ducts

descending and causing a blockage, backing bile into the pancreatic

duct. The cause of your pancreatitis may be different, especially if

you are taking high dose ursodiol and stones are less likely to form.

Hope you can quickly resolve whatever is causing the frequent

pancreatitis. I know it is no fun to have.

Tim R, ltx 4/4/98, 6/19/07 & 7/7/07

Guest guest

Some people have autoimmune pancreatitis. You can get pancreatitis from having a

bad flu. Medications that irritate the digestive tract can set of pancreatitis.

My dad (age 73) was just diagnosed with autoimmune pancreatitis. Alcohol can

also set of pancreatitis. There are probably many other things that can set it

off as well, including pregnancy. I'm no expert either. take care, Cheryl ID

PSC/AIH/UC, etc

Pancreatitis and PSC

>

>

>

> Just wanted to introduce myself to the group.

>

> My name is Moylan and I was diagnosed with PSC in

> 1993. I am 42 years old and I live in San Texas. I am married

> and I have a 4 year old son. The only symptom I had in the beginning

> was itching but that went away after a few months. I was asymptomatic

> until I had a bout of cholangitis in 1997. In November 2007 I was

> hospitalized for seven days with pancreatitis. I was hospitalized with

> pancreatitis again in December 2007 for four days. In February and

> again in May 2008 I was hospitalized with colangitis. My GI placed a

> distal CBD stent in May 2008 and he referred me to Methodist Transplant

> Hospital for an evaluation.I have an appointment with the transplant

>

> Thanks

>

>

> PSC 1993

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I have had pancreatitis, 2 days after having an ERCP. It felt like a rock was sitting right below my rib cage. Lucky for me, I work in a hospital, when I went to work that morning and starting telling the nurses how much pain I was in, they knew right away that it was pancreatitis. They wheeled me down to the Emergency Room, got some lab work done, and that's what it was, pancreatitis from my ERCP!Logan Berg wrote: Some people have autoimmune pancreatitis. You can get pancreatitis from having a bad

flu. Medications that irritate the digestive tract can set of pancreatitis. My dad (age 73) was just diagnosed with autoimmune pancreatitis. Alcohol can also set of pancreatitis. There are probably many other things that can set it off as well, including pregnancy. I'm no expert either. take care, Cheryl ID PSC/AIH/UC, etc Pancreatitis and PSC> > > > Just wanted to introduce myself to the group.> > My name is Moylan and I was diagnosed with PSC in > 1993. I am 42 years old and I live in San Texas. I am married > and I have a 4 year old son. The only symptom I had in the beginning > was itching but that went away after a few months. I was asymptomatic > until I had a bout of cholangitis in 1997. In November 2007 I was > hospitalized for

seven days with pancreatitis. I was hospitalized with > pancreatitis again in December 2007 for four days. In February and > again in May 2008 I was hospitalized with colangitis. My GI placed a > distal CBD stent in May 2008 and he referred me to Methodist Transplant > Hospital for an evaluation.I have an appointment with the transplant > clinic next week. My doctor was never able to tell me what triggered > the pancreatitis. Was my pancreatitis caused by PSC?> > Thanks > > > PSC 1993> > > > >

Guest guest

Hi Jeff

I noticed you were taking Glucosamine with MSM for your joint pain. I

read in a book on herbal remedies which listed side effects for these

and other preps that MSM can alter Liver Function Tests [who knew?].

As this is something you're probably monitoring, you may want to check

with your GI/Hepatologist to see if they think it's worth it at this

point to switch to something other than MSM. [For me it was shortly

after my PSC diagnosis so it seemed worth it to me at the time.] I

used to take Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM but switched to

Glucosamine with Chondroitin instead with similar beneficial effects.