RemedySpot.com

Re: Hormone Testing, BCPs, and Period Questions-

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I'm 24 years old and was diagnosed with VVS, PFD and atophic dermatitis. I feel what your going through and I can relate to having a hard time getting tested for hormone levels at a young age. I asked two of my OBGYN's, they told me that it wasn't necessary due to my age and that I get my cycle every month. I was quite frustrated to say the least, so I ask my NP if she'd be willing to help me and she did. HOORAY!!! The results were within "normal range" but that doesn't mean the E & T receptors are working. I was on birth control pills off and on more on than off though. I got off the pill in late Oct. and I noticed a difference in a few weeks. I felt 75%% pain free during intercourse and I was thrilled. Mind you I was also on a strict diet, taking supplements and seeing a Neurology Chiropractor during that time frame.

P.S. I suggest you print copies of studies done that relate with you and let your doctor read them....thats what I'm going to start doing.

Stay Positive & Open-Minded

Hormone Testing, BCPs, and Period Questions

Sometimes, I just get so frustrated when the doctors don't know. I wish I could just show them some of the information some of you ladies have posted and have them try what I'm suggesting.

...These are my thoughts after my annual when my doc refused to do hormone testing for me. She says that there are no "normal" ranges and that the only real hormonal testing would just indicate if I am menopausal or not (and so they won't do it at my age, since I'm only 23), as the only real "normal" they have to judge is my FSH level.

The doc also told me that if what I'm saying is true and I do have an estrogen deficiency that is causing the pain, then their "solution" would be to put me on BCP's, since I shouldn't have the problem since they regulate my hormones. (Well, I *do* still have the problem on BCP, and I'd like to know what my hormones are like on their own and what BCP is best if I do choose to go back on). And yet again, I feel like I wish my doctor read some of the posts on this list, about BCP's affecting the E & T receptors. I'm not sure I'll go back on, but I do feel like I need to do something! ...because since I came off the pills, I've gotten my period every 7-14 days. And I want to do something about it...I'm just not sure what my other options are besides BCPs again. Any thoughts/suggestions?

And back to hormone testing -- I guess my first question for you ladies is how you go about getting hormone testing done. Who can order the tests -- a gyn, a primary, or any doctor at all? Are there only certain/special labs that do it? Is it a different procedure than other bloodwork, because it varies throughout the cycle and might have to be repeated? Is it something that is done for women who are clearly not menopausal yet? And do you have any suggestions for how I might go about getting it done?

I ask because I really do think a component of my pain is hormonal. The only time I can have sex/penetration without any pain at all is during my period. And it's not simply the lubrication as someone suggested, because I have tried other natural and artificial lubricants, and while they enable penetration to happen, they *do not* make it any less painful.

....Though I also have painful/abnormal periods, but that's another question altogether. And one I wanted to ask you ladies as well... please pardon my asking for this as it may be a bit graphic, but this is something I had never even thought to ask, because I just assumed it was normal and never thought it might be a symptom of anything... but, my boyfriend told me that none of his ex's have been this way, and that he thinks it may be. So, that being said, what color is it when you have your period? In my case it's very dark in color, often almost black or dark-dark brown, rather than red. And I'm wondering if this is normal among you ladies? And/or if this is normal in general?

Thank you ladies,

~~

Supercharge your AIM. Get the AIM toolbar for your browser.