RemedySpot.com

Happy re-birthday!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

To Steve R (July 4, 2003 - founding member of the triple-tx club)! Although no longer a Psc-support member, Steve is an active member in the Iowa Lions (guest speaker, etc.) and Iowa Donor Network. His story is in the files, under Members Folder " But I Don't Even Like Roller Coasters " .

Here's his pre-transplant post from July 3, 2003

WE INTERRUPT THIS PROGRAM TO BRING YOU THE FOLLOWING SPECIAL REPORT

We have now confirmed that Steve Rahn received a call a short while ago from Transplant Coordinators at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and will soon depart for Iowa City, where he will undergo liver transplantation within 24 hours. The 54 year-old East Central Iowa resident is in good spirits, and said he was looking forward to having my health back and being able to lead a normal life again.  There is an unconfirmed report that Rahn's reaction to the call was YEEHAHH!!! . Rahn's children will begin making their way from St. Louis to Iowa City shortly. If the surgery and post-op period goes well, Rahn will recuperate at the home of a friend for several weeks after being discharged, until he is able to return to his own home.

STAY TUNED TO THIS STATION FOR UPDATES AS INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE. WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAM.

And, on July 12, 2003

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm back home. My kids came up from St. Louis last night, and I was discharged about 1:30 this afternoon. My oldest son will stay with me all week, until my friend gets home from a trip that had been scheduled way back in February. The fact that she was out of town from last Monday and won't return until next Sunday was the only black mark on my timing, but we've worked it out. Everything is still going super - much better than expected. Absolutely no pain, just a little discomfort, and I'm even able to negotiate stairs! Of course I still have way too much excess fluid on board, which makes it difficult to find a place to rest, and I'm quite tired. (But there is indeed a difference between Fatigue and being tired :-) Also difficult to sit at the computer for very long yet, so this will be short, but I wanted to update you and thank you all again for your cards and e-mails.

Mike, your visit was great! Thanks for taking the time. BTW, the Pubescent Teenage Girl Look is very much still evident - it was just camouflaged by the hospital gown and robe.

Barb, thanks for taking care of the messaging. And yes, when my nurse told you I had been asking for a steak, I was serious - even though I knew there was no way they were going to feed me anything (not that they could have, I still had an NG tube in place), that's how hungry I was! Which pleased the Docs to no end, of course, but still left me starving.

You all are such a great group, I'm proud to say I'm a member!

More Later,

Steve R

L Tx 9/6 & 9/8 '85. (Wash. U-STL)

Re - Born on July 4, 2003 (U of Iowa)