Guest guest

Guest guest

My liver is classed as Prominent at 18 cm. I have never been able

to get an answer as to what that really means though

>

> Hi All,

> I am just looking at my son's MRI from last week and once again

they

> mention his markedly enlarged liver, measuring 25.8 cm.

> How do all of you compare on enlarged liver size? Does the liver

size

> have any connection to the stage of PSC?

> My son has not had a biopsy so we don't really know just what

stage he

> is in. The MRI does show a hypertrophied lobe and

> severe [i hate to see this word] hepatic parenchymal cirrhotic

> changes. I just got the report this morning and I will need to get

some

> translation on this one.

> Just wondering,

> Thanks everyone.

> Lee

>

I'm not sure why a liver affected with PSC would be larger than

average - my understanding is that, as the disease progresses towards

cirrhosis, it actually shrinks. Maybe an enlarged liver is a good

sign? We were told that one lobe being " prominent " is really a way of

saying that the other lobe is likely shrunken, probably from fibrosis

or cirrhosis. tx,

Nina in Philly

> My liver is classed as Prominent at 18 cm. I have never been able

> to get an answer as to what that really means though

> they

> > mention his markedly enlarged liver, measuring 25.8 cm.

I'm not sure why a liver affected with PSC would be larger than

average - my understanding is that, as the disease progresses towards

cirrhosis, it actually shrinks. Maybe an enlarged liver is a good

sign? We were told that one lobe being " prominent " is really a way of

saying that the other lobe is likely shrunken, probably from fibrosis

or cirrhosis. tx,

Nina in Philly

> My liver is classed as Prominent at 18 cm. I have never been able

> to get an answer as to what that really means though

> they

> > mention his markedly enlarged liver, measuring 25.8 cm.

My understanding is that as the disease progresses, the liver enlarges. Then, when cirrohsis develops, the liver shrinks.

Marie

To: From: nlr_1@...Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:49:53 +0000Subject: Re: question on size of liver

I'm not sure why a liver affected with PSC would be larger than average - my understanding is that, as the disease progresses towards cirrhosis, it actually shrinks. Maybe an enlarged liver is a good sign? We were told that one lobe being "prominent" is really a way of saying that the other lobe is likely shrunken, probably from fibrosis or cirrhosis. tx,Nina in Philly> My liver is classed as Prominent at 18 cm. I have never been able > to get an answer as to what that really means though > they > > mention his markedly enlarged liver, measuring 25.8 cm. Got Game? Win Prizes in the Windows Live Hotmail Mobile Summer Games Trivia Contest Find out how.

My understanding is that as the disease progresses, the liver enlarges. Then, when cirrohsis develops, the liver shrinks.

Marie

To: From: nlr_1@...Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:49:53 +0000Subject: Re: question on size of liver

I'm not sure why a liver affected with PSC would be larger than average - my understanding is that, as the disease progresses towards cirrhosis, it actually shrinks. Maybe an enlarged liver is a good sign? We were told that one lobe being "prominent" is really a way of saying that the other lobe is likely shrunken, probably from fibrosis or cirrhosis. tx,Nina in Philly> My liver is classed as Prominent at 18 cm. I have never been able > to get an answer as to what that really means though > they > > mention his markedly enlarged liver, measuring 25.8 cm. Got Game? Win Prizes in the Windows Live Hotmail Mobile Summer Games Trivia Contest Find out how.

Marie

Marie Nilsson wrote:

> My understanding is that as the disease progresses, the liver

> enlarges. Then, when cirrohsis develops, the liver shrinks.

I think it actually varies a lot from case to case. When I had my

transplant my liver was very enlarged even though the cirrhosis was

quite advanced, but others here have reported a shrunken liver.

Just one of those unpredictable things about PSC I guess!

athan

>

> *Marie

> *

>

>

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

> To:

> From: nlr_1@...

> Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 11:49:53 +0000

> Subject: Re: question on size of liver

>

> I'm not sure why a liver affected with PSC would be larger than

> average - my understanding is that, as the disease progresses towards

> cirrhosis, it actually shrinks. Maybe an enlarged liver is a good

> sign? We were told that one lobe being " prominent " is really a way of

> saying that the other lobe is likely shrunken, probably from fibrosis

> or cirrhosis. tx,

>

> Nina in Philly

>

> > My liver is classed as Prominent at 18 cm. I have never been able

> > to get an answer as to what that really means though

> > they

> > > mention his markedly enlarged liver, measuring 25.8 cm.

>

>

>

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Got Game? Win Prizes in the Windows Live Hotmail Mobile Summer Games

> Trivia Contest Find out how.

> http://www.gowindowslive.com/summergames?ocid=TXT_TAGHM>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com

> Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.6.0/1604 - Release Date: 8/11/2008 5:50

AM

>

Thanks Marie,I guess once again there is no set rule for how things go with PSC.Looks like this site below thinks 16cm is normal so my son's at 25.8 is really large.Leehttp://www.jultrasoundmed.org/cgi/content/abstract/22/11/1155My understanding is that as the disease progresses, the liver enlarges. Then, when cirrohsis develops, the liver shrinks.

Lee,Actually it appears that 14 - 14.5 cm is normal. About 11.5% had liver's larger than 16 cm. So yes, 25.8 is very large. What stage is your son at with the PSC?Marie

To: From: leedeubert@...Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:09:06 -0400Subject: Re: Re: question on size of liver

Thanks Marie,I guess once again there is no set rule for how things go with PSC.Looks like this site below thinks 16cm is normal so my son's at 25.8 is really large.Leehttp://www.jultrasoundmed.org/cgi/content/abstract/22/11/1155My understanding is that as the disease progresses, the liver enlarges. Then, when cirrohsis develops, the liver shrinks.

Your PC, mobile phone, and online services work together like never before. See how Windows® fits your life

Lee,Actually it appears that 14 - 14.5 cm is normal. About 11.5% had liver's larger than 16 cm. So yes, 25.8 is very large. What stage is your son at with the PSC?Marie

To: From: leedeubert@...Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:09:06 -0400Subject: Re: Re: question on size of liver

Your PC, mobile phone, and online services work together like never before. See how Windows® fits your life

Thanks for catching that Marie. We don't know what stage he is in as he hasnever had a biopsy. So I guess we can't tell from his liver size either.Even on the high dose urso his liver panel is elevated so I think he is further alongthen we would like.LeeLee,Actually it appears that 14 - 14.5 cm is normal. About 11.5% had liver's larger than 16 cm. So yes, 25.8 is very large. What stage is your son at with the PSC?