RemedySpot.com

disability/retirement

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am hoping to hear from anyone who has or is considering various retirement

options with psc.  I have had psc approximately 15 years.  Except for a couple

of bad cholangitis bouts, I have been relatively asymptomatic.  The disease has

progressed to osteopenia and I regularly deal with the upper right quadrant pain

as well as extreme fatigue.  It appears an early retirement offer is about to be

offered which I would qualify.  If I accept, it will result in an approximate 5%

reduction in my annuity.  If I were to apply for a disability and it was

accepted, I would not incur the financial penalty.  Time will be an issue, so I

am trying to take in all potential arguments so as to make an informed

decision.  Aside from financial considerations, I am really not prepared

emotionally for retirement at this time, so I look at this as an opportunity to

start another career or chapter in my life.  So did anyone apply and receive

disability and wish they

had not?  On the otherhand, has anyone taken an early out and wish they had

gone on disability. 

My wife is a full supporter of what ever I decide and up till now, I haven't

discussed this with my physician. 

Thanks for any input.

Phil

psc/UC 93

Phil,

I'd say go for it. It would give you a chance to enjoy life more (visit grand kids?, travel, take afternoon naps) while your health is still good. I'm a bit younger than you (assuming your 57, which is the number in your email address), but have had PSC a bit longer. I haven't worked for an employer that has a pension plan, so I would take quite a financial hit if I retired, otherwise I would. I don't know your full circumstance, so you have to make your own choice (which you would have to do anyway). Keep the faith and the faith will keep you.

Ian (52) PSC 89

I am hoping to hear from anyone who has or is considering various retirement options with psc. I have had psc approximately 15 years. Except for a couple of bad cholangitis bouts, I have been relatively asymptomatic. The disease has progressed to osteopenia and I regularly deal with the upper right quadrant pain as well as extreme fatigue. It appears an early retirement offer is about to be offered which I would qualify. If I accept, it will result in an approximate 5% reduction in my annuity. If I were to apply for a disability and it was accepted, I would not incur the financial penalty. Time will be an issue, so I am trying to take in all potential arguments so as to make an informed decision. Aside from financial considerations, I am really not prepared emotionally for retirement at this time, so I look at this as an opportunity to start another career or chapter in my life. So did anyone apply and receive disability and wish they

had not? On the otherhand, has anyone taken an early out and wish they had gone on disability. My wife is a full supporter of what ever I decide and up till now, I haven't discussed this with my physician.

Thanks for any input.Philpsc/UC 93 -- Ian Cribb P.Eng.