RemedySpot.com

RE: Re: Mouse model of sclerosing cholangitis/Cholesterol question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Using limited medical terminology I wanted to say that I read about a hypothesis which indicated that the cells were not able to glutathionate and therefore this made them immunoreactive.

My son whom has had PSC since he was a year old and is now 13 felt like Superman after IV glutathione. He has never had such strength and energy and liver functions went to normal in his life ! He never wants to do without it again!

Now, to link this with PSC being the arteriosclerosis of the bile duct theory. I just read that low glutathione levels cause hypothyroidism and hypothyroidism causes high cholesterol levels !

So,,,,,I want to keep my son's Glutathione levels up with whey protein, alpha lipoic acid, other things,,,and get his cholesterol and thyroid checked!

Has anyone else read or heard anything along these lines ?

Marna/ mom to Wesley PSC/UC 12 years ( 13 years old and doing well:) )

Subject: Re: Mouse model of sclerosing cholangitis/Cholesterol questionTo: Date: Thursday, October 9, 2008, 9:59 AM

Hi Sandy;High cholesterol, together with fat-soluble vitamin deficiencies, is something to keep an eye on as PSC progresses.nsen RA, Lindor KD, Sartin JS, LaRusso NF, Wiesner RH 1995 Serum lipid and fat-soluble vitamin levels in primary sclerosing cholangitis. J. Clin. Gastroenterol. 20: 215-219. http://www.ncbi. nlm.nih.gov/ pubmed/7797830I would think that if a patient had high cholesterol, then limiting intake of cholesterol would be a good idea. Interestingly, ursodiol has been shown to lower serum cholesterol in PBC patients:Balan V, Dickson ER, nsen RA, Lindor KD 1994 Effect of ursodeoxycholic acid on serum lipids of patients with primary biliary cirrhosis. Mayo Clin. Proc. 69: 923-929. http://www.ncbi. nlm.nih.gov/ pubmed/7934188Cholesterol lowering agents such as statins and fibrates are also options to consider in consultation with your doctor:http://www.psc- literature. org/fibrate. htmBest regards,Dave (father of (23); PSC 07/03; UC 08/03)>> > > Dave, Does this suggest that it might be important to monitor > cholesterol? I'm wondering if it would make sense for my son to> limit the eggs that he eats?> Sandy>

This is very interesting, the link between thyroid, cholesterol and PSC. My husband recently found out his thyroid is producing nothing. Absolutely nothing. The doctor wondered how he has been able to function. Anyway, after being on synthroid he is a new person, plus his cholesterol levels have returned to normal.

The doctor's said his thyroid condition was autoimmune. I definitely think there's a genetic link with PSC. My father-in-law died from "cirrhosis of the liver" way way back before they did ERCPs or PSC had a name. To this day I believe he had PSC. He was not a heavy drinker and only 52yrs.old when his liver failed.

I just know there is an answer out there and someday someone will put all the puzzle pieces together, but I also know it takes $$$ for research. I for one am going to try to do more financially for the cause. The Christmas cards are great!

Ok, enough rambling.

Thanks,

Terry son dx with PSC and UC 3/2000.

McCain or Obama? Stay updated on coverage of the Presidential race while you browse - Download Now!

This is very interesting, the link between thyroid, cholesterol and PSC. My husband recently found out his thyroid is producing nothing. Absolutely nothing. The doctor wondered how he has been able to function. Anyway, after being on synthroid he is a new person, plus his cholesterol levels have returned to normal.

The doctor's said his thyroid condition was autoimmune. I definitely think there's a genetic link with PSC. My father-in-law died from "cirrhosis of the liver" way way back before they did ERCPs or PSC had a name. To this day I believe he had PSC. He was not a heavy drinker and only 52yrs.old when his liver failed.

I just know there is an answer out there and someday someone will put all the puzzle pieces together, but I also know it takes $$$ for research. I for one am going to try to do more financially for the cause. The Christmas cards are great!

Ok, enough rambling.

Thanks,

McCain or Obama? Stay updated on coverage of the Presidential race while you browse - Download Now!

Ok, enough rambling.

Thanks,

To: From: jterry05@...Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 14:48:05 -0400Subject: Re: Re: Mouse model of sclerosing cholangitis/Cholesterol question

This is very interesting, the link between thyroid, cholesterol and PSC. My husband recently found out his thyroid is producing nothing. Absolutely nothing. The doctor wondered how he has been able to function. Anyway, after being on synthroid he is a new person, plus his cholesterol levels have returned to normal. The doctor's said his thyroid condition was autoimmune. I definitely think there's a genetic link with PSC. My father-in-law died from "cirrhosis of the liver" way way back before they did ERCPs or PSC had a name. To this day I believe he had PSC. He was not a heavy drinker and only 52yrs.old when his liver failed. I just know there is an answer out there and someday someone will put all the puzzle pieces together, but I also know it takes $$$ for research. I for one am going to try to do more financially for the cause. The Christmas cards are great!Ok, enough rambling.Thanks, Terry son dx with PSC and UC 3/2000.

McCain or Obama? Stay updated on coverage of the Presidential race while you browse - Download Now! See how Windows Mobile brings your life together—at home, work, or on the go. See Now

Thanks for joining our fundraising to help us find a cure. We appreciate everyone's help!

Ricky

PSC 2003

To: From: jterry05@...Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 14:48:05 -0400Subject: Re: Re: Mouse model of sclerosing cholangitis/Cholesterol question

I just know there is an answer out there and someday someone will put all the puzzle pieces together, but I also know it takes $$$ for research. I for one am going to try to do more financially for the cause. The Christmas cards are great!Ok, enough rambling.Thanks, Terry son dx with PSC and UC 3/2000.

McCain or Obama? Stay updated on coverage of the Presidential race while you browse - Download Now! Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with Windows Live. See Now