Would an EGD show reflux?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

In response to my other post a few people have told me that trying

nexium has helped them (or their family member). So I am wondering if

an endoscopy would show heartburn or reflux or whatever? Is Nexium a

prescription? I'm just wondering since my egd showed nothign maybe I

have heartburn or whatever and it's just not that bad????

PBC PSC

My gallbladder is removed.

Guest guest

I have had heartburn most of my life. I have tried O/C stuff and my Liver Dr. gave me all kind of samples. Nothing helped..What I found work for me is having my throat stretched when he is doing a endoscopy... staying away from grease food which you should do with PSC.. I live on pasta, cereal -eggs-breads...But sometimes i eat stuff I shouldn't & I pay the price...with heartburn and my liver... I am severely constipated & take medicine for it..and if I don't poop the H/Burn gets worst....Eat slow. don't use a straw..cut down on gum chewing with these you are sucking in air... Jeanne PSC U/C stage4 jmhette2 wrote: In response to my other post a few people have told me that trying nexium has helped them (or their family member). So I am wondering if an endoscopy would show heartburn or reflux or whatever? Is Nexium a prescription? I'm just wondering since my egd showed nothign maybe I have heartburn or whatever and it's just not that bad????PBC PSC My gallbladder is

removed. Jeanne

Guest guest

I am going to thank you for sharing this. I have PSC, but I also have Celiac's disease, which definately constricts my eating. I can't do any wheat, barley, malt etc. BUT I do find on days when I have pain or feel blah, that plain white rice does help, and after reading this, I undersand why. I take fiber everynight and stool softners so that I am no miserable the next day, and sometimes I still am. Everything has an affect of this, and I am learning through trial and error what to stay away from. My major complaint is the pain in the upper part, kinda under my ribs on the right hand side. I do take my URSO, not sure if it is enough, but I am faithful to my URSO, but sometimes nothing is enough. I feel for you, and thank you for sharing your info. It really helps. b-jeanne

wrote: I have had heartburn most of my life. I have tried O/C stuff and my Liver Dr. gave me all kind of samples. Nothing helped..What I found work for me is having my throat stretched when he is doing a endoscopy... staying away from grease food which you should do with PSC.. I live on pasta, cereal -eggs-breads...But sometimes i eat stuff I

shouldn't & I pay the price...with heartburn and my liver... I am severely constipated & take medicine for it..and if I don't poop the H/Burn gets worst....Eat slow. don't use a straw..cut down on gum chewing with these you are sucking in air... Jeanne PSC U/C stage4 jmhette2 <jmhette2 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> wrote: In response to my other post a few people have told me that trying nexium has helped them (or their family member). So I am wondering if an endoscopy would show heartburn or reflux or whatever? Is Nexium a

prescription? I'm just wondering since my egd showed nothign maybe I have heartburn or whatever and it's just not that bad????PBC PSC My gallbladder is removed. Jeanne

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Guest guest

I am going to thank you for sharing this. I have PSC, but I also have Celiac's disease, which definately constricts my eating. I can't do any wheat, barley, malt etc. BUT I do find on days when I have pain or feel blah, that plain white rice does help, and after reading this, I undersand why. I take fiber everynight and stool softners so that I am no miserable the next day, and sometimes I still am. Everything has an affect of this, and I am learning through trial and error what to stay away from. My major complaint is the pain in the upper part, kinda under my ribs on the right hand side. I do take my URSO, not sure if it is enough, but I am faithful to my URSO, but sometimes nothing is enough. I feel for you, and thank you for sharing your info. It really helps. b-jeanne

wrote: I have had heartburn most of my life. I have tried O/C stuff and my Liver Dr. gave me all kind of samples. Nothing helped..What I found work for me is having my throat stretched when he is doing a endoscopy... staying away from grease food which you should do with PSC.. I live on pasta, cereal -eggs-breads...But sometimes i eat stuff I

shouldn't & I pay the price...with heartburn and my liver... I am severely constipated & take medicine for it..and if I don't poop the H/Burn gets worst....Eat slow. don't use a straw..cut down on gum chewing with these you are sucking in air... Jeanne PSC U/C stage4 jmhette2 <jmhette2 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> wrote: In response to my other post a few people have told me that trying nexium has helped them (or their family member). So I am wondering if an endoscopy would show heartburn or reflux or whatever? Is Nexium a

prescription? I'm just wondering since my egd showed nothign maybe I have heartburn or whatever and it's just not that bad????PBC PSC My gallbladder is removed. Jeanne

Guest guest

Guest guest

Like I said I am very constipated...I have tried everything to poop. it can be 5 days without one then your hurting and sick....My mom had the same problem...My Dr at the (U of Michigan)...says he wants me to poop every time I pee LOL...I found something now that works great for me is MiraLax I take it everyday sometimes twice a day (if needed).. you can buy it O/C...I found Walmart the cheapest.. You can go to Miralax website & print off a $2.00 coupon...Or ask your Dr.for free samples to see if it works for you... Your colon rules your body...if it isn't a happy colon (nothing is happy) sorry for being so blunt on this

email. I still have 8 bottles of generic Lactulose unopened..if anybody wants them... Jeanne Hanley wrote: I am going to thank you for sharing this. I have PSC, but I also have Celiac's disease, which definately constricts my eating. I can't do any wheat, barley, malt etc. BUT I do find on days when I have pain or feel blah, that plain white rice does

help, and after reading this, I undersand why. I take fiber everynight and stool softners so that I am no miserable the next day, and sometimes I still am. Everything has an affect of this, and I am learning through trial and error what to stay away from. My major complaint is the pain in the upper part, kinda under my ribs on the right hand side. I do take my URSO, not sure if it is enough, but I am faithful to my URSO, but sometimes nothing is enough. I feel for you, and thank you for sharing your info. It really helps. b-jeanne <jeanne2113 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> wrote: I have had heartburn most of my life. I have tried O/C stuff and my Liver Dr.

gave me all kind of samples. Nothing helped..What I found work for me is having my throat stretched when he is doing a endoscopy... staying away from grease food which you should do with PSC.. I live on pasta, cereal -eggs-breads...But sometimes i eat stuff I shouldn't & I pay the price...with heartburn and my liver... I am severely constipated & take medicine for it..and if I don't poop the H/Burn gets worst....Eat slow. don't use a straw..cut down on gum chewing with these you are sucking in air... Jeanne PSC U/C stage4 jmhette2

<jmhette2 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> wrote: In response to my other post a few people have told me that trying nexium has helped them (or their family member). So I am wondering if an endoscopy would show heartburn or reflux or whatever? Is Nexium a prescription? I'm just wondering since my egd showed nothign maybe I have heartburn or whatever and it's just not that bad????PBC PSC My gallbladder is removed. Jeanne Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. Jeanne

Guest guest

Like I said I am very constipated...I have tried everything to poop. it can be 5 days without one then your hurting and sick....My mom had the same problem...My Dr at the (U of Michigan)...says he wants me to poop every time I pee LOL...I found something now that works great for me is MiraLax I take it everyday sometimes twice a day (if needed).. you can buy it O/C...I found Walmart the cheapest.. You can go to Miralax website & print off a $2.00 coupon...Or ask your Dr.for free samples to see if it works for you... Your colon rules your body...if it isn't a happy colon (nothing is happy) sorry for being so blunt on this

email. I still have 8 bottles of generic Lactulose unopened..if anybody wants them... Jeanne Hanley wrote: I am going to thank you for sharing this. I have PSC, but I also have Celiac's disease, which definately constricts my eating. I can't do any wheat, barley, malt etc. BUT I do find on days when I have pain or feel blah, that plain white rice does

help, and after reading this, I undersand why. I take fiber everynight and stool softners so that I am no miserable the next day, and sometimes I still am. Everything has an affect of this, and I am learning through trial and error what to stay away from. My major complaint is the pain in the upper part, kinda under my ribs on the right hand side. I do take my URSO, not sure if it is enough, but I am faithful to my URSO, but sometimes nothing is enough. I feel for you, and thank you for sharing your info. It really helps. b-jeanne <jeanne2113 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> wrote: I have had heartburn most of my life. I have tried O/C stuff and my Liver Dr.

gave me all kind of samples. Nothing helped..What I found work for me is having my throat stretched when he is doing a endoscopy... staying away from grease food which you should do with PSC.. I live on pasta, cereal -eggs-breads...But sometimes i eat stuff I shouldn't & I pay the price...with heartburn and my liver... I am severely constipated & take medicine for it..and if I don't poop the H/Burn gets worst....Eat slow. don't use a straw..cut down on gum chewing with these you are sucking in air... Jeanne PSC U/C stage4 jmhette2

<jmhette2 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> wrote: In response to my other post a few people have told me that trying nexium has helped them (or their family member). So I am wondering if an endoscopy would show heartburn or reflux or whatever? Is Nexium a prescription? I'm just wondering since my egd showed nothign maybe I have heartburn or whatever and it's just not that bad????PBC PSC My gallbladder is removed. Jeanne Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage. Jeanne

Guest guest

Hi ;

EGD is one of the tests that can be done to look for reflux disease,

but it's not 100% certain that they will find it with this test:

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/inside.asp?AID=1120&UID=

" Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) is the best way to evaluate suspected

complications of GERD, but endoscopic findings are insensitive for the

presence of pathological reflux, and therefore they cannot reliably

exclude GERD. The " gold standard " study for confirming or excluding the

presence of abnormal gastroesophageal reflux is the 24-hour ambulatory

esophageal pH monitoring test, and this study should be used for the

evaluation of refractory symptoms and extraesophageal manifestations of

GERD. "

Best regards,

Dave

(father of (22); PSC 07/03; UC 08/03)

Guest guest

Hi ;

GERD. "

Best regards,

Dave

Guest guest

Hi ;

GERD. "

Best regards,

Dave

Guest guest

Jeanne -

Excellent advice - as an NP, I encourage anyone with reflux to avoid what bothers them, which often includes fatty, spicy, caffeinated, carbonated, and sometimes milk, tomato based products, citrus and mint... onions too. Your comments are great. I like the slow, no straw, no gum - I'll include that too.

- often the cause of the abdominal pain can't be identified by testing. If a trial of one of the meds for reflux helps, then it is worth taking the medication (all are prescription, except omprazole/Prilosec).

Joanne H

(, Ca)

-----Original Message-----From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of jeanneSent: Friday, March 14, 2008 8:21 AMTo: Subject: Re: Would an EGD show reflux?

I have had heartburn most of my life. I have tried O/C stuff and my Liver

Dr. gave me all kind of samples. Nothing helped..What I found work for me

is having my throat stretched when he is doing a endoscopy...

staying away from grease food which you should do with PSC..

I live on pasta, cereal -eggs-breads...But sometimes i eat stuff I shouldn't

& I pay the price...with heartburn and my liver...

I am severely constipated & take medicine for it..and if I don't poop the H/Burn

gets worst....Eat slow. don't use a straw..cut down on gum chewing with these

you are sucking in air...

Jeanne

PSC U/C

stage4

jmhette2 <jmhette2 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> wrote:

In response to my other post a few people have told me that trying nexium has helped them (or their family member). So I am wondering if an endoscopy would show heartburn or reflux or whatever? Is Nexium a prescription? I'm just wondering since my egd showed nothign maybe I have heartburn or whatever and it's just not that bad????PBC PSC My gallbladder is removed. Jeanne

Guest guest

Jeanne -

Excellent advice - as an NP, I encourage anyone with reflux to avoid what bothers them, which often includes fatty, spicy, caffeinated, carbonated, and sometimes milk, tomato based products, citrus and mint... onions too. Your comments are great. I like the slow, no straw, no gum - I'll include that too.

- often the cause of the abdominal pain can't be identified by testing. If a trial of one of the meds for reflux helps, then it is worth taking the medication (all are prescription, except omprazole/Prilosec).

Joanne H

(, Ca)

-----Original Message-----From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of jeanneSent: Friday, March 14, 2008 8:21 AMTo: Subject: Re: Would an EGD show reflux?

I am severely constipated & take medicine for it..and if I don't poop the H/Burn

Jeanne

PSC U/C

stage4

In response to my other post a few people have told me that trying nexium has helped them (or their family member). So I am wondering if an endoscopy would show heartburn or reflux or whatever? Is Nexium a prescription? I'm just wondering since my egd showed nothign maybe I have heartburn or whatever and it's just not that bad????PBC PSC My gallbladder is removed. Jeanne

Guest guest

Jeanne -

Joanne H

(, Ca)

Jeanne

PSC U/C

stage4

Guest guest

Our whole family- me, hubby all three kids have major reflux problems-

all three kids have had nissens (fundoplication surgery) for it because

it is so bad. The best thing we have tried is prevacid -the solutabs

work much better in my opinion than the pevacid pills.

Lori

>

> In response to my other post a few people have told me that trying

> nexium has helped them (or their family member). So I am wondering

if

> an endoscopy would show heartburn or reflux or whatever? Is Nexium a

> prescription? I'm just wondering since my egd showed nothign maybe I

> have heartburn or whatever and it's just not that bad????

>

>

> PBC PSC

> My gallbladder is removed.

>