RemedySpot.com

RE: Re: Six month checkup results

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Arne,

Is mag citrate the stuff they were talking about in this article quoted by Barb?

"

New bowel prep drink easier to take: study

URL of this page: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_64422.html (*this news item will not be available after

06/08/2008)

Friday, May 9, 2008

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A new 2 liter bowel cleansing solution for colonoscopy appears to work as well as the standard 4

liter solution and is more acceptable to patients, researchers report.

Unlike the standard solution, the new solution contains ascorbic acid. The addition of ascorbic acid not only improves the taste, it

also reduces the effective volume of solution needed for adequate gut cleansing, Dr. Christian Ell, from Dr. Horst Schmidt

Kliniken, Wiesbaden, Germany and colleagues report in the American Journal of Gastroenterology.

They tested the safety, efficacy and acceptability of the 2 liter polyethylene glycol plus ascorbic acid solution (PEG+Asc;

Moviprep, Norgine, Harefield UK) with that of the standard 4 liter PEG plus electrolytes solution (PEG+E; Klean-Prep, also from

Norgine) for bowel cleansing before colonoscopy.

Both groups drank half of their assigned solution in the evening before the colonoscopy and the other half early in the morning of

the procedure.

The new 2 liter solution was as effective as the 4 liter solution and was significantly more acceptable to patients, Ell and

colleagues report.

Patients who drank the 2 liter solution reported significantly less nausea and abdominal pain than those who drank the standard 4

liter solution.

Patients were also asked about the acceptability and taste of the cleansing agent and rated the 2 liter solution significantly better

than the 4 liter solution on both counts, the investigators report.

Adequate bowel preparation is one of the most difficult aspects of colonoscopy. Many people have difficulty consuming the large

volumes (3 to 4 liters) of fluid required to cleanse the gut before the procedure. Investigators are hopeful the new low-volume

solution will improve patient compliance and tolerability.

SOURCE: American Journal of Gastroenterology, April 2008. "

Arne -- I agree with Joanne on the mag citrate. It is thorough, but rough stuff and I don't think I would want to get in the car so soon after taking it. I've taken Visicol the last few times -- it is about 20 horse pills, but anything to avoid drinking those awful tasting preps.

Colleen -- Ian Cribb former P.Eng. (resigned in good standing)

Guest guest

Arne,

Is mag citrate the stuff they were talking about in this article quoted by Barb?

"

URL of this page: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_64422.html (*this news item will not be available after

06/08/2008)

Friday, May 9, 2008

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A new 2 liter bowel cleansing solution for colonoscopy appears to work as well as the standard 4

Unlike the standard solution, the new solution contains ascorbic acid. The addition of ascorbic acid not only improves the taste, it

also reduces the effective volume of solution needed for adequate gut cleansing, Dr. Christian Ell, from Dr. Horst Schmidt

Kliniken, Wiesbaden, Germany and colleagues report in the American Journal of Gastroenterology.

They tested the safety, efficacy and acceptability of the 2 liter polyethylene glycol plus ascorbic acid solution (PEG+Asc;

Moviprep, Norgine, Harefield UK) with that of the standard 4 liter PEG plus electrolytes solution (PEG+E; Klean-Prep, also from

Both groups drank half of their assigned solution in the evening before the colonoscopy and the other half early in the morning of

the procedure.

The new 2 liter solution was as effective as the 4 liter solution and was significantly more acceptable to patients, Ell and

colleagues report.

Patients who drank the 2 liter solution reported significantly less nausea and abdominal pain than those who drank the standard 4

liter solution.

Patients were also asked about the acceptability and taste of the cleansing agent and rated the 2 liter solution significantly better

Adequate bowel preparation is one of the most difficult aspects of colonoscopy. Many people have difficulty consuming the large

volumes (3 to 4 liters) of fluid required to cleanse the gut before the procedure. Investigators are hopeful the new low-volume

Arne -- I agree with Joanne on the mag citrate. It is thorough, but rough stuff and I don't think I would want to get in the car so soon after taking it. I've taken Visicol the last few times -- it is about 20 horse pills, but anything to avoid drinking those awful tasting preps.

Guest guest

Arne,

"

06/08/2008)

Friday, May 9, 2008

the procedure.

colleagues report.

liter solution.

Guest guest

I don't think so - this one's only 10 oz. See

http://www.medicexchange.com/mall/departmentpage.cfm/MedicExchangeUSA/_81694/4484/departments-contentview

Arne

57 - UC 1977 - PSC 2000

Alive and well in Minnesota

Arne,

"

URL of this page:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_64422.html

Guest guest

I don't think so - this one's only 10 oz. See

http://www.medicexchange.com/mall/departmentpage.cfm/MedicExchangeUSA/_81694/4484/departments-contentview

Arne

57 - UC 1977 - PSC 2000

Alive and well in Minnesota

Arne,

"

URL of this page:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_64422.html

Guest guest

Arne may have replied and I missed it, but magnesium citrate is different - a small 6 ounce bottle of lemon-lime or cherry dynamite!

Joanne H

(, Ca., mom of , 17, UC/PSC 2-06)

Arne,

" New bowel prep drink easier to take: study