> I have a question, I did NOT have UC, but as I read through

emails I notice that the UC dates sometime proceed the PSC, does this

mean that PSC can cause UC? Should I worry that I too will

inevitably get UC?

>

Hi

Good question.

I am in my mid 50, my two sibling also in their 50s have colitis

diagnosed in their 30s, but I don't, but I have PSC.

I have had 2 colonoscopies to check, but no sign of any inflammatory

bowel disease (I was told I had a very nice bowel!!). All the doctor

said was to let him know if I started to have the symptoms of UC.

I was talking to an Australian (New Zealand's large neighbour)

Gastroenterologist in a social situation. We discussed PSC and he

said 'of course you will have an inflammatory bowel disease' when I

said I had been checked and no I didn't. He said he would be

surprised if I didn't. I was so startled by his statement and I

should have asked what other tests I should have, but didn't.

I don't know whether this answer helps.

I don't think PSC caused UC, its just part of the same syndrome.

I will look forward to reading other replies to your question

Best wishes from at the bottom of the world in New Zealand

Guest guest

Hi ;

I think this study addresses your question:

Broomé U, Löfberg R, Lundqvist K, Veress B (1995) Subclinical time

span of inflammatory bowel disease in patients with primary

sclerosing cholangitis. Dis. Colon Rectum 38: 1301-1305.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7497843

" CONCLUSIONS: In patients with PSC, histologic signs of IBD,

including premalignant changes, may precede development of clinical

symptoms of IBD by as much as seven years. This indicates that IBD

onset may have a substantial subclinical phase of IBD far longer than

previously appreciated. This finding may be of clinical importance

because underestimation of disease duration may delay inclusion of

PSC patients with extensive colitis in colonoscopic surveillance

programs. The subclinical phase may also allow the studies of early

pathogenesis in vivo. "

Best regards,

Dave

(father of (22); PSC 07/03; UC 08/03)

Guest guest

Hi ;

I think this study addresses your question:

Broomé U, Löfberg R, Lundqvist K, Veress B (1995) Subclinical time

span of inflammatory bowel disease in patients with primary

sclerosing cholangitis. Dis. Colon Rectum 38: 1301-1305.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7497843

" CONCLUSIONS: In patients with PSC, histologic signs of IBD,

including premalignant changes, may precede development of clinical

symptoms of IBD by as much as seven years. This indicates that IBD

onset may have a substantial subclinical phase of IBD far longer than

previously appreciated. This finding may be of clinical importance

because underestimation of disease duration may delay inclusion of

PSC patients with extensive colitis in colonoscopic surveillance

programs. The subclinical phase may also allow the studies of early

pathogenesis in vivo. "

Best regards,

Dave

(father of (22); PSC 07/03; UC 08/03)

Guest guest

> > I have a question, I did NOT have UC, but as I read through

> emails I notice that the UC dates sometime proceed the PSC, does this

> mean that PSC can cause UC? Should I worry that I too will

> inevitably get UC?

> >

I was diagnosised with UC when I was 20 years old, and had an internal

pouch made in 1982 (mine is an S-pouch as compared with most of the

newer pouches being J-pouches).

I turned 50 this year.

I have never had any liver issues except that I can't take statin meds

to try to lower my cholesterol. Every time I do my liver enzymes go out

of wack.

This March I actually wound up in the hospital with pancreatitis

(thanks Mom-my health history follows my Mom's). When they did my ERCP

they discovered many small stones and saw issues with my biliary ducts.

Well I just had my 2nd ERCP done yesterday (5/20) and they found more

small stones and diagnosised me with PSC. My GI stated that he felt the

scarring in my biliary ducts had probably been there since I had UC

almost 30 years ago.

From the information I have read is that 4% of people who have UC can

go on to develop PSC. And from my research there are many reason for

people to develop UC from unknown food allergies, possible chemical

exposures. Like PSC there is still not a definitive cause for UC-but

one of the major thoughts is that it is an auto-immune response to

something.

Just my 2 cents,

Beth B. Thornton,CO

Guest guest

, I too do not have UC. In the 80s I was dx with Irritable Bowel but after divorcing my first husband symptoms went away. I started eating salad, popcorn etc no problems. I had a colonoscopy in 2004 and was told I did not have IB.I think UC happens in alot of the cases of PSC but obviously not all cases.

Re: UC

> > I have a question, I did NOT have UC, but as I read through emails I notice that the UC dates sometime proceed the PSC, does this mean that PSC can cause UC? Should I worry that I too will inevitably get UC? > Hi Good question. I am in my mid 50, my two sibling also in their 50s have colitis diagnosed in their 30s, but I don't, but I have PSC.I have had 2 colonoscopies to check, but no sign of any inflammatory bowel disease (I was told I had a very nice bowel!!). All the doctor said was to let him know if I started to have the symptoms of UC.I was talking to an Australian (New Zealand's large neighbour) Gastroenterologist in a social situation. We

discussed PSC and he said 'of course you will have an inflammatory bowel disease' when I said I had been checked and no I didn't. He said he would be surprised if I didn't. I was so startled by his statement and I should have asked what other tests I should have, but didn't.I don't know whether this answer helps.I don't think PSC caused UC, its just part of the same syndrome.I will look forward to reading other replies to your questionBest wishes from at the bottom of the world in New Zealand

Guest guest

, I too do not have UC. In the 80s I was dx with Irritable Bowel but after divorcing my first husband symptoms went away. I started eating salad, popcorn etc no problems. I had a colonoscopy in 2004 and was told I did not have IB.I think UC happens in alot of the cases of PSC but obviously not all cases.

Re: UC

> > I have a question, I did NOT have UC, but as I read through emails I notice that the UC dates sometime proceed the PSC, does this mean that PSC can cause UC? Should I worry that I too will inevitably get UC? > Hi Good question. I am in my mid 50, my two sibling also in their 50s have colitis diagnosed in their 30s, but I don't, but I have PSC.I have had 2 colonoscopies to check, but no sign of any inflammatory bowel disease (I was told I had a very nice bowel!!). All the doctor said was to let him know if I started to have the symptoms of UC.I was talking to an Australian (New Zealand's large neighbour) Gastroenterologist in a social situation. We

discussed PSC and he said 'of course you will have an inflammatory bowel disease' when I said I had been checked and no I didn't. He said he would be surprised if I didn't. I was so startled by his statement and I should have asked what other tests I should have, but didn't.I don't know whether this answer helps.I don't think PSC caused UC, its just part of the same syndrome.I will look forward to reading other replies to your questionBest wishes from at the bottom of the world in New Zealand

Guest guest

this is good to hear since I have a stomach ahce and pain all the time and this would not help. Not worrie about what I can't change. Thank you! pam brown wrote: , I too do not have UC. In the 80s I was dx with Irritable Bowel but after divorcing my first husband symptoms went away. I started eating salad, popcorn etc no problems. I had a colonoscopy in 2004 and was

told I did not have IB.I think UC happens in alot of the cases of PSC but obviously not all cases. Re: UC > > I have a question, I did NOT have UC, but as I read through emails I notice that the UC dates sometime proceed the PSC, does this mean that PSC can cause UC? Should I worry that I too will

inevitably get UC? > Hi Good question. I am in my mid 50, my two sibling also in their 50s have colitis diagnosed in their 30s, but I don't, but I have PSC.I have had 2 colonoscopies to check, but no sign of any inflammatory bowel disease (I was told I had a very nice bowel!!). All the doctor said was to let him know if I started to have the symptoms of UC.I was talking to an Australian (New Zealand's large neighbour) Gastroenterologist in a social situation. We discussed PSC and he said 'of course you will have an inflammatory bowel disease' when I said I had been checked and no I didn't. He said he would be surprised if I didn't. I was so startled by his statement and I should have asked what other tests I should have, but didn't.I don't know whether this answer helps.I don't think PSC caused UC, its just part of the same syndrome.I will look forward to reading other

replies to your questionBest wishes from at the bottom of the world in New Zealand

Guest guest

this is good to hear since I have a stomach ahce and pain all the time and this would not help. Not worrie about what I can't change. Thank you! pam brown wrote: , I too do not have UC. In the 80s I was dx with Irritable Bowel but after divorcing my first husband symptoms went away. I started eating salad, popcorn etc no problems. I had a colonoscopy in 2004 and was

told I did not have IB.I think UC happens in alot of the cases of PSC but obviously not all cases. Re: UC > > I have a question, I did NOT have UC, but as I read through emails I notice that the UC dates sometime proceed the PSC, does this mean that PSC can cause UC? Should I worry that I too will

inevitably get UC? > Hi Good question. I am in my mid 50, my two sibling also in their 50s have colitis diagnosed in their 30s, but I don't, but I have PSC.I have had 2 colonoscopies to check, but no sign of any inflammatory bowel disease (I was told I had a very nice bowel!!). All the doctor said was to let him know if I started to have the symptoms of UC.I was talking to an Australian (New Zealand's large neighbour) Gastroenterologist in a social situation. We discussed PSC and he said 'of course you will have an inflammatory bowel disease' when I said I had been checked and no I didn't. He said he would be surprised if I didn't. I was so startled by his statement and I should have asked what other tests I should have, but didn't.I don't know whether this answer helps.I don't think PSC caused UC, its just part of the same syndrome.I will look forward to reading other

replies to your questionBest wishes from at the bottom of the world in New Zealand

Guest guest

Guest guest

I am 59 female and NO UC or Chrones................I was just dx with PSC in March of this year and they even did a biopsy of my colon as they said it is pink and healthy as can be.....did find two small palops which they removed and they were fine....the reason for the biopsy of the colon was because they say that UC can hide behind healthy skin and all of a sudden decide to show it's ugly head.....they said I did not have any hiding there......I have had IBS all my life but that is it.....most Doctors say this should not have anything to do with PSC...

cj