Hi ee

I have a permanently tender area in my RUQ back area about the size

of a small fist, it feels like a bruise (yes, a strained muscle would

be a good description) and sometimes get a slight pain about the size

of a long finger going down from that area, not sure if that is

radiating pain. There has been discussions about this here - your

actual liver should not cause any pain, but it irritating nerves

around it would. I have said to my Dr about this and he said to let

him know if it got worse... which it hasn't.

When I was in hospital last year with a cholangitis attack I was

aware (when I got around to be aware of things like that) that my

back area was not any more tender than usual. All the pain was under

my breasts, like a massive heartburn attack.

Hope this helps

from the bottom of the world in New Zealand

.. But the tenderness (I

> wouldn't call it pain per se) seems to radiate into my back area,

> a tight muscle right behind the area. Does PSC pain/tenderness tend

to

> radiate like that for many of you?

>

> Thanks,

> ee

>

ee,

When I have URQ pain it always radiates to my back. Sometimes it's

not bad, like a pinch or so and at other times it is horrible and I

cannot walk or stand.

Dawn

.. Does PSC pain/tenderness tend to

>

> Thanks,

> ee

>

ee,

cannot walk or stand.

Dawn

.. Does PSC pain/tenderness tend to

>

> Thanks,

> ee

>

In my experience, this is a bad thing - always resulted in full blown cholangitis, accompanied by dark urine, pale stools, fever, ER visit, hospital admission, etc.

Arne

57 - UC 1977 - PSC 2000

Alive and well in Minnesota

ee,

cannot walk or stand.

Dawn

In my experience, this is a bad thing - always resulted in full blown cholangitis, accompanied by dark urine, pale stools, fever, ER visit, hospital admission, etc.

Arne

57 - UC 1977 - PSC 2000

ee,

cannot walk or stand.

Dawn

Arne

57 - UC 1977 - PSC 2000

ee,

cannot walk or stand.

Dawn

Dawn,

This is how i would describe my pain: horrible. The pain is there, about daily, these days. But it is so bad, every few days. And that is what i have been experiencing this evening - Very sharp and pinchy, radiating not only into my usual spots, right shoulder/back but the left parts, chest, and everywhere, even into my head! - It is starting to really scare me. I try very hard to tolerate without taking Codeine or Vicodeine. Only Tylenol, cautiously, of course. but it is too much to take. I was given Nortriptyline, but it does not provide help. Do you take anything? Thanks.

Can you possibly explain to me your doctor's theory of the irritated nerves? I know that i have heard that before, and it is not the liver, itself but i am not so sure that i do understand its mechanism of action, well. I would appreciate it.

Subject: Re: RUQ pain radiating?To: Date: Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 1:57 AM

ee,When I have URQ pain it always radiates to my back. Sometimes it's not bad, like a pinch or so and at other times it is horrible and I cannot walk or stand. Dawn . Does PSC pain/tenderness tend to> radiate like that for many of you?> > Thanks,> ee>

Dawn,

This is how i would describe my pain: horrible. The pain is there, about daily, these days. But it is so bad, every few days. And that is what i have been experiencing this evening - Very sharp and pinchy, radiating not only into my usual spots, right shoulder/back but the left parts, chest, and everywhere, even into my head! - It is starting to really scare me. I try very hard to tolerate without taking Codeine or Vicodeine. Only Tylenol, cautiously, of course. but it is too much to take. I was given Nortriptyline, but it does not provide help. Do you take anything? Thanks.

Can you possibly explain to me your doctor's theory of the irritated nerves? I know that i have heard that before, and it is not the liver, itself but i am not so sure that i do understand its mechanism of action, well. I would appreciate it.

Subject: Re: RUQ pain radiating?To: Date: Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 1:57 AM

ee,When I have URQ pain it always radiates to my back. Sometimes it's not bad, like a pinch or so and at other times it is horrible and I cannot walk or stand. Dawn . Does PSC pain/tenderness tend to> radiate like that for many of you?> > Thanks,> ee>

Dawn,

I am sorry your pain is so steady. I take a medicine called

Hycosamine when the pain begins to get bad or last more then 1

minute. If you wait to take any medicine until tha tpain gets bad

the medicine will not work. Most medicines take roguhly 45 minutes

to work due to the digestion process. Hycosamine is a sublingal;

however, and works pretty fast. I am allowed to take up to 2 doses

in a half hour. They make a long acting pill version of the

medication that we tried as a preventative, but it was too strong for

me. I have also found that taking opiates makes my pain worse, I

think it's because of how they can affect the intestine, many of them

can cause intestinal cramping. If I have needed a pain medicine I

can usually have success with Ultram, again this needs to be taken

before the pain gets really bad because it takes a while for it to

get throught the stomach and into the blood streas.

I hope they figure this out for you soon. Try drinking more water

also, When I increased my fluid intake I found the pain came less

often.

Dawn

- In , Dado wrote:

>

>

>

>

>

> Dawn,

>  

> This is how i would describe my pain: horrible. The pain is there,

about daily, these days. But it is so bad, every few days. And that

is what i have been experiencing this evening - Very sharp and

pinchy, radiating not only into my usual spots, right

shoulder/back but the left parts, chest, and everywhere, even into my

head! - It is starting to really scare me. I try very hard to

tolerate without taking Codeine or Vicodeine. Only Tylenol,

cautiously, of course. but it is too much to take. I was given

Nortriptyline, but it does not provide help. Do you take anything?

Thanks.

>

>

I am sorry your pain is so steady. I take a medicine called

Hycosamine when the pain begins to get bad or last more then 1

minute. If you wait to take any medicine until tha tpain gets bad

the medicine will not work. Most medicines take roguhly 45 minutes

to work due to the digestion process. Hycosamine is a sublingal;

however, and works pretty fast. I am allowed to take up to 2 doses

in a half hour. They make a long acting pill version of the

medication that we tried as a preventative, but it was too strong for

me. I have also found that taking opiates makes my pain worse, I

think it's because of how they can affect the intestine, many of them

can cause intestinal cramping. If I have needed a pain medicine I

can usually have success with Ultram, again this needs to be taken

before the pain gets really bad because it takes a while for it to

get throught the stomach and into the blood streas.

I hope they figure this out for you soon. Try drinking more water

also, When I increased my fluid intake I found the pain came less

often.

Dawn

- In , Dado wrote:

>

>

>

>

>

> Dawn,

>  

> This is how i would describe my pain: horrible. The pain is there,

about daily, these days. But it is so bad, every few days. And that

is what i have been experiencing this evening - Very sharp and

pinchy, radiating not only into my usual spots, right

shoulder/back but the left parts, chest, and everywhere, even into my

head! - It is starting to really scare me. I try very hard to

tolerate without taking Codeine or Vicodeine. Only Tylenol,

cautiously, of course. but it is too much to take. I was given

Nortriptyline, but it does not provide help. Do you take anything?

Thanks.

>

>

I know we have many conditions that cause pain. Last winter I was in such pain I went to the ER and was admitted. After multiple test, the docs didn't find a reason and during a bedside conference a young intern suggested that it could be myo-skeletal. When I went home I saw my chiropractor and after two adjustments the pain was gone.

Take care

MizKit

Find phone numbers fast with the New AOL Yellow Pages!

I know we have many conditions that cause pain. Last winter I was in such pain I went to the ER and was admitted. After multiple test, the docs didn't find a reason and during a bedside conference a young intern suggested that it could be myo-skeletal. When I went home I saw my chiropractor and after two adjustments the pain was gone.

Take care

MizKit

Thank you, Dawn.

I was prescribed Hycosamine, for abdominal pain. And i just took one actually, when you mentioned it. But when the URQ pain is high, it does not seem to help, much. It might be because i do wait until it gets bad and then take the medicine. You do have a very good point, here. My Hycosamine dose, is one every 4hrs. May be because originally it was given for abdominal pain/irritation. I will check with my doctor. You probably did check the side effects vs the liver. You did mention, Ultram. I am going to look into that. I think i have mentioned, Nortriptyline. That suppose to be taken daily, and my doctor like it. But when the pain is bad and intense, it does not seem to work. I have also increased my water intake, but more is better, as you did mention.

I was trying hard not to go to the ER., last night. This is not good. My quality of life has really went down, in addition to the sometimes, ithching,-----etc. They should be able to provide a more efficient treatment to what i am going thru, than that.

I do appreciate your help. I hope that you don't have to go thru those episodes of pain. Take care.

>> > > > > Dawn,> > This is how i would describe my pain: horrible. The pain is there, about daily, these days. But it is so bad, every few days. And that is what i have been experiencing this evening - Very sharp and pinchy, radiating not only into my usual spots, right shoulder/back but the left parts, chest, and everywhere, even into my head! - It is starting to really scare me. I try very hard to tolerate without taking Codeine or Vicodeine. Only Tylenol, cautiously, of course. but it is

too much to take. I was given Nortriptyline, but it does not provide help. Do you take anything? Thanks.> >

Thank you, Dawn.

I was prescribed Hycosamine, for abdominal pain. And i just took one actually, when you mentioned it. But when the URQ pain is high, it does not seem to help, much. It might be because i do wait until it gets bad and then take the medicine. You do have a very good point, here. My Hycosamine dose, is one every 4hrs. May be because originally it was given for abdominal pain/irritation. I will check with my doctor. You probably did check the side effects vs the liver. You did mention, Ultram. I am going to look into that. I think i have mentioned, Nortriptyline. That suppose to be taken daily, and my doctor like it. But when the pain is bad and intense, it does not seem to work. I have also increased my water intake, but more is better, as you did mention.

I was trying hard not to go to the ER., last night. This is not good. My quality of life has really went down, in addition to the sometimes, ithching,-----etc. They should be able to provide a more efficient treatment to what i am going thru, than that.

I do appreciate your help. I hope that you don't have to go thru those episodes of pain. Take care.

>> > > > > Dawn,> > This is how i would describe my pain: horrible. The pain is there, about daily, these days. But it is so bad, every few days. And that is what i have been experiencing this evening - Very sharp and pinchy, radiating not only into my usual spots, right shoulder/back but the left parts, chest, and everywhere, even into my head! - It is starting to really scare me. I try very hard to tolerate without taking Codeine or Vicodeine. Only Tylenol, cautiously, of course. but it is

too much to take. I was given Nortriptyline, but it does not provide help. Do you take anything? Thanks.> >

MitKit,

That is very interesting, specially that a young intern was able to figure that out. I am happy for you. Sometimes, when my high grade pain, go out of hand and start crawling everywhere, i would get puzzled and wonder if something else is the culprit. But because the pain did originate in the right upper quadrant part, and after some time, it started to radiate into my right shoulder/back [PSC typical pain], then myself and my doctor has always attributed it to PSC. He also has suggested that my UC and IBD, has probably been doing their fair share in increasing the pain. May be i should have him consider other possible sources, too.

Thanks for sharing. Take care.

Subject: Re: Re: RUQ pain radiating?To: Date: Friday, September 26, 2008, 5:05 PM

I know we have many conditions that cause pain. Last winter I was in such pain I went to the ER and was admitted. After multiple test, the docs didn't find a reason and during a bedside conference a young intern suggested that it could be myo-skeletal. When I went home I saw my chiropractor and after two adjustments the pain was gone.Take careMizKit

MitKit,

That is very interesting, specially that a young intern was able to figure that out. I am happy for you. Sometimes, when my high grade pain, go out of hand and start crawling everywhere, i would get puzzled and wonder if something else is the culprit. But because the pain did originate in the right upper quadrant part, and after some time, it started to radiate into my right shoulder/back [PSC typical pain], then myself and my doctor has always attributed it to PSC. He also has suggested that my UC and IBD, has probably been doing their fair share in increasing the pain. May be i should have him consider other possible sources, too.

Subject: Re: Re: RUQ pain radiating?To: Date: Friday, September 26, 2008, 5:05 PM

I know we have many conditions that cause pain. Last winter I was in such pain I went to the ER and was admitted. After multiple test, the docs didn't find a reason and during a bedside conference a young intern suggested that it could be myo-skeletal. When I went home I saw my chiropractor and after two adjustments the pain was gone.Take careMizKit

MitKit,

Hang in there. Please take the medicine early so that it can work

for you. Go to the ER if you need to as the pain could be soemthing

else. I hope you feel better soon.

Dawn

In , Dado wrote:

>

>

>

>

> Thank you, Dawn.

>  

> I was prescribed Hycosamine, for abdominal pain. And i just took

one actually, when you mentioned it. But when the URQ pain is high,

it does not seem to help, much.  It might be because i do wait until

it gets bad and then take the medicine. You do have a very good

point, here. My Hycosamine dose, is one every 4hrs. May be because

originally it was given for abdominal pain/irritation. I will check

with my doctor. You probably did check the side effects vs the liver.

You did mention, Ultram. I am going to look into that. I think i have

mentioned, Nortriptyline. That suppose to be taken daily, and my

doctor like it. But when the pain is bad and intense, it does not

seem to work. I have also increased my water intake, but more

is better, as you did mention. 

>  

> I was trying hard not to go to the ER., last night. This is not

good. My quality of life has really went down, in addition to the

sometimes, ithching,-----etc. They should be able to provide a more

efficient treatment to what i am going thru, than that.

>  

> I do appreciate your help. I hope that you don't have to go thru

those episodes of pain. Take care.

>  

>  

>  

>  

>

>

>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Dawn,

> >  

> > This is how i would describe my pain: horrible. The pain is

there,

> about daily, these days. But it is so bad, every few days. And that

> is what i have been experiencing this evening - Very sharp and

> pinchy, radiating not only into my usual spots, right

> shoulder/back  but the left parts, chest, and everywhere, even into

my

> head! - It is starting to really scare me. I try very hard to

> tolerate without taking Codeine or Vicodeine. Only Tylenol,

> cautiously, of course. but it is too much to take. I was given

> Nortriptyline, but it does not provide help. Do you take anything?

> Thanks.

> >

> >

>

Hi Sara

My Doctor had no comment on the pain, apart from telling me to get

back to him if it got worse.

There was a discussion on this board about liver pain a couple of

years ago. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong, We discussed that

your actual liver has no nerves and therefore should not cause you

any pain.

I do know with having a liver biopsy, no anaesthetic - which was not

painful at all, just a very strange feeling...I was able to see on

the screen the magnified needle sucking a piece of liver out...I

think if the same needle had been put into a muscle without any

anaesthetic I would have been screaming in pain!!

Sorry I can't be of more help

> ,

>  

> Can you possibly explain to me your doctor's theory of the

irritated nerves? I know that i have heard that before, and it is not

the liver, itself but i am not so sure that i do understand its

mechanism of action, well. I would appreciate it.

>

Hi Sara

any pain.

> ,

>  

>

Hi Sara

any pain.

> ,

>  

>

I believe it's the membrane around the liver that has nerves and that causes pain. If the liver changes size, the nerves in the membrane respond with pain.Marie

To: From: grahammilligan@...Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:02:14 +0000Subject: Re: RUQ pain radiating?

Hi Sara

any pain.

> ,

>

> Can you possibly explain to me your doctor's theory of the

irritated nerves? I know that i have heard that before, and it is not

the liver, itself but i am not so sure that i do understand its

mechanism of action, well. I would appreciate it.

>

See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life. See Now

I believe it's the membrane around the liver that has nerves and that causes pain. If the liver changes size, the nerves in the membrane respond with pain.Marie

To: From: grahammilligan@...Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:02:14 +0000Subject: Re: RUQ pain radiating?

Hi Sara

any pain.

> ,

>

> Can you possibly explain to me your doctor's theory of the

irritated nerves? I know that i have heard that before, and it is not

the liver, itself but i am not so sure that i do understand its

mechanism of action, well. I would appreciate it.

>

See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life. See Now