RemedySpot.com

Re: Yellow Fever Vaccine

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Darcy,

Not sure but I would no doubt check with your doctor.

Yellow Fever vaccine: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-yf.pdf

More info: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs100/en/

More info: http://www.yellowfever.com.au/vaccine.html

I think your are right, it is live. http://www.who.int/vaccines/en/yellowfever.shtml#perspective

Lori A.

"Aggressively Pursuing Solutions To Your Real Estate Needs!"

First Weber Group

Cell:

1507 E. Sunset Drive

Waukesha, WI 53189

LoriUSA@...

www.Lori.FirstWeber.com

Yellow Fever Vaccine

Hi All,I'm leaving for Peru in @6 weeks and have a question. Has anyone gotten a yellow fever vaccine? I'm going to be on the fringes of the yellow fever endemic zone but not directly in it. The tour group I'm going with has said the vaccine is optional. I'm not sure if I should opt for it or not. I know yellow fever is carried by mosquitos and I'm going to spend sometime rafting but I won't be in the jungle. I also think that it is a live vaccine but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks,DarcyPSC 03/07

Guest guest

Arne, What's the reason to avoid the red areas with UC and what are

examples of the red areas?

Arne wrote:

with UC, I'm not likely to

visit any third world countries. There's a world map in my GI's office

- I'm supposed to avoid the "red" areas.

_,_._,___

Guest guest

The reason was the likelihood of contaminated water, foodstuffs, etc., which obviously can exacerbate UC. The map comes (I think) from this CDC site (Travelers Diarrhea = giardiasis, for the most part):http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yellowBookCh4-Diarrhea.aspx

My apologies to those countries in red/yellow. I'm sorry, I'm not willing to risk it at this time - lots of other places I haven't been yet.Here's some more travel tip sites, with a little different viewpoint:http://www.ccfa.org/living/travelhttp://www.ccfc.ca/English/info/brochures/Travel_with_IBD_E.pdf

Arne 57 - UC 1977 - PSC 2000 Alive and well in Minnesota

________________________________From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Mike ZArne, What's the reason to avoid the red areas with UC and what are examples of the red areas?Arne wrote: with UC, I'm not likely to visit any third world countries. There's a world map in my GI's office - I'm supposed to avoid the "red" areas.

Guest guest

No UC/Crohn's here just PSC and rheumatoid arthritis. I did like the colorful map unfortunately for my husband most of the places on my go see list is in the red. He's a picky eater and worries about gastro issues for himself although he had nothing wrong with him. It took a tanking dollar and the strong euro to convince him to go to Peru. It was a better deal in the eyes of my accountant hubby.

I did purchase travel insurance and I have DAN (Divers Alert Network - we scuba dive)insurance as well that will find appropriate medical care if you have any health issues while traveling. I know the bacteria and parasites are going to be a new experience for my gut but I'm pretty clutsy so I think my biggest problem will be not getting caught up in the sites and toppling over the edge of a mountain.

My dr. already gave me an extra cipro prescription - definitely will ask for the xifaxan too. Thanks for the info. Just was worried about the vaccine I know there's lots of talk on the site about flu shots in the winter so I figured I would ask if anyone here has gotten it or had any problems with it.

Thanks,

Darcy

I don't think you've ever stated if you have UC/Crohn's/IBD, but if you do, yellow fever may be the least of your worries. No offense to Peru (my brother and niece climbed Macho Picchu), but with UC, I'm not likely to visit any third world countries. There's a world map in my GI's office - I'm supposed to avoid the "red" areas.

My advice – talk to your doctor about a prescription for “Xifaxan”, it’s an antibiotic and is said to lessen the chance of getting diarrhea.

Guest guest

No UC/Crohn's here just PSC and rheumatoid arthritis. I did like the colorful map unfortunately for my husband most of the places on my go see list is in the red. He's a picky eater and worries about gastro issues for himself although he had nothing wrong with him. It took a tanking dollar and the strong euro to convince him to go to Peru. It was a better deal in the eyes of my accountant hubby.

I did purchase travel insurance and I have DAN (Divers Alert Network - we scuba dive)insurance as well that will find appropriate medical care if you have any health issues while traveling. I know the bacteria and parasites are going to be a new experience for my gut but I'm pretty clutsy so I think my biggest problem will be not getting caught up in the sites and toppling over the edge of a mountain.

My dr. already gave me an extra cipro prescription - definitely will ask for the xifaxan too. Thanks for the info. Just was worried about the vaccine I know there's lots of talk on the site about flu shots in the winter so I figured I would ask if anyone here has gotten it or had any problems with it.

Thanks,

Darcy

I don't think you've ever stated if you have UC/Crohn's/IBD, but if you do, yellow fever may be the least of your worries. No offense to Peru (my brother and niece climbed Macho Picchu), but with UC, I'm not likely to visit any third world countries. There's a world map in my GI's office - I'm supposed to avoid the "red" areas.

My advice – talk to your doctor about a prescription for “Xifaxan”, it’s an antibiotic and is said to lessen the chance of getting diarrhea.

Guest guest

Hi Darcy,I've traveled all over the place, including Africa. I'm not sure if I've had the yellow fever vaccine, but I suspect I have. My feeling is that I'll take the vaccine any day over the risk of the illness. To me it's a no brainer - take the vaccine.Marie

I'm leaving for Peru in @6 weeks and have a question. Has anyone

gotten a yellow fever vaccine? I'm going to be on the fringes of the

yellow fever endemic zone but not directly in it. The tour group I'm

going with has said the vaccine is optional.

Reveal your inner athlete and share it with friends on Windows Live. Share now!

Guest guest

>

> We just discussed this with my sons GI. Hes on remicade so NO yellow

fever jab for him.It is a live vaccine.

Most countries who require by law that you have a yellow fever jab will

require a certificate when you get your visa. If they dont require it

by law then it is your choice.

, Brussels

son Dan UC/ PSC

Guest guest

Hi Darcy

I've traveled to Roatan, Honduras the last three years and took

anti-malaria pills as malaria is a risk there. I also got my Hep A/B

injection updated the first year I went so I'm good for a decade I

think. I took the travelers diarrhea meds the first two years but not

this past one but never had any recommendations for Yellow Fever vaccine.

To be honest, however, the biggest pest on Roatan and any of the other

Caribbean islands for that matter is the sand fly (more annoying than

black flies). On the plus side, the diving is spectacular and I got a

healthy dosage of vitamin-D via the sun ..... :)