RemedySpot.com

Re: Question about diet

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I had my son on Gotschall's diet and found a lot of the foods we needed at Whole Foods.It seemed to help but after a couple of weeks my son went and hit the fast food chains.He just couldn't stay on it. It was a 180 degree turn from his college diet.It is worth a try if you can stay with it.LeeIt seems to me that Elaine Gotschall's "specific carbohydrate diet" or Jordan Rubin's "Restoring your Digestive Health" or Dr.

Yes!!!! I keep a diet that my Chinese doctor prescribed and it really

helps control my UC symptoms (don't know about PSC as I don't have

symtpoms for that yet). It's a " no whites " diet in which you avoid

flour, dairy, and sugar. I don't even have whole wheat flour, even

though my Chinese doctor says it's ok to have in moderation. He also

says that if I _do_ have some kind of flour, it's better for it to be

toasted. Rice and potatoes are ok, so it's not a carb-free diet. Yogurt

and goat cheese are ok too. Coffee (even decaf) is not allowed, but

that's the one thing I cheat on. If sugar cravings get super bad, then

dark chocolate is ok.

When I first started this diet I had a migrane for a few days before of

the sugar withdrawal. Be prepared for this, it will go away. When I

started the diet about two years ago I was really strict about it, but

after about 6 months I got tired, so now I do a modified version, in

which I " cheat " in small quantities here and there. So I'll have

something sweet once a day, or a slice of pizza here and there. But

mostly I keep the diet.

It sounds restrictive, but there is actually a lot out there. I eat

oatmeal (sometimes sneak some brown sugar in it), some granola bars

(the kind that isn't too sweet), all meats (bias toward lean meats, but

you do need some fat in your diet), rice, potatoes, gluten free

bread/bagels/english muffins, goat cheese, yogurt cheese (Faje), smoked

salmon, eggs, soups, cooked veggies (raw are not recommended for UC),

gluten free pancakes (there is a great mix I use - Pamela's - which is

yummy and doesn't have any sugar added), gluten-free cereals like Rice

Crispies with soy milk... The list continues. If you are interested,

email me and I can send you more recommendations.

I really feel the differences. On days that I " cheat " I run to the

bathroom all night, whereas days when I'm " good " , I hardly go, and I

don't even have a colon!

Ruth

UC - 2000, Colectomy - 2007, PSC - 2008

>

> Have any of you discovered a diet that has helped you if you have

> ulcerative colitis and psc?

> It seems to me that Elaine Gotschall's " specific carbohydrate diet "

or

> Jordan Rubin's " Restoring your Digestive Health " or Dr.

> Matsen's " Eating Alive " all have similarities and some promise. Has

> anyone had experience with any of these?

>

Hope you don't mind me asking but This diet sound wonderful, can you email me more information. I have been looking for something to help the disease naturally.... no more meds. I have taken my self off of all dairy and most products that contain gluten.... but I knew there is more I can do, just didn't know where to get the info.

Thanks

JoAnne Wisdom, PSC - 2008

Email JoLeeWisdom9@...

Subject: Re: Question about dietTo: Date: Monday, September 15, 2008, 6:48 PM

Yes!!!! I keep a diet that my Chinese doctor prescribed and it really helps control my UC symptoms (don't know about PSC as I don't have symtpoms for that yet). It's a "no whites" diet in which you avoid flour, dairy, and sugar. I don't even have whole wheat flour, even though my Chinese doctor says it's ok to have in moderation. He also says that if I _do_ have some kind of flour, it's better for it to be toasted. Rice and potatoes are ok, so it's not a carb-free diet. Yogurt and goat cheese are ok too. Coffee (even decaf) is not allowed, but that's the one thing I cheat on. If sugar cravings get super bad, then dark chocolate is ok. When I first started this diet I had a migrane for a few days before of the sugar withdrawal. Be prepared for this, it will go away. When I started the diet about two years ago I was really strict about it, but after about 6 months I got tired, so now I do a

modified version, in which I "cheat" in small quantities here and there. So I'll have something sweet once a day, or a slice of pizza here and there. But mostly I keep the diet.It sounds restrictive, but there is actually a lot out there. I eat oatmeal (sometimes sneak some brown sugar in it), some granola bars (the kind that isn't too sweet), all meats (bias toward lean meats, but you do need some fat in your diet), rice, potatoes, gluten free bread/bagels/ english muffins, goat cheese, yogurt cheese (Faje), smoked salmon, eggs, soups, cooked veggies (raw are not recommended for UC), gluten free pancakes (there is a great mix I use - Pamela's - which is yummy and doesn't have any sugar added), gluten-free cereals like Rice Crispies with soy milk... The list continues. If you are interested, email me and I can send you more recommendations. I really feel the differences. On days that I

"cheat" I run to the bathroom all night, whereas days when I'm "good", I hardly go, and I don't even have a colon!RuthUC - 2000, Colectomy - 2007, PSC - 2008>> Have any of you discovered a diet that has helped you if you have > ulcerative colitis and psc?> It seems to me that Elaine Gotschall's "specific carbohydrate diet" or > Jordan Rubin's "Restoring your Digestive Health" or Dr. > Matsen's "Eating Alive" all have similarities and some promise. Has > anyone had experience with any of these?>

my Dr wants me to have a very low salt diet...

and a very low protein...Protein effects your ammonia level

I am working on being vegetarian I know even vegetable have protein

for the last 2 weeks i have been very sick. sleeping* hard time walking..when i did it was like

a drunk & I talk like I am drunk I cant remember what I was saying I go blank...

& i will not drive now.. I am very constipated I have taken and done everything..So

tomorrow I am seeing my Dr again & they are going to do a GAS ENEMA..

He wants all the stool & toxins out of me. To help my ammonia level

I have ENCEPHALOPATHY... Next week I go down to Baylor medical center in Dallas

for a week long evaluation...

thanks Jeanne

Subject: Re: Question about dietTo: @ yahoogroups. comDate: Monday, September 15, 2008, 6:48 PM

Yes!!!! I keep a diet that my Chinese doctor prescribed and it really helps control my UC symptoms (don't know about PSC as I don't have symtpoms for that yet). It's a "no whites" diet in which you avoid flour, dairy, and sugar. I don't even have whole wheat flour, even though my Chinese doctor says it's ok to have in moderation. He also says that if I _do_ have some kind of flour, it's better for it to be toasted. Rice and potatoes are ok, so it's not a carb-free diet. Yogurt and goat cheese are ok too. Coffee (even decaf) is not allowed, but that's the one thing I cheat on. If sugar cravings get super bad, then dark chocolate is ok. When I first started this diet I had a migrane for a few days before of the sugar withdrawal. Be prepared for this, it will go away. When I started the diet about two years ago I was really strict about it, but after about 6 months I got tired, so now I do a

modified version, in which I "cheat" in small quantities here and there. So I'll have something sweet once a day, or a slice of pizza here and there. But mostly I keep the diet.It sounds restrictive, but there is actually a lot out there. I eat oatmeal (sometimes sneak some brown sugar in it), some granola bars (the kind that isn't too sweet), all meats (bias toward lean meats, but you do need some fat in your diet), rice, potatoes, gluten free bread/bagels/ english muffins, goat cheese, yogurt cheese (Faje), smoked salmon, eggs, soups, cooked veggies (raw are not recommended for UC), gluten free pancakes (there is a great mix I use - Pamela's - which is yummy and doesn't have any sugar added), gluten-free cereals like Rice Crispies with soy milk... The list continues. If you are interested, email me and I can send you more recommendations. I really feel the differences. On days that I

"cheat" I run to the bathroom all night, whereas days when I'm "good", I hardly go, and I don't even have a colon!RuthUC - 2000, Colectomy - 2007, PSC - 2008>> Have any of you discovered a diet that has helped you if you have > ulcerative colitis and psc?> It seems to me that Elaine Gotschall's "specific carbohydrate diet" or > Jordan Rubin's "Restoring your Digestive Health" or Dr. > Matsen's "Eating Alive" all have similarities and some promise. Has > anyone had experience with any of these?>

my Dr wants me to have a very low salt diet...

and a very low protein...Protein effects your ammonia level

I am working on being vegetarian I know even vegetable have protein

for the last 2 weeks i have been very sick. sleeping* hard time walking..when i did it was like

a drunk & I talk like I am drunk I cant remember what I was saying I go blank...

& i will not drive now.. I am very constipated I have taken and done everything..So

tomorrow I am seeing my Dr again & they are going to do a GAS ENEMA..

He wants all the stool & toxins out of me. To help my ammonia level

I have ENCEPHALOPATHY... Next week I go down to Baylor medical center in Dallas

for a week long evaluation...

thanks Jeanne

Subject: Re: Question about dietTo: @ yahoogroups. comDate: Monday, September 15, 2008, 6:48 PM

• 4 weeks later...

Bobbi,

Best of luck and health to your husband (and you) going forward.

I wish I could say that I follow these books to the letter, and some advise is a little over-the-top, however I have found both " The Maker's Diet " and " Restoring Your Digestive Health " to be great resources. They focus on a more primitive diet - whole and fermented foods, essentially. Jordan Rubin authors both, but jointly with Dr. Brasco (a GI doc) on " Restoring " . Rubin suffered with Crohn's and is now treating himself strictly with diet and supplements, and as a result, has become successful with his company Garden of Life.

A great cookbook, in the same philosophy, is " Nourishing Traditions " by Sally Fallon.

Hope this helps!

Becky, mom to 7 y.o. Carson (UC/PSC, dx '08) and 4 y.o. Eva (Celiac dx '08)

Since we are getting closer to being listed, we want to do everything possible to make sure that my husband is as healthy as can be when the time comes. And honestly, my diet could use some major improvements as well. Anyone have any suggestions as far as things my

hubs should/should not be eating? They're also talking possible colectomy due to what we had always been told was Crohn's but we are now thinking (new GI dr) is ulcerative colitis. TIA!Bobbi