RemedySpot.com

Carolyn, Dave & - Re: Antibiotics in PSC patients

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thanks Carolyn, Dave & Arne! Great info. I will pass this on to my Dad. I am almost postitive that my Dads doctor told him to avoid antibiotics, I will find out if there is another reason. My Dad does not belong to the group, so I do in his place. He does not want to focus on the disease, it gets him depressed. I am glad everyone here is so friendly and is willing to take the time and type an email to help one another. I give my Dad all the positive information and things to look out for. Carolyn, that cat story made me laugh. I am sure it will be hard not to cuddle with you cat. Thanks again!

Dad PSC/1996

Lori A.

"Aggressively Pursuing Solutions To Your Real Estate Needs!"

First Weber Group

Cell:

1507 E. Sunset Drive

Waukesha, WI 53189

LoriUSA@...

www.Lori.FirstWeber.com

Re: Antibiotics in PSC patients

>> Thanks for that info. My Dad had a very serious sinus infection and was told antibiotics can worsen his psc condition and cause liver damage so he did not take it. Thankfully his body killed the infection after about 1 month or so. ============ =========Lori -- Let me "second" what has already said: Yes, PSC patients often take antibiotics, some of us even take them on a constant basis. gave rifampin as an example. Another example is Xifaxan (for hepatic encephalopathy) . I've been taking it daily for the last two years and it has been a miracle drug for us.My drs. have all emphasized to us that ANY infection can be dangerous in a PSC patient and

therefore, many (perhaps most?) of us keep antibiotics on hand at all times so that we can get started immediately in case of a bout of cholangitis, or whatever. Most of us don't have strong enough immune systems to battle simple infections and so the risk is that we can go septic more quickly than the average patient. (One of my drs. doesn't even want my cats to get on my lap anymore because of the risk of a scratch getting infected. I haven't told the cats yet that they are persona non grata! They think they can still walk all over me!!)I don't recall how advanced your Dad's PSC is, but personally I would be far more concerned about the risk of an infection than the wear and tear on the liver. Perhaps, though, your Dad has some other condition that would make antibiotics more of a problem for him. As you said, though .... thankfully the sinus infection ran its course and is now

healed.Regards,Carolyn B. in SC