RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Long-term Treatment of PSC in Kids/Oral Vancomycin: An Immunomodulating Antibiotic.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

PSCers are routinely treated with antibiotics, sometimes for cholangitis,

sometimes prophylactically (ERCP, dental work), and sometimes continuously

rotating between various types.

My personal experience has been antibiotics prior to each ERCP, for which two of

the three times I was septic (although it's been 7 years now).

Arne

> I thought PSC's could not take antibiotics.

Guest guest

PSCers are routinely treated with antibiotics, sometimes for cholangitis,

sometimes prophylactically (ERCP, dental work), and sometimes continuously

rotating between various types.

My personal experience has been antibiotics prior to each ERCP, for which two of

the three times I was septic (although it's been 7 years now).

Arne

> I thought PSC's could not take antibiotics.

Guest guest

Thanks for that info. My Dad had a very serious sinus infection and was told antibiotics can worsen his psc condition and cause liver damage so he did not take it. Thankfully his body killed the infection after about 1 month or so. I will pass that on to my Dad. I am sure there are some antibiotics that can be very bad for liver conditions or maybe not. Thanks again.

Lori A.

"Aggressively Pursuing Solutions To Your Real Estate Needs!"

First Weber Group

Cell:

1507 E. Sunset Drive

Waukesha, WI 53189

LoriUSA@...

www.Lori.FirstWeber.com

Re: Long-term Treatment of PSC in Kids/Oral Vancomycin: An Immunomodulating Antibiotic.

Hi Lori;I don't think this is true. For example, rifampin (rifampicin) is also an antibiotic and has been prescribed for my son to control pruritus. Rifampin is probably acting to increase the activity of a receptor called pregnane X receptor (PXR) (also known as the steroid and xenobiotic receptor (SXR)), which controls bile acid detoxification in the liver and xenobiotic detoxification in the gut. This is relevant because PXR has been implicated in both IBD and PSC susceptibility and progression, respectively:Dring MM, Goulding CA, Trimble VI, Keegan D, AW, Brophy KM, Smyth CM, Keeling PWN, O'Donoghue D, O'Sullivan M, O'Morain C, Mahmud N, Wikstrom AC, Kelleher D, McManus R 2006 The pregnane X receptor locus is associated with susceptibility to inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterology 130: 341-348.http://www.ncbi. nlm.nih.gov/ pubmed/16472590Karlsen TH, Lie BA, Frey Froslie K, Thorsby E, Broome U, Schrumpf E, Boberg KM 2006 Polymorphisms in the steroid and xenobiotic receptor gene influence survival in primary sclerosing cholangitis. Gastroenterology 131: 781-787.http://www.ncbi. nlm.nih.gov/ pubmed/16952547But the point is that rifampin is an "antibiotic" that is routinely prescribed for PSCers. Best regards,Dave (father of (23); PSC 07/03; UC 08/03)> I thought PSC's could not take antibiotics.