RemedySpot.com

blood work

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Arman,My son has had his colon removed and has a j pouch. His blood levels have consistently been slightly low.Prior to the surgery he needed to go in several times to get some units of blood.Even if you don't actually see blood in the stool, it could still be your colon.Since the surgery his crit runs about 37.5 [normal is at 40], his hemoglobin about 12.5 [normal is at 13.3]and his RBC count at about 4.19 [normal is at 4.40]LeeOn Jul 2, 2008, at 9:57 AM, Arman, Shirin & amp; Niki Hamraei wrote:Hi everyone, I have a question. I recently had blood work done and my blood counts were all low. I am getting two units of blood tomorrow. The last time I got blood was April of this year. I am not sure how I am losing this blood. I don't think it's my colon. My question is has anyone experinced blood lost and it was not related to losing it through their colon? Like bone marrow issue, kidney issues? Is there some type of test I can have my doctor do to show it's not my bone marrow or anything else? ThanksArman

Guest guest

Arman,I remember hearing of someone who had blood loss and the source was finally located when she mentioned a side pain she was having. She had an MRI or some other scan and then the source of the bleeding was found. Sorry I can't be more helpful. The hematocrit (part of a CBC test) can usually indicate a low level of blood cells (this is presented pretty much as a percentage of the volume of blood - you should have a hct of btwn 38-48, as I recall, although you can survive with a pretty low hct. A low hct (hematocrit) indicates a loss of blood.Marie

To: From: arman_shirin@...Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 06:57:21 -0700Subject: Blood work

Hi everyone,

I have a question. I recently had blood work done and my blood counts were all low. I am getting two units of blood tomorrow. The last time I got blood was April of this year. I am not sure how I am losing this blood. I don't think it's my colon. My question is has anyone experinced blood lost and it was not related to losing it through their colon? Like bone marrow issue, kidney issues? Is there some type of test I can have my doctor do to show it's not my bone marrow or anything else?

Thanks

Arman

arman_shirin (AT) yahoo (DOT) com

Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference. Learn more.

Guest guest

Arman,I remember hearing of someone who had blood loss and the source was finally located when she mentioned a side pain she was having. She had an MRI or some other scan and then the source of the bleeding was found. Sorry I can't be more helpful. The hematocrit (part of a CBC test) can usually indicate a low level of blood cells (this is presented pretty much as a percentage of the volume of blood - you should have a hct of btwn 38-48, as I recall, although you can survive with a pretty low hct. A low hct (hematocrit) indicates a loss of blood.Marie

To: From: arman_shirin@...Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 06:57:21 -0700Subject: Blood work

Hi everyone,

I have a question. I recently had blood work done and my blood counts were all low. I am getting two units of blood tomorrow. The last time I got blood was April of this year. I am not sure how I am losing this blood. I don't think it's my colon. My question is has anyone experinced blood lost and it was not related to losing it through their colon? Like bone marrow issue, kidney issues? Is there some type of test I can have my doctor do to show it's not my bone marrow or anything else?

Thanks

Arman

arman_shirin (AT) yahoo (DOT) com

Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference. Learn more.

• 1 month later...

Hi:

I have been watching my liver enzymes for the last 3 months and they

have been going up and down for the three months...not really up much

or down much but my CA 19-9 has been on a steady climb. In Feb. it was

46, June 70, July 84 and today I got my Aug. results and they were

103....I'm starting to get really concerned.....has anyone else had

this happen to them.....I have had 3 ERCP's with Brushings and all my

Brushings have come back neg. and 2 of the 3 brushings have had the

FISH TEST done on them at Mayo in Minn. all have been negative and they

have told me they are 95% sure I do not have cancer.....should I be

starting to panic with this CA 19-9 climbing like this? Your thoughts