RemedySpot.com

RE: Re: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAIDS)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

-

I would encourage you to talk with your doctor about Tylenol versus NSAIDS - Ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve, etc. Tylenol and NSAIDS are metabolized by the liver. In prior discussions, some PSC'ers have been told by their physicians to avoid or minimize Tylenol and others told the same for Ibuprofen, etc. I am a believer that minimizing or avoiding ibuprofen is really important. 's GI had limited him in past to two Tylenol per day (he weighs about 124 pounds). Recently he had dental work done and the dental surgeon gave him 800 mg ibuprofen tablets! I asked the GI doc and he wanted him to stop them completely. He was concerned BOTH for the liver, as well as for exacerbating ulcerative colitis by irritating the colon! The doctor preferred that for severe pain, he take small doses of vicodin (Hydrocodone - a narcotic and Tylenol).

Ask what medicine, what dose and how often is safest and best to relieve the type of pain you are having. If that doesn't work, then ask again what other alternatives there are - pain relief is important and there are many ways to relieve pain.

Joanne H

(, Ca., mom of , 17, UC/PSC 2-06; JRA 1998 - in 1999, 's liver tests were up - the first question was the ibuprofen he took for arthritic pain. We stopped Ibuprofen and did one additional test - liver enzymes were down. Next test they were up again - we later found out about PSC, but at first glance, medications were thought to be the culprit)

..... I always thought that i should be more worried aboutthe liver. Also Ibuprofen helps toward healing otheraches and pains, like the joints for example. Althoughon the other hand one should be careful regardinginternal bleeding. Probably in small doses it will befine i guess, correct?