RemedySpot.com

Re: Birth Contol Pills and VVS...the correlation between the two-Chelle

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thanks, I know there's so much I need to learn about hormone levels and sometimes I get overwhelmed and confused.

Re: Birth Contol Pills and VVS...the correlation between the two

Hormone Testing: learn about ranges

Did you get a copy of your hormone results? If not, I suggest you do so. I also suggest you study and learn about hormone levels, & ranges, and when are the appropriate times to actually test your levels. They should not be taken randomly. I 'personally' go by Dr. Vliet's info (from her book Screaming to be Heard). Like everything else, there are always opinions, so you have to decide what you believe. If you do not learn about hormone testing, it is so easy for docs to blow you off!

Birth Control Pills: they can effect the Estrogen and Testosterone Receptors

If you've taken the birth control pill it can actually effect the Estrogen and Testosterone Receptors in the Vulvar skin even AFTER you have STOPPED using it. If you look back

through the older posts you will find tons of info on hormones and how the synthetic progestins in the bc pills actually BLOCK the E. & T. receptors and then lead to Vulvar pain. You can also have blocked receptors even if you have NORMAL blood levels of your sex hormones, and that is where applying estrogen and/or testosterone may help the vulvar skin.

I took the pill for ten years total and my vulvar skin was in terrible shape. Raw, irritated, even splitting at it's worst in my early 30's. I knew there was a hormonal connection for me. Once I began using topical Estrogen (Estrace cream) the vulvar skin began to heal. I personally believe in using bio-identical Estradiol. It is the exact same thing as made by our ovaries. Premarin is synthetic...it is pregnant horse urine. I'm not a horse! *grin* I did use topical T. too.

Studies have shown that adding topical T. with the E. will actually INCREASE Estrogen receptors. Now another important thing to note is to use bio-identical T. too and not the synthetics.

Steroid creams on the vulva:

Steroid creams may indeed need to be used for Lichen Sclerosis and I'm sure other conditions but they should be used with caution. Steroid creams can thin the delicate tissue of the vulva, leading to more pain. I think it's good to use Estrace cream if you are using steroid creams (but that is just my two cents).

PT (Physical Therapy) for vulvar pain:

PT can be so good for vulvar pain if you have tight pelvic floor muscles. My top two issues with vulvar pain are: pelvic floor dysfunction/with structural issues and hormonal issues, too. Some of us have more than one

cause of the vulvar pain, so you may indeed need to keep with going to PT. It can help with the burning pain of vestibulitis, too!

, you are not alone. I know it's frustrating, but hang in there and be determined to keep pressing. I wish I could tell you exactly what will work for sure for you...but I believe you are slowly figuring it out! ;)

Sorry this is long, but it's hard to explain and condense. I hope it at least helps some. Hugs, Chelle

Supercharge your AIM. Get the AIM toolbar for your browser.