RemedySpot.com

Re:fear of the future

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I was diagnosed with UC and PSC over 23 years ago. Other than my first itching episode, I have been pretty much without symptoms, other than mild depression and significant fatigue. I do take Urso and it lowers my alk phos, but not enough to reach normal. My main problem was the UC and I had my colon removed in 1999. Now I have issues with bone density loss and osteoporosis because of the lack of vitamin D absorption (which I was never told about) due to not having a colon.

Mostly I worry about the future and if the Urso is just prolonging the inevitable. If so will it prolong it to the point where I will be so old I won't be considered for a liver transplant, in other words would it be better for me to get the transplant over with while I am still at an age where I will benefit from the improved quality of life I will have after the transplant (more energy and less depression)? Anyway I have gone for over 23 years without the need for a transplant and without any complications with the disease.

Hopefully your son is on Urso and will have the same benefits from it as many of us do. Even if he needs a transplant 20 - 30 years from now he will still be young enough to be able to handle the surgery and I'm sure the surgery will be so highly improved by then or even to the point where surgeries aren't necessary for PSC anymore!

This is a great group, but sometimes it can be a little depressing. Just remember that there are many of us out there beating the odds.