RemedySpot.com

Gall bladder removal

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello eveyone, I went to the ER about upper right pain in my side. They are not sure yet ( i have to have an ultrasound in the morning) but they think it may be my gall bladder and may need surgery, I am wondering if i have it removed how will if effect my liver? Anyone had their gall bladder removed after being diagnosed with PSC? Thanks again, w

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Yes I had mine removed 19 years ago when I was first diagnosed. For the most part I haven't missed it. Everyone is different but I haven't had to change my diet or anything.

Ian (52) PSC 89

Hello eveyone,

I went to the ER about upper right pain in my side. They are not sure yet ( i have to have an ultrasound in the morning) but they think it may be my gall bladder and may need surgery, I am wondering if i have it removed how will if effect my liver? Anyone had their gall bladder removed after being diagnosed with PSC?

Thanks again,

w

-- Ian Cribb former P.Eng. (resigned in good standing)

Guest guest

Yes I had mine removed 19 years ago when I was first diagnosed. For the most part I haven't missed it. Everyone is different but I haven't had to change my diet or anything.

Ian (52) PSC 89

Hello eveyone,

I went to the ER about upper right pain in my side. They are not sure yet ( i have to have an ultrasound in the morning) but they think it may be my gall bladder and may need surgery, I am wondering if i have it removed how will if effect my liver? Anyone had their gall bladder removed after being diagnosed with PSC?

Thanks again,

w

-- Ian Cribb former P.Eng. (resigned in good standing)

Guest guest

Yes (and MANY of us have). See message 26089 for a blow by blow account - I don't miss it at all. There's also a poll in the archives (55% of those responding had it removed). The Dr. recommendation was for a low-fat diet (~30 gms fat/day) for a couple of months. Your gallbladder responds to a high fat meal by dumping it's bile. If you do eat a high fat meal, you may feel the effects (kind of goes right through you). After a couple of months, your system compensates for it. Personally, I think it was a source of infection, at the very least exacerbating my PSC.

It's a really quick surgery. Almost all are done laparoscopically now (4 little incisions). Good Luck!

Arne

Hello everyone,

....I am wondering if I have it removed how will if effect my liver? Anyone had their gall bladder removed after being diagnosed with PSC?

Thanks again,

Guest guest

Yes (and MANY of us have). See message 26089 for a blow by blow account - I don't miss it at all. There's also a poll in the archives (55% of those responding had it removed). The Dr. recommendation was for a low-fat diet (~30 gms fat/day) for a couple of months. Your gallbladder responds to a high fat meal by dumping it's bile. If you do eat a high fat meal, you may feel the effects (kind of goes right through you). After a couple of months, your system compensates for it. Personally, I think it was a source of infection, at the very least exacerbating my PSC.

It's a really quick surgery. Almost all are done laparoscopically now (4 little incisions). Good Luck!

Arne

Hello everyone,

....I am wondering if I have it removed how will if effect my liver? Anyone had their gall bladder removed after being diagnosed with PSC?

Thanks again,

Guest guest

-- I had mine out in 1991 when I was 22. That is what we thought was

causing my

elevated LFTs.

One thing I would recommend: Ask your MD to do a HIDA scan as well as an u/s. My

u/s

looked normal, but the HIDA scan was what revealed the problem -- that my cystic

duct was

elongated and narrowed. When I had the surgery, I had about 5 years worth of

scar tissue on

it and it was completely blocked. I felt a lot better after getting it out.

Good luck,

Colleen

Guest guest

causing my

elevated LFTs.

One thing I would recommend: Ask your MD to do a HIDA scan as well as an u/s. My

u/s

looked normal, but the HIDA scan was what revealed the problem -- that my cystic

duct was

scar tissue on

Good luck,

Colleen

Guest guest

causing my

elevated LFTs.

u/s

duct was

scar tissue on

Good luck,

Colleen