RemedySpot.com

medical history, etc.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

We've been doing a lot of traveling and that brought the subject of medical histories to mind.

In replying to 's post, I mentioned that my new GI had read and knew more about me at our first meeting than the other GI did in many years.

I always carry a brief medical history with me. The first paragraph (a few sentences) tells my personal history because I want the doctors to consider me a person first.

After that, I give a short medical history with surgeries, etc. I list all of my doctors and their phone numbers. I give a detailed list of all medications I take and when I take them. I list all drug allergies and list in bold print why no one is to give me gentamicin (or another ototoxic drug) without my signed consent due to the damage to my inner ears.

Whenever I had to go to the ER, I had that information in hand because I was usually in crisis at the time and surely wouldn't remember everything in the history. It has been a real time saver for me and, oddly enough, the only one of my doctors to reject the list of medications (updated before each visit) was my former GI.

I would recommend that everyone carry this type of information with them since our illness is rather unusual and providing good accurate information may well save us pain and suffering.

Penny