RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Breast feeding and inflammatory bowel disease

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

My mom breastfed me for 2 1/2 years... and I have UC and PSC... my cousin was breasfed for a while also, not sure about the exact time, but she has Crohn's. As said there is no 100% protection.

arman_shirin@...

Re: Breast feeding and inflammatory bowel disease

Hi Suzanna;There is some protection against IBD (Crohn's and UC) in breastfed infants, but it's not 100%:Klement E, Cohen RV, Boxman J, ph A, Reif S 2004 Breastfeeding and risk of inflammatory bowel disease: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 80: 1342-1352.http://www.ajcn. org/cgi/content/ full/80/5/ 1342Best regards,Dave (father of (22); PSC 07/03; UC 08/03)> I have heard something along these lines before as well. Someone once told me that there was not one person with crohns that had been breastfed. I didn't really believe that because I find

absolutes hard to believe. > I'd love to get info on any of these studies if anyone can dig them up!

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Suzanna,

There are MANY other benefits of breadfeeding so don't get discouraged because it doesn't help with this one case. You are making a difference. Your children will turn out amazing I am sure because of it. My daugher is SUPER smart and I think a lot of it is attributed to 2 years of breastfeeding. My son is still too young to tell.

Arman

arman_shirin@...

Re: Breast feeding and inflammatory bowel disease

Well, I think that stinks!!! I want a 100% guarantee!!! Why is that too much to ask? :)It's a bummer to hear of all the people who have these diseases. I was really hoping beyond hope that I really was making a difference in my kids by breastfeeding them! I can't say I enjoyed doing it, and there were plenty of tears shed. <sigh> Live and learn, I guess. I think I might try going back to the diary-free diet to see if my LFTs are affected. I hate having to do it because it is a real pain. I'm going to take another look at all my bloodwork and see if I can find any correlation and maybe try again to see if there's a change.Suzanna> > There is some protection against IBD (Crohn's and UC) in breastfed > infants, but it's not 100%:

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.