RemedySpot.com

SchaferAutismReport: What's Different About The Brains Of People With Autism?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

From: sarnets-bounces@... On Behalf Of Schafer Autism ReportSent: Friday, June 08, 2012 11:29 PMTo: Schafer Autism ReportSubject: What's Different About The Brains Of People With Autism? Read this report online Large text, printer versionFriday, June 8, 2012p Reader Supported. RESEARCHWhat's Different About The Brains Of People With Autism? By Jon Hamilton NPR Jeff Hudale, who is autistic, demonstrates a face recognition test at the University of Pittsburgh in 2010. Researchers use eye tracking devices to monitor and record what he is looking at. Like a lot of people with autism, Jeff Hudale has a brain that's really good at some things. " I have an unusual aptitude for numbers, namely math computations, " he says. Hudale can do triple-digit multiplication in his head. That sort of ability helped him get a degree in engineering at the University of Pittsburgh. But he says his brain struggles with other subjects like literature and philosophy. " I like working with things that are rather concrete and structured, " he says. " Yeah, I like things with some logic and some rules to it. " So Hudale, who is 40, does fine at his job at a bank. But he doesn't do so well with social interactions, where logic and rules aren't so obvious. " Most people my age are nowadays married, " he says. " But me, not only am I totally single, I've never even had a date. " What Hudale has done for the past 25 years is help scientists understand autism — by letting them study his brain. Hudale's career as a research subject began in 1985. He was 13 and had just been committed to the Western Psychiatric Institute at the University of Pittsburgh, where he was misdiagnosed as a schizophrenic.For rest of today's SAR click here:www.sarnet.org/frm/forsar.htm Today's SAR newslist is human compiled and provided through the support of paid subscriptions. - THANK YOU -$35 for 1 year - or free!www.sarnet.org In This Issue: ••••••••••••••RESEARCHWhat's Different About The Brains Of People With Autism? Siblings of Children With ASD Also at High Risk for SymptomsLess Folic Acid in Pregnancy Tied to Autism: StudyAntidepressants In Water Trigger Autism Genes In FishWeak Head and Neck Control Early Indicator of Autism?Gains in Social Skills Have 'Spillover' Effects on LanguageFamily Social Skills Classes Help AutismSkin Cells Reprogrammed Into Brain CellsNeuroscientists Show How Brain Responds to Sensual CaressNEWSNew Master's Degree in Autism Studies at UTPBUA Study on Autism: 6-year-old Tucson Boy Uses An iPad, And Develops His SkillsOntario Autism Forum Raises Questions About Access To TreatmentEDUCATIONAutistic Student's Parents Prevail Over Hostile Texas School DistrictPEOPLE2 Women Jailed For 'Sadistic' Attack On Autistic Teenager 'Schafer Autism Report' Now an App on iPhone, iPadand Droid! DO SOMETHING ABOUT AUTISM NOW. . . Read, then Forward the Schafer Autism Report.$35 for 1 year - or free!www.sarnet.org Hundreds of Local Autism EventsWeb / EverywhereAlabamaAlaskaArizonaArkansasCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoWeb / EverywhereIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMainelandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriWeb / EverywhereMontanaNebraskaNevada New HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaOhioOklahomaOregonPennsylvaniaWeb / EverywhereRhode IslandSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingWeb / EverywhereSend your LETTER Now's the perfect time to order your free Puzzle Piece kits and launch an autism awareness campaign in your community. When we raise the funding necessary, ARI will see that important research is done, including the large-scale, independent study of vaccinated vs. unvaccinated children Click here. SAR Back Issues The Autism CommunitySupports the Schafer Autism Report. . . Read, then Forward the Schafer Autism Report.$35 for 1 year - or free!www.sarnet.org Biomedical Treatments for Autism Spectrum DisordersScientific References and Abstractswww.autismbiomed.com Copyright Notice: The above items are copyright protected. They are for our readers' personal education or research purposes only and provided at their request. Articles may not be further reprinted or used commercially without consent from the copyright holders. To find the copyright holders, follow the referenced website link provided at the beginning of each item. Lenny Schafer editor@... The Schafer Autism Report is a non-profit corporation Vol. 16 No. 18 Unsubscribe here: www.sarnet.org/frm/unsub2.htm

1 of 1 File(s)

ATT00011.txt