RemedySpot.com

Re: PSC- OCD,ADHD, or?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Stevie

I spend my summers working with at a camp for kids with physical disabilities. These kids have many of the characteristics that you have observed in your child. Certainly OCD and ADHD need to be considered, however, many of the kids I know, deal with the uncertainty of their health and everyday life by acting out, being uncooperative and moody. They can have so little control over their life, that the only power they have is when they are unpleasant. They make people listen to them by acting badly.

I have observed that they respond well to loving attention, emphasizing the good things in their life, talking frankly and openly about their health issues, especially listening to their concerns, and I mean really listening. Parents have to know how their kids feel, what they are afraid of, what goes through their minds when they try to sleep, and what they imagine is the worst thing that will happen to them on their next visit to the doctors. Kids have wild imaginations and can be scared silly of things that can never happen. Kids must know that they will be loved and accepted no matter what happens.

I know parents that only hear what they want to hear and when their child says they feel scared or angry or unhappy the parent says "just don't feel that way" and think the problem has been dealt with. Kids also want to have a daily routine they can depend on, they want to know what is going to happen next and they want to know their parents will be with them, no matter what their health problem are.

Kids also want to have friends who have things in common. One of the best things about the camp I work at is that after a few days, the campers say "When I'm here, I feel normal. I'm just like everyone else." all the kids have a disability so being different is being normal and that is important to every person.

It is a good thing you are doing by seeking advice. Just be sure the people you work with focus on what Tyler does that is good and positive rather then on the poor behavior. If the counselor doesn't feel like a good match for you and your son, ask for a referral to someone else.

This topic is HUGE, every person you talk to will give a different opinion, but if you and Tyler are communicating well, the two of you, with your whole family can find the best path to take.

Take Care

MizKit

Re: Autoimmune diseases & PSC

HAs anyone noticed that their children become more paranoid and fearful of things with mood swings not able to adjust to change well? I believe my son has some tendencies of OCD or ADHD... We are going to see a counselour next week. He has PSC, UC and osteoporosis (all are doing well now ) since the mounds of meds and doctors over the last year....Now, he is on Urso, Singulair and Azacol only. Steroids have been done for over 3-4 months. HELP???

Very bright-academically not affected yet, but he talks out of turn constantly in the class room, disorganized and so on..i

Stevie Ostos (mother to Tyler age 10 )

Stay informed, get connected and more with AOL on your phone.