RemedySpot.com

Re: Lassix swollen ankles

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Amy,

I've been off the Lasix totally for about a year and a half. I was diagnosed during a hospitalization in June of 06 and at that time I had serious congestive heart failure. It resolved once they stablized my lung disease and my heart has been fine since. Most of the severe swelling I had was gone by the time I went home from the hospital though I continued to have some swelling of my feet and ankles for a couple of months. The doctors kept me on 40mg of Lasix once a day for about a year and I've been off of it since around May of 07. The cardiologists that I've seen have always said the heart problems I had then were secondary to my lung disease and that on it's own my heart is fine.

Heart problems are an unfortunate consequence of long term lung disease. Our inability to get enough O2 makes our hearts work way too hard and they get tired. Another reason to treat ourselves kindly and not to push too hard!

Beth-Moderator

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

"Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!"

Miss Frizzle

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Saturday, November 1, 2008 12:10:16 PMSubject: Re: Lassix swollen ankles

Beth: Yes they he said something about fluid around my lungs or was it heart (I feel like I am loosing it) how long did it take you to get rid of it (I know everyone is different) I did have an echo. How much were you on etc? I hate this. Thanks for listening and your help.Amy

From: Beth <mbmurtha (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Saturday, November 1, 2008 10:30:59 AMSubject: Re: Lassix swollen ankles

Amy,

I'm sorry you are going through this. I've been on lasix in the past for swollen legs and feet. What caused it in my case was congestive heart failure. Have they tested your heart recently? (EKG, echocardiogram etc)

I also had to take those huge potassium pills. I took mine every other day and just made sure to eat alot of potassium rich foods.(bananas, oranges, tomatoes, potatoes, honeydew melons.)

I hope that things stablize for you soon. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Beth-Moderator

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 UCTD 06/08

"Take chances, make mistakes and get messy!"

Miss Frizzle

From: Amy Dawn <amy7675 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>To: breathe <Breathe-support@ yahoogroups. com>Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 11:56:36 PMSubject: Lassix swollen ankles

Hi Everyone: Have not been on in a few weeks. Not feeling well SOB O2 6 lpm at rest, swollen ankles, legs. Now I am on lassix. I guess that is why my chest has been hurting more than the normal hurt. I do not like the potassium that they have you take with it. I think I may only take potassium every other day. I guess this edema goes with the end stage. Any feedback?

Amy