Happy re-birthday!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

To Mark F!

From the archives of 2005:

Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 3:05 PM

To:

Subject: RE: bile duct cancer

Michele, I wrote a message to you on this when you first posted. I just wanted to reply again and let you know how I am and hopefully aid you in any way I can. I was diagnosed with Bile Duct Cancer in February of this year. I was lucky in that something told me to get a second opinion after my doctors in Los Angeles said I didn't have cancer. I went to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN and saw Dr. Gores. He, after about a year of looking, found the cancer and started me on his protocol. This consists of 3 weeks of radiation therapy with Chemo followed chemo until transplant. They have had a lot of success and for those who make it through to transplant (there are several things that can knock you out of the protocol) there is about a 90% chance of non-recurrence. I just got transplanted about 10 days ago. When they did the pathology on the old liver they found no evidence of cancer. This is often the case as the radiation does quite a good job. Now I will have to wait 5 years before I can call myself cancer free but I am very hopeful. This Cancer is beatable but you have to act fast. This all needs to be done before the cancer makes it out of the liver. If you have any questions or need further info please feel free to contact me at your convenience. Regards, Mark D. F